• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sig .22LR conversion

thinking about getting this kit to help my wallet out in the long run. anyone have one? your thoughts on it? am i better off just buying an actual dedicated .22lr pistol like a ruger mkIII?

They can be really accurate. They work great for trigger time if it's going on your edc.
I like them they are fun. Can't go wrong with either. However, most of the conversions you need to use high velocity .22's, like CCI or or other quality hollowpoints. The MKIII's will eat just about any type of ammo.

I've never shot the Sig kit but I had the chance to look at one on a friends gun. It looked like it was well made. I have conversion kits for handguns and select fire rifles as well as dedicated rifles revolvers pistols and full autos. It depends on what you want it for. For pure accuracy my model 41 will out shoot any of the .22 handguns but not by much. The Tactical Solutions kit on my 1911 is at least as accurate as the same gun in .45acp. Conversion kits are great training aids, but good ones won't be much cheaper than a dedicated gun.

I've never shot the Sig kit but I had the chance to look at one on a friends gun. It looked like it was well made. I have conversion kits for handguns and select fire rifles as well as dedicated rifles revolvers pistols and full autos. It depends on what you want it for. For pure accuracy my model 41 will out shoot any of the .22 handguns but not by much. The Tactical Solutions kit on my 1911 is at least as accurate as the same gun in .45acp. Conversion kits are great training aids, but good ones won't be much cheaper than a dedicated gun.

Some good info right there, especially that last line. I have a .22LR conversion for my Sig P226 and a Kimber .22LR conversion for my 1911. Also have a Ruger Mark II. The Ruger is a great gun (bought mine in 1980 at a Hardware store for $25.), and I like it for introducing new shooters because the grip is small and the gun is light. It's also good for practicing basic blocking and tackling, i.e. trigger and sight alignment. All trigger time is good. But the gun has a very unique "feel" to it compared to most other guns, and certainly compared to service automatics.

But the P226 .22LR conversion is a perfect, low-cost simulator for my P226, and allows me to work on all the fundamentals, like draw, the DA/SA control, transitions, etc. with the actual gunfor literally pennies a round. Look and feel is perfect. But then, there really is no other choice, except maybe Airsoft or a Mosquito, both of which have their own significant limitations. On the 1911 side, the Kimber conversion is great, as well, but I think after having it for a while, if I had to do it again today, I'd buy a GSG 1911 as a dedicated 1911 surrogate for about the same money (~$320) as I paid for the Kimber conversion.

BTW, biggest bite in the ass with the Sig conversion (Kimber, too) is the price of the mags. Best deal I could find on them was just under $30 each, and most of the time they're listed for well north of that. What's up with that?

Some 22LR kits are extremely accurate. My Marvel Long Slide conversion came with a .72 in ten round test target done at 50 yds. At $390 this conversion wasn't cheap, you get what you pay for.

Back
Top Bottom