• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sig 556 patrol?

connor

NES Member
Anybody selling these in MA? I don't think it's substantially similar to an AR or an AK, from what I know about it. I've heard Tavor and Scars are OK, so would this qualify as sellable with the folding stock pinned?
16485-DEFAULT-l.jpg

Substantially cheaper than a scar but not anything like what a free state rifle goes for

Always liked this platform. Not sure of Mass OK...

Last edited:
Anybody selling these in MA? I don't think it's substantially similar to an AR or an AK, from what I know about it. I've heard Tavor and Scars are OK, so would this qualify as sellable with the folding stock pinned?
16485-DEFAULT-l.jpg

Substantially cheaper than a scar but not anything like what a free state rifle goes for
Looks like a birdcage on the front. You'd need to change that out then pin and weld...

Mass Firearms had the SIG MCX for sale (out of stock currently) for $2089...
I wonder what an upper costs...?
1586459881207.png
Apples to oranges, I know... but, with pre-sale mods, why not?

Last edited:
Without the folding stock I don't see the point, not for me. You could buy a very nice DI AR-15, optic, and have money left over for mags and ammo instead.

But it IS pretty.

I have a 516, it’s def heavy for an AR, but with a comp and a Gieselle trigger it shoots beautifully.

What I don’t like is Sig’s BS policy about selling proprietary spare parts. No other BCG will fit it, and they won’t sell you one alone, you have to buy a complete upper from them (unless they’ve changed that recently).

I believe the 516 has been discontinued as well now. Moving on to their lighter weight version DI M400 series.

16485-DEFAULT-l.jpg

So I have one its a sig 556 xi. Believe they made them for a very short time 2014-2016 they had 300 black out, and 7.62x39 variants as well. They were phased out by the mcx's. It is probably one of the greatest rifles I have ever shot in my short lifetime, but then again im a huge fan of sig rifles so maybe it actually sucks. Its essentially an ak bolt/ gas system all built around a 556 cartridge. It is very heavy but it is very very very smooth. The trigger is smooth, the cycling is smooth, and its definitely a gun worthy of the space in your safe. They are fairly rare to come by. If you have the money to buy one and you find one I would say go for it.

I have a 516, it’s def heavy for an AR, but with a comp and a Gieselle trigger it shoots beautifully.

What I don’t like is Sig’s BS policy about selling proprietary spare parts. No other BCG will fit it, and they won’t sell you one alone, you have to buy a complete upper from them (unless they’ve changed that recently).

I believe the 516 has been discontinued as well now. Moving on to their lighter weight version DI M400 series.
I have one as well. No comp, thing is a flame thrower. But a nice shooter.

I have one as well. No comp, thing is a flame thrower. But a nice shooter.

Don’t know if you’re using the stock trigger, but with a nice trigger and a nice comp it shoots like a .22

Loud AF, but literally zero movement. Really smooth.

Don’t know if you’re using the stock trigger, but with a nice trigger and a nice comp it shoots like a .22

Loud AF, but literally zero movement. Really smooth.
Yeah, definitely LAF!!! Not sure if trigger is stock, bought it used. But, seems to not be an issue.
I've had guys at the range go get better ear protection cause of it, plugs aren't good enough.
But, cleaning it is super easy. Most times I don't even bother, just run a bore snake down it.

Yeah, definitely LAF!!!
I've had guys at the range go get better ear protection cause of it, plugs aren't good enough.
But, cleaning it is super easy. Most times I don't even bother, just run a bore snake down it.

I put a full length Sampson carbon fiber front end on mine so cleaning is kind of a PITA, have to take it off completely to remove the rod. But I still clean it every time, just the way I was taught and I’ll have nightmares if I don’t clean everything after shooting.

I have a 551A1 that I put a 556 lower on
so it could take AR mags.Pre-ban SIG mags
are hard to come by but not the AR ones.
The rifle is a little heavy,but I will take it over
an AR any day.Stock,and muzzle pinned,and your all set.

Looks like the Sig 556-Patrol is basically a 551A1 that accepts STANAG mags... Correct?

The Sig SCM (Sig 556 with a fixed A2 style stock) was commonly sold by Four Seasons until they were discontinued. There were problems with the barrel being crooked and most of the aftermarket parts aren't available in the US, so Sig switched over to making the MCX pattern rifles with more commonality with the AR pattern.
iu

I almost bought one from a NESr a few years back until my bank account thought better of it.

Last edited:
Haven’t seen them for sale for a while. Sig pro shop was dumping some 556xi last year for under 1K. May be worth calling. Shop to MA FFL that will massify it for you.

I bought a Sig SCM at 4Seasons then moved to NH.
when I tried to transfer the same gun I purchased from them back into MA, they said it was “illegal”.

Go figure.

Back
Top Bottom