• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sig 928 vs. 238

I have fired both firearms and looking into purchasing either for daily carry. I am a slim type and I am looking for a carry piece as small as possible. While the P238 is the smallest and lightest it is .380 whereas the P938 is 9mm and a tad bigger. I'm hopefully that surely someone here on NES can help me with my dilemma.

If you've fired both, you should probably go with your own judgement.

Buy what you're most likely to actually carry. Tons of factors play into that.

I owned the 238 but now have the 928. If you are limiting choice between these two, obviously, I would recommend you go 928. Recoil is fine, sights are great for a small gun and it is very well made. But I only carry it OWB because its too bulky for pocket. Plus with the added safety, drawing it from a pocket and manipulating the safety was too cumbersome for me. With all that said, I pocket carry a PM9 and a Glock26 OWB. The Sig is mostly there for its nice looks :). Below is a pic of all three for comparison.

image.jpg

Last edited:
I still have both and I carry the p238 more because it's the "sport" model but im cong to be getting a better grip and sights for my p938 so which ever you go with look for the sport model...

By sport, you mean smaller correct? I need something that is easy to conceal. I wear a polo and shorts during the summer time, so that is my biggest concern, especially when I tuck the shirt in, not sure how to go about concealing a firearm. I had a bodyguard but have since parted ways with it and I could conceal that pretty well. From what I can tell, the P238 is the same size, yet slightly heavier, correct?

Easy answer: 938 hands down.

i shot em both...got the 938....one of the best carry 9mm's ever, especially if you run a 1911 as a home gun alongside the p938.

If you decide on one, the hogue grips are awesome...i usually dont care for the sticky hogue rubber but on the 938 the little finger groove makes the 2 finger grip that much better.

seriously though the advantages to the 938 are immense: cheaper ammo, more readily available ammo, better ballistics.....i think the difference in recoil is small in comparison to what the 938 offers over the 238.....i am not knocking the 238, its a great gun but the 938 is a step up.

WRT your question, my 938 feeds everything....just look at the mag -> barrel feed angle....i dont think the feed ramp does jack shit which is a good thing....the mag sits up very high and feeds straight into the tilting barrel.

No offense, but the 938 is not one of the best carry 9mms ever. There are a **** load of better EDC handguns in 9mm. It MAY be a really good compact pocket 9mm, but that's debatable...

No offense, but the 938 is not one of the best carry 9mms ever. There are a **** load of better EDC handguns in 9mm. It MAY be a really good compact pocket 9mm, but that's debatable...

Its shoots extremely well for very small gun and has a better stock trigger than any other compact nine and most 9's in general that I've had in my hands. With that and quality of build Yes I'd agree one of best all around 9mm CCW.

So then a follow-up question, of the 9 different models, which would be the recommendation for carry? I was thinking extreme or the "black rubber grip" model, thoughts?

The sport edition comes with the finger grove Hoge grips amd rear sig night sights and a fiber optic front sight and it doesnt have ambi thumb saftey. .. my p238 is the sport amd my p938 is the black edition...

But the model is up to you...if you get a model with wooden grips you can buy the hogue grip for 20 and sell the wooden grips for 60 or trade them...

I am going to a 938 now, I haven't had a chance to shoot with different grips. The model I shot had the rosewood grips, are there laser grips for it yet?

I am going to a 938 now, I haven't had a chance to shoot with different grips. The model I shot had the rosewood grips, are there laser grips for it yet?

i dunno about a laser grip, but the hogue grip is wicked nice. Give it a try. Although it does make pocket carry tougher, i notice almost no difference w IWB. There is a laser that mounts on the dustcover/trigger guard. Honestly w the p938 I dont think you will be disappointed. My p938 and my walther PPS are 2 small 9mms that i can shoot accurately at distance. The trigger on the p938 is absolutely awesome.

On to holsters;

I most likely will be carrying IWB, it looks like the Alien Gear Holsters are the bees knees. What are people's preference?

In the summer, I wear polo shirts and kacki shorts, I am leaning towards the thunder-tech shirt. surprisingly, I tried my friends on and was surprised how well it concealed a firearm.

If you want a pocket gun get the 238 if your gonna carry iwb get the 938. Some can pocket carry the 938 but its a little big for me.

If you want a pocket gun get the 238 if your gonna carry iwb get the 938. Some can pocket carry the 938 but its a little big for me.
I won't be pocket carrying it, that is one of the reasons I chose the 938. I'm looking for holster recommendations at this point.

I have found the Remora holster works really well for IWB carry of Shield 9mm, and Ruger LCR. I bet it would work well for the Sig as well.

Compare sizes I love them both and they are both tiny compared to the shield

238 is on left with houge grips
20140923_165757.jpg

938 on top
20140923_165832.jpg

238 on top of the 938 to see length difference
20140923_165653.jpg

Last edited:
I have read review(s) online that drawing a firearm with the rubber grips from some holders sometimes leads to issues as it snags on cloth on the way out. I don't have any first hand experience in this, but I was thinking about the rubber grip model (reality is I probably will go through a bunch of grips before I find a set I like).

Last edited:
These are small so when you unholster them if you get a full purchase on grip ypu palm covers 1 side and your fingers covers the other because the grips are small so there would be virtually no way for it to rub up on clothing.

I love the look of the wooden models but I love the feeling and function of the rubber finger groves

I have a 938. I got the nightmare because that was my only choice at the time (employee discount, beggars can't be choosers [laugh]). I can definitively state that the grips on the nightmare suck. They are too flat. I bought a set of wood grips (same as the blackwood) and the grip is night and day different (for the better). The wood grips fill the hand better IMHO. I handled a model with the hogue grips at Shooters Outpost before I got mine and I didn't like the hogue grips. Just wasn't for me. I also pocket carry the 938 everyday using an blackhawk size 3 pocket holster. Works pretty well.

At some point I'm going to get the trigger lightened a little so that it is closer to my SR9c.

Back
Top Bottom