Sig .22lr conversion kit for P226 review

I picked up one of the new Sig 22lr conversion kits for my P226 the other day from First Defense. The fit and finish of the kit is very nice. The rear sight is adjustable for windage and elevation. The slide comes with the new barrel, guide rod, and spring. Installing it on the P226 is as easy as taking the regular slide off, and sliding the new slide on to the frame. My only gripe is that it comes with one mag (the mags are polymer).

My first trip to the range was a quick one, and due to the lack of mags I only put about 110 rounds down range. Fired Aguila plated (50 rounds), Federal bulk plated (50 rounds), and CCI stingers (10 rounds) down range without a hiccup. Didn't clean the gun after the visit, and went a second time about 3 weeks later after I picked up 3 more mags. Put 300+ rounds downrange using just Federal bulk ammo. Had two FTE's during the visit, and I'd have to blame the ammo as sometimes the bulk packs seem a little inconsistent. All in all this kit seems to pretty much feed whatever you give it, and is pretty reliable. Once it's sighted in its fairly accurate. A very fun little conversion kit, and I'd highly recommend it to people that want to shoot their 226 cheaply.

Edit: There is no chambered round indicator on the conversion kit.

Here's a couple of shots with the conversion kit installed.
attachment.php

attachment.php

100 rounds rapid fire from 7 yrds (two 40 round strings, and a 20 round string).
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_0005.JPG
    DSC_0005.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 189
  • DSC_0009.JPG
    DSC_0009.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC_0014.JPG
    DSC_0014.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. I am sure more than a few of us sig owners have been looking at the kit. I am glad to see it handles more ammo than the mosquito. That thing is way too finicky.
One thing that is interesting though (and completely off topic) is that by putting this kit on, our MA compliant handguns may be no longer. Is there a Ma**h*** (excuse me, chambered round indicator...) and has it been tested for compliance? Not that I give a rats ass but it has crossed my mind that I should pick this up soon. Also, this is a nice way of working around other crap. I am looking to buy the tactical barrel (not illegal here, but not sold here either...) for my p226 this way, since barrels are not restricted items. All of this does make it really clear how dumbass these AG regs are though.

Thanks for posting this. I am sure more than a few of us sig owners have been looking at the kit. I am glad to see it handles more ammo than the mosquito. That thing is way too finicky.
One thing that is interesting though (and completely off topic) is that by putting this kit on, our MA compliant handguns may be no longer. Is there a Ma**h*** (excuse me, chambered round indicator...) and has it been tested for compliance? Not that I give a rats ass but it has crossed my mind that I should pick this up soon. Also, this is a nice way of working around other crap. I am looking to buy the tactical barrel (not illegal here, but not sold here either...) for my p226 this way, since barrels are not restricted items. All of this does make it really clear how dumbass these AG regs are though.

Good question about the chambered round indicator. I'll have to check it when I get home.

I'm not sure that placing a new slide on an existing MA compliant gun would make it illegal. The conversion kit isn't a firearm. The original P226 was a MA compliant handgun per the AG's rules. The reason I'm thinking there shouldn't be an issue is due to the fact that it's not illegal to change the trigger pull, and that's one of the AG's so called rules (10lb trigger).

I'm not a Lawyer, so my "assumption" above may be way off. Maybe one of the Law experts will chime in (don't flame me Scriv [smile]).

Mass compliance applies ONLY TO DEALERS. You can own whatever you want as long as it complies with the AWB and you can find someone to sell it to you.

Good question about the chambered round indicator. I'll have to check it when I get home.

I'm not sure that placing a new slide on an existing MA compliant gun would make it illegal. The conversion kit isn't a firearm. The original P226 was a MA compliant handgun per the AG's rules. The reason I'm thinking there shouldn't be an issue is due to the fact that it's not illegal to change the trigger pull, and that's one of the AG's so called rules (10lb trigger).

I'm not a Lawyer, so my "assumption" above may be way off. Maybe one of the Law experts will chime in (don't flame me Scriv [smile]).

I never said illegal, I said non-compliant. So by buying the kit, the gun is no longer "safe" and thusly kits could be used as an end run around the AG regs. ie; Buy a frame for one gun, then buy the kit to make it into something else. Limited utility but I can see people like Kimber selling conversion kits for S&W 1911s this way. Cheap kimberizing without having to send it out. This could get her panties in a bunch, although I am not sure there is anything she could do about it, but then again threats are just as good if they get you what you want.

I never said illegal, I said non-compliant. So by buying the kit, the gun is no longer "safe" and thusly kits could be used as an end run around the AG regs. ie; Buy a frame for one gun, then buy the kit to make it into something else. Limited utility but I can see people like Kimber selling conversion kits for S&W 1911s this way. Cheap kimberizing without having to send it out. This could get her panties in a bunch, although I am not sure there is anything she could do about it, but then again threats are just as good if they get you what you want.

Illegal, non-compliant, I believe the AG thinks those words have the same meaning [wink]. Needless to say, Jar is right. The AG reg's are for Dealers.

I've edited the initial review to show that there is NO chambered round indicator.

Hmm, i might look into one of these. Wish it was more like $150-200, rather then 299. Anyways how many rounds of .22lr does the magazine hold? Also would there be any issue with wear and tear on the gun if you swapped between the conversion kit and the normal slide a couple times per week?

Hmm, i might look into one of these. Wish it was more like $150-200, rather then 299. Anyways how many rounds of .22lr does the magazine hold? Also would there be any issue with wear and tear on the gun if you swapped between the conversion kit and the normal slide a couple times per week?

Sig only sells 10 round mags. I don't believe Sig has any plans make mags with a higher count, but that doesn't mean someone else won't. As of right now I know of no one that makes mags for the kit other than Sig.

I've put at least a thousand rounds threw my conversion kit with at least 500 9mm in between. I see no wear and tear on either the frame or either slide that isn't out of the norm.

I have one and like it as well. One thing to remember with them... I'm used to dry firing my Sig 226. Without thinking I did it one day with the 22lr kit installed and dinged up the damn thing... DOH!

Rich

I have one and like it as well. One thing to remember with them... I'm used to dry firing my Sig 226. Without thinking I did it one day with the 22lr kit installed and dinged up the damn thing... DOH!

Rich

Ouch. Yeah, they say to oil up the .22 kit very good before using it. If not you'll have problems and probably have a really miserable experience with the kit.

Back
Top Bottom