Sig 229 or Sig 239?

yanici

NES Member
I'm hoping for a Sig in my future. This will be my carry gun. It will be in .40 cal. Now, the size and weight of the 239 and 229 are almost the same. I'm leaning toward the 229 but would appreciate some ideas from you guys. I don't think the hi-cap mags availability is in issue with me. So which would you get and why?[thinking]

I have a 226 and 239 in 9mm. Love them both.

For carry it is always the 239. Moderate differences in size can mean a big difference in comfort, particularly when carrying IWB.

I'm in metrowest if you'd be interested in trying or shooting them. I have holsters for both. My favorite, however, is the Milt Sparks IWB for the 239.

Best,

Rich

I have a 239 in 357 Sig as an IWB carry gun - I like it. It's a nice size for shirt tucked over IWB carry, with a fairly thin profile up front, small grip to avoid printing and a long enough barrel to stabilize the pistol in the holster without having to sink the whole pistol too deep in the waistband for an easy draw.

However, if I'm wearing a cover garment that will allow an OWB carry, it's a full size S&W M&P45 - prior to that, a Sig 2340. Both are larger, a little easier to shoot well, and higher magazine capacity than the 239 - closer to the specs of the 229.

So, how do you want to carry most of the time? Which of these two Sigs fits that better? Either of them is a good choice, and they will both do a good job of filling the others shoes. If you're leaning to the 229 already, maybe that should be the way to go.

Ideally, you should find someone (or someplace) with both to compare side to side, and even better if you can find holsters to try at the same time. There are a lot of factors to consider, and most of those can only be decided by you. It's not like you asked whether carrying a Sig 229 or a Lorcin is a better idea. [wink]

How big are your hands? If you have medium-sized hands, you might find that the 239 fits your hand better than the 229. Try them both and see which fits your hand better.

The capacity of 7+1 versus 10+1 is not a big difference. Personally, I'd lean towards the 239 because it is easier to conceal.

The P239 is going to be a bit easier to carry.

That said, the P229 will have less muzzle flip and better capacity with preban mags. (12 rounds).

-Mike

I have a P226 in 9mm and a few of the P229's in Sig357, 9mm, 40SW.

I love the sig as its the first SA pistol I ever owned but the P229's just fit my hand better and I'm also dead nuts accurate with them.

The Hogue slip on or Hogue replacement grips also helped a great deal.

The P229 in 9mm holds 13 rounds and I also have aftermarket mags MEGAR that hold 18 and original sig mags that hold 20.

The P229 40sw holds 12.

The 239 and 245's are next on my list.

I have a 226 and 239 in 9mm. Love them both.

For carry it is always the 239. Moderate differences in size can mean a big difference in comfort, particularly when carrying IWB.

I'm in metrowest if you'd be interested in trying or shooting them. I have holsters for both. My favorite, however, is the Milt Sparks IWB for the 239.

Best,

Rich

I have both the 239 and 229 in .40. Always end up carrying the 239 since its a bit slimmer and feels better in the IWB holster.

In my case the 239 is much more accurate and fits like a glove with the hogue rubber grips with finger grooves....

The SIG 239 in 9mm is a superb carry pistol. However, before buying one chambered for .40 S&W, I suggest you find a way to try out someone else's. A lot of folks find the muzzle flip in a .40 239 excessive.

I have both the 239 and 229 in .40. Always end up carrying the 239 since its a bit slimmer and feels better in the IWB holster.

In my case the 239 is much more accurate and fits like a glove with the hogue rubber grips with finger grooves....

How's the recoil between the 239 and the 229 (in .40 S&W)?

I have to 239 (9mm), and find it comfortable to carry IWB, or Out. I am a pretty skinny guy, and wearing t-shirts in the summer can be tricky with some of Sigs bigger models. I also find that it fits very nice in my hand. I personally don't mind the lower cap. of the mag since less rounds means less weight. If it were ever a concern i would carry extra mags.

Just my 2¢

Thanks for all the replies and offers to shoot. I saw a 229, .40 with two mags today for $790. I goota sleep on this though.

If that was a P229 with night sights and 2 12 round preban mags I would snatch it up before someone else buys it.

BTW the mags should have a zipper looking joint at the back end with witness holes.

If they have the witness holes on the side the mags are made in Italy and are most likely Magar mags.

The best Sig mag IMO are the zipper back ones and they are becoming very expensive and hard to find.

I own 2 or 3 of this model

Thanks for all the replies and offers to shoot. I saw a 229, .40 with two mags today for $790. I goota sleep on this though.

USA mags are crap and should not in any way be compared with Mec-Gar. Mec-Gar makes OEM magazines for a number of large firearms manufacturers.

I agree with others, it all depends, like everything else, on the size of your hand [laugh2]
If you go with the 239 - get the Hogue grips for it and you won't be disappointed

I'm hoping for a Sig in my future. This will be my carry gun. It will be in .40 cal. Now, the size and weight of the 239 and 229 are almost the same. I'm leaning toward the 229 but would appreciate some ideas from you guys. I don't think the hi-cap mags availability is in issue with me. So which would you get and why?[thinking]

Shoot both and see what you like best. The 239 is slightly smaller and the grip is significantly thinner. Guys with larger hands have trouble with it, likewise people with smaller hands love it. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom