• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sig 229 with rail & light holster recommendations

SDG

Well I hate to start another holster thread. But I couldn’t find a good recommendation for my specific need out there on the inter-webs.

I have a sig 229 with a rail and plan on putting a OlIght PL-MINI Valkyrie on it. Looking for a good holster. OWB preferably. I’d even go with a paddle type if thats what I could find. Anyone out there running this set up?

i have a G17 with olight on it - and i really like this holster. it may be different from what you want, but i found the lock system to be quite practical.
i got a layer of electrical tape on the magnet that holds the barrel.
View: https://www.amazon.com/Orpaz-Compatible-Streamlight-SureFire-Attachment/dp/B08QJRG2PG

get it from amazon so you could return it if it will not work for you. i tried quite a bit of models and most of them did not hold gun well at all with the olight attachment there, or it would not go into holster well. i bet there is something better out there than this design, but, i so far did not find it. and i specifically wanted level 2 or level 3 holster with a push release.
1612023354873.png

Awesome thanks. I’ll check them out.
remember what i said about electrical tape on the magnet - 1 or 2 layers will help a ton as is it grabs the barrel, so, it is unpleasant when you try to pull it out - it holds gun too much.
good for a duty carry, i guess - but for the other purposes - too much grab.

grr. i also remembered one more thing. :) i guess i need to show a photo. in a stock form that stupid magnet also travels up. so i inserted a tube into that contraption, so the magnet is locked in place. after that it was perfect - for me.

1612025894695.png

Last edited:
remember what i said about electrical tape on the magnet - 1 or 2 layers will help a ton as is it grabs the barrel, so, it is unpleasant when you try to pull it out - it holds gun it too much.
good for a duty carry, i guess - but for the other purposes - too much grab.

grr. i also remembered one more thing. :) i guess i need to show a photo. in a stock form that stupid magnet also travels up. so i inserted a tube into that contraption, so the magnet is locked in place. after that it was perfect - for me.

View attachment 443428

Thanks for the insight. I don’t actually mind a mechanical release on a holster, be it lever or strap. You can train yourself to overcome those things without too much effort. I’ve got tons of rugrats running around my house all the time so an extra level of safety to me is worth it most of the time.

Thanks for the insight. I don’t actually mind a mechanical release on a holster, be it lever or strap. You can train yourself to overcome those things without too much effort. I’ve got tons of rugrats running around my house all the time so an extra level of safety to me is worth it most of the time.
i keep that g17 loaded at all times and this mechanical release is a plus.
the major difference of that orpaz is that the lower part of the holster slides in/out and locks with a bolt, so, you can adjust it and get rid of all gaps - so gun fits and slides in perfectly.

the issue with olight is - it is not exactly the standard size and other holsters that were done for streamlight did not fit exactly right.

with a tube inserted instead of a spring i also made it so that a release lever has no gap also, so, gun is secured perfectly, nothing rattles and fits well.

it is of course a bit retarded to have to do so much work on a $100 holster, but, nothing is perfect.

Understand a P229 with Olight mini is going to really limit your holster options. Personally if I needed that OWB holster it would be from black point

Understand a P229 with Olight mini is going to really limit your holster options. Personally if I needed that OWB holster it would be from black point

I have a habit of backing myself into corners. I’ll check them out thanks.

Back
Top Bottom