• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sig 229 DAO

Dan-o

NES Member
Does anyone know what is involved in changing a sig 229 DAO to a DA/SA gun. It looks like the de-cocker groove is already in the frame. Just wondering.

Thanks
Dan-o

The frame is the same. You'll need to have some internal parts replaced. Is it a normal DAO or a DAK?

The frame is the same. You'll need to have some internal parts replaced. Is it a normal DAO or a DAK?

It is a normal DAO I believe. It is listed in classified under handguns and I was contemplating a trade. Thanks for your help jasons.

Dan-o

If it's a regular DAO then just the hammer needs to be swapped. Obviously you'd need to add the decocking lever, decocking lever spring and decocking lever bearing, and if it has grips without a cutout for the decocking level you'd need to swap those too.

If it's a DAK there are a few more parts. In addition to the above you'd also need to swap the trigger bar, sear, safety lever, and hammer strut. I think that's all...

Great info from jasons there. I went through this turning a DAO (not DAK) P226 into a DA/SA. The internals ran around $60 from Midway, and while the hammer was quoted as a special order with some crazy lead time I had it within a week or so anyway. (I needed grips as well, but found some used Hogues for like $5.)

Well worth doing, imho. There are a lot of beater ex-police DAO P226s out there with, uh, "challenged" cosmetics and pristine internals, and with mine I think I'm still under half the cost of new.

Thanks a-lot guys. You have been very helpful. Now I will not shy away from DAO.

Hopefully I will add another shooter to collection.

Happy shootin!

Dan-o

Check out the FAQ on TopGun Supply "I want to convert my SIG pistol to/from DA/SA, DAK, DAO. What parts do I need?"

http://www.topgunsupply.com/faq.php

Parts to convert from DAO to DA/SA
- Hammer
- Hammer Strut Pin (except P239 which is integral) *Note* Recently, #34280325 and #34280325N have been coming with the Hammer Strut Pin already installed
- Decocking Lever
- Decocking Lever Spring
- Decocking Lever Bearing

Back
Top Bottom