Siege at Jadottville on netflix

whacko

NES Member
Guess this is the right place to post this.

Got a chance to see Siege at Jadottville on Netflix with my son last night. Great movie about a little known battle in the Congo in the early 1960s. An Irish infantry company tasked with protecting Belgians living in the katanganese province during a civil war there. The UN f***ed them over and refused to send reinforcements when they were attacked by katanganese and mercs and outnumbered 20 to 1. They held their ground for 5 days and ended up surrendering when out of ammo water and food. The UN and the Irish government hushed what happened and the commander was berated for being incompetent even though they killed over 300 attackers and didn't lose a single man. They were held as pow for 5 weeks and released. Very good story.

I saw this movie and could not believe what the government did to these soldiers.
They were berated as cowards for years after the fact even in their own country. I think
it was only recently that they were given medals and awards for what they did and
their dignity was returned to them. I sent the Wikipedia article on this battle to
everybody in my contacts list because it’s worth knowing how people can be so
heroic and end up not being recognized for it. I just thank God that this is a travesty
that his since been corrected.

My hat is off to the Jadottville soldiers!

PS— You could have put this in the what are you
watching on Netflix thread.

Guess this is the right place to post this.

Got a chance to see Siege at Jadottville on Netflix with my son last night. Great movie about a little known battle in the Congo in the early 1960s. An Irish infantry company tasked with protecting Belgians living in the katanganese province during a civil war there. The UN f***ed them over and refused to send reinforcements when they were attacked by katanganese and mercs and outnumbered 20 to 1. They held their ground for 5 days and ended up surrendering when out of ammo water and food. The UN and the Irish government hushed what happened and the commander was berated for being incompetent even though they killed over 300 attackers and didn't lose a single man. They were held as pow for 5 weeks and released. Very good story.
Thanks, gonna try to check it out this weekend.

Great movie, and an event that politics put good people on the wrong sides. It takes some liberties with the actual events (the pretty much jump on the "DagHammarskjold was shot down" bandwagon, and Roger Faulques--the guy Rene Falques, commanding the Katangese Gendarmes was supposed to be--wasn't at Jadotville). And what was an F-4 doing in Africa in 1961? But I digress...

My favorite scene:
"Sniper! Catch me up."
"They showed up and started shooting. You're caught up, Boss."

Back
Top Bottom