• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sifting pan

CatSnoutSoup

NES Member
Worth every bit of the $12.93 (prime) they want for it on Amazon. Really sturdy build, designed to fit a 5 Gal. bucket, reinforced stainless steel screen (1/4" grid). I can dump an entire tumbler of corn cob media through it in less 10 seconds.

Got it today already thinking about ordering another to put up on the shelf for the future (yeah I like it that much).

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008B0T5Z2

Sifting%20pan.jpg

i have a lyman sifter laying in my cellar, i think i'll go get it. don't know why i don't use it.

Since I load on a Dillon 1000 with a case feeder I need a way to cull out brass other than the caliber I am currently loading. To do this I bought a case sorter from Dillon which separates 45, 40 and 9mm/38. What a great idea. You can sift your brass to clean out the dirt and sort it at the same time; not bad for about $40.

I bought one of those when I first started reloading because I was too cheap to buy a rotary separator.

I wound up buying a rotary separator like 3 days later.

The sifting pan sucked to use IMO. I wound up having to dump every rifle case by hand, and a fair amount of straight walled cases, and also got more media on the floor than I do with the rotary.

I do use it for recovering brass when shooting in sand pits though.

Last edited:
I found a small waste basket made from 1/4" screen, sides and bottom...fits perfectly inside a 5 gallon blue Lowes bucket (must be blue 'cause I have a Dillon [wink]).

I dump my brass in there and a few shakes gets the media out...then just dump the media back into the tumbler...slicker'n duck butter.

I bought one of those when I first started reloading because I was too cheap to buy a rotary separator.

The sifting pan sucked to use IMO. I wound up having to dump every rifle case by hand, and a fair amount of straight walled cases, and also got more media on the floor than I do with the rotary.

I was to cheap too and have the Lyman sifter and wasn't crazy about it especially with wet tumbling. Got the Cabela's rotary separator on sale and couldn't be happier. Best money spent. Also bought the magnet for the pins. Those buggers get every where and the magnet does the trick.

You just never mastered the proper shaking method. Its like winnowing grain and it works flawlessly, even with small case mouth .223.

I was to cheap too and have the Lyman sifter and wasn't crazy about it especially with wet tumbling. Got the Cabela's rotary separator on sale and couldn't be happier. Best money spent. Also bought the magnet for the pins. Those buggers get every where and the magnet does the trick.

The rotary is essential for wet tumbling I believe. I rinse as much soapy out of the tumbler as I can (the FA tumbler comes with straining lids that do a good job at retaining the pins), then dump it into the rotary basket with the bottom full of water. It only takes a few spins to remove all of the pins, unless they're jammed in the case mouth.

FA had a video showing them removing the pins by placing the sifting lids on both ends of the tumbler, and shaking it vertically while submerged in a 5 gallon bucket, but I have never tried that method.

You just never mastered the proper shaking method.

Probably the case [smile]

Back
Top Bottom