• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sierra-5?

Caveman

NES Member
Anybody else interested in the Dead Air Sierra-5? I couldn’t hold back and backordered a Keymo version from Silencer shop. I am hoping to pair it with a sbr I’m waiting for. Really hoping the rules don’t change before I take delivery.

[NRAAM 2022] Dead Air Sierra-5 5.56 Silencer

Keeping in the NFA spirit and because I’m champing at the bit for this thing. Spent today putting together the host between meetings. Can is still on back order with Silencershop so my new baby will have to wear a Sandman S for the time being. 994FF2B9-8552-46E8-BE18-987AF2BFB7DC.jpeg

We’ll see how it holds up. This is my before picture. IMG_5852.jpeg
IMG_5841.jpeg
IMG_5845.jpeg
Just put 56rds through it. Waiting for it to cool and will check it for premature wear. Do another few mags tomorrow and recheck it. So far I like it for the form factor and it sounds good. It’s not overly gassy on my DD 11.5”. Ejection with xtac 55gr was around 2:30-2:45.

IMG_5860.jpeg
176 rds no rattle or premature wear from what I can see. Hopefully I didn’t get a dud. It sucks having the doubt in the back of the mind but so far so good.

Are these photos with the endcap off?
No these are pictures of the blast chamber/blast baffle. Cone pointing towards the camera. Trying to document the blast baffle wear and round counts to see if it performs properly or goes bad at a certain stage. Most reported failures in the first couple hundred rounds.

116 more for a total of 292 rds. So far no destruction or baffle rattle. Some wear showing on the face of the blast baffle. New mount is looking good. And the finish on the endcap is done. IMG_6251.jpeg
IMG_6250.jpeg
IMG_6249.jpeg
IMG_6257.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6249.jpeg
    IMG_6249.jpeg
    661 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6251.jpeg
    IMG_6251.jpeg
    739.9 KB · Views: 5
408 rds. I’m totally disheartened because someone has reported theirs blew up after 3k rounds. Guess I’ll just have to run this till it dies and hopefully it’s not catastrophic and I lose the SN. DA better get their heads out of their butts and open this up for all the original builds to get new baffles. IMG_6299.jpeg

What if you changed out to a KeyMo brake instead of the flashhider. That might help prevent premature wear. Seems like DA is having a lot of issues with the welds on these and not doing a great job repairing them

What if you changed out to a KeyMo brake instead of the flashhider. That might help prevent premature wear. Seems like DA is having a lot of issues with the welds on these and not doing a great job repairing them
I thought about that actually, switched from a 3 prong to this closed tine to even out the wear. At this point I would rather blast through the baffle and either get it warrantied or send it to Ecco for a rebuild. I don’t like the thought of a ticking time bomb just waiting to shatter into pieces. Really takes a lot of the enjoyment out of running drills and training.

Sounds like DA/KG are finally getting the new baffle rebuilds out to people. Question still stands on if it’s a solid fix for 10’s of thousands of rounds of life.

Back
Top Bottom