• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sig 239 Caliber 40, 9, or 357 SIG

Opinion time,

I am poised to buy a new carry gun and since I had the choice of Henry Ford's model T offering in colors when I lived in the peoples republik in Sig pistols the color combo I am most lusting after is the scorpion.

Color (and tangent aside) I was wondering the good people of NES' thoughts on which caliber 239 I should pick up.

9mm:
I have a ton of ammo and generally believe that the FBI and data concur that this has won the caliber war, cheaper to shoot, etc

40: Heavier bullets and plummeting ammo prices because everyone is tossing their fo-tay. Also, one only loses 1 round of capacity from the 9mm in a 239

357 Sig: Because life is too short to not have cool exotic and downright pointless carry calibers. And because of the interchangeability of calibers with a barrel swap BACK to fo-tay...

OR....forget all that and get a 229 in 9mm because capacity, open carry, goodness.

Fire away.

Carried a 239 in 40 for a while. Big snappy recoil. Loved the gun, was very comfortable in a leather pancake OWB, but wanted more capacity and those single stacks don't get it done! Go for the 229.

Definitely a great gun though.

I had a P239 in .40. Sold it. Don't miss it. I've still got a P239 in 9mm. I wouldn't miss it either.

The P239 just doesn't work for me. It feels so darn top heavy. The bore axis is just way too high, and the gun just isn't very space efficient. I much prefer either my Kahr K9 (for ease of concealment) or Glock 19 for overall packaging.

But if you have to have a P239, then get it in 9mm. Good 9mm JHP (think HST, not Hydrashok) performs very well, has less recoil than .40 or .357 SIG and is cheaper, so you can practice more.

I had a P239 in .40. Sold it. Don't miss it. I've still got a P239 in 9mm. I wouldn't miss it either.

The P239 just doesn't work for me. It feels so darn top heavy. The bore axis is just way too high, and the gun just isn't very space efficient. I much prefer either my Kahr K9 (for ease of concealment) or Glock 19 for overall packaging.

But if you have to have a P239, then get it in 9mm. Good 9mm JHP (think HST, not Hydrashok) performs very well, has less recoil than .40 or .357 SIG and is cheaper, so you can practice more.

Pretty much my answer as well. I have a 239 in .40 and I never shoot it. Having said that, it's plenty heavy so .40 is easy to shoot with it. I wouldn't buy anything in .357 sig.

P229 in 357sig. 12 rounds in the mag and 1 in the pipe. They shoot great and if you want, can convert to .40

I have a P229 in fortay and an additional .357 Sig barrel and I do carry it. I'm comfartable with this size pistol, but I have to dress around it, or go j frame when wardrobe demands it. I think the P239 has a lot going for it, but I never have carried one, but I have known plenty of folks who did in the past and they didn't seem to have any complaints (agency issue). If I were getting one, I'd go for one in 9mm. The reason is controability in a fairly small package, and with the most modern loadings, 9mm is extremely efficient as a defensive round.

Here is the deal with 239. A good pistol and I had one.
It's heavy for a seven round weapon-not including chamber
Limited capacity
If you want a carry then get a revolver or a glock 27 with 9 in the pipe. I also bought the 40 and have a 9mm barrel. When the ammo scare was about I could shoot two calibers. Sig is a beast for what it is. Trigger pull is great but I think there are other better options out there. Watch Hickok 45 on you tube

Here is the deal with 239. A good pistol and I had one.
It's heavy for a seven round weapon-not including chamber
Limited capacity
If you want a carry then get a revolver or a glock 27 with 9 in the pipe. I also bought the 40 and have a 9mm barrel. When the ammo scare was about I could shoot two calibers. Sig is a beast for what it is. Trigger pull is great but I think there are other better options out there. Watch Hickok 45 on you tube

If you want über-concealable get a seacamp. People laugh at the 32caliber but its no joke. I actually bring it to the beach it's so small

IMO, .357 SIG is the most efficient self defense round out there. The 239 is a great gun, bit its weight to capacity ratio is poor.

That's the thing with the P239. You can more than double capacity for the same size (e.g. Glock 19) or you can have the same capacity in a much smaller package. It's a big heavy high bore axis low capacity single stack. The single distinguishing feature is that it's a Sig. But tastes vary and for people who love Sigs it's a hell of handgun.

Several years ago I used my Sig P239 in .40 in several classes and put thousands of rounds through it -- thought it was awesome. Back then the next handgun was always fun, and I tried a bunch of them. Somewhere along the line the fun of a new handgun gave way, and the gun just became a tool. I can't remember the last time I shot a centerfire handgun round in anything other than a Glock 19 or 34.

I dig my p239 in 9mm but could never explain why. The gun is awful in pretty much any metric/statistic and yet i still like it....its got a certain retro feel going for it.

certainly agree w everyone else there are many superior carry choices but whatever I still dig the P239.

WRT chambering, i agree modern 9mm is pretty damn nasty....and while i dig .357sig my wallet does not.

I went with option c....229 Extreme in 9mm. Love the gun and my excuse was that it will be winter for a while so I can work back into carrying a larger Sig with a jacket...

Back
Top Bottom