• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SIG 553s

• Thread starter Deleted member 67409
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67409

I've been watching Mishaco videos on the SIG 550-series guns that JDI brought in this year and I'm curious about the 553, 553R, and 553BK. Does anyone own one? How would you compare them to similarly priced non-Swiss competition, like LMT/KAC/HK ARs?

Just to be super clear, I live in NH, so options aren't a problem and I'd likely be buying from Mishaco or somewhere else online. That being said, I really want to try before I buy.

Word to the wise go to John Doe Investigations and preorder a 551 (16 inch barrel ) rare barrel length in the US.

So about barrel length...

I just moved to NH so I don't yet own a suppressor. That being said, I expect to buy a Dead Air Sandman S, which is just under 7" long. If I get a 16" gun, 16 + 7 = 23", turning a carbine into something fairly front heavy. But if I go with something with a 9-12" barrel, let's say 12 + 7 = 19", which is pretty short and compact. The can would also cut back on a lot of the negativities of having a short barreled 5.56 gun.

Now, of course, with a pistol-length barrel, I'd either be stuck with using a brace or SBRing the gun.

I just moved to NH so I don't yet own a suppressor. That being said, I expect to buy a Dead Air Sandman S, which is just under 7" long. If I get a 16" gun, 16 + 7 = 23", turning a carbine into something fairly front heavy. But if I go with something with a 9-12" barrel, let's say 12 + 7 = 19", which is pretty short and compact. The can would also cut back on a lot of the negativities of having a short barreled 5.56 gun.

Now, of course, with a pistol-length barrel, I'd either be stuck with using a brace or SBRing the gun.
I think a 300 Blackout would be your best bet if you are going with a 13 or less barrel. The ease of putting on a stock or resale the 551, 550 and the PE90s guns would be your best bet. If you want to fool around with 5.56 and suppressors I would just get a short barrel/ piston upper AR 15 and save 3k or more over the Sig 550 guns

All three of these are all still there as of 10:30 this morning

I’d go with a short barrel (10.5”-12”) and use a pistol brace. SBR’s are great but what are you really gaining by paying the $200 tax, paperwork and legalities of where you can bring it.

AR pistols can be carried in a vehicle in NH. While an SBR falls under the length requirement it hasn’t been tested or specifically accepted to do the same.

you can always SBR it later but I’d spend the money on the an first.

Also, good choice on the Sandman S. I have one in jail right now.

I’d go with a short barrel (10.5”-12”) and use a pistol brace. SBR’s are great but what are you really gaining by paying the $200 tax, paperwork and legalities of where you can bring it.

AR pistols can be carried in a vehicle in NH. While an SBR falls under the length requirement it hasn’t been tested or specifically accepted to do the same.

you can always SBR it later but I’d spend the money on the an first.

Also, good choice on the Sandman S. I have one in jail right now.

They're great guns to keep in your closet at home with a tin can of ammo if you live in Switzerland, waiting for that invasion war that will never ever happen ever.

Courtesy of @MattM I was able to try out a 550, 551, and 553. They were all very nice but Matt did a good job of talking me into a 550. So, I'll start saving up for one.

Back
Top Bottom