Side-by-Side vs. Over/Under for home defense

"The video doesn't make my argument, but it does show that a makes a mess..."

This one makes your argument for you:
[video=youtube_share;gq3RVvL9ZjU]http://youtu.be/gq3RVvL9ZjU[/video]

Last edited:
SxS is a classic double. A O/U is a modern classic double. I have both. I prefer the O/U as I find a slightly better field of view when aiming. I believe this was the reason the O/U has become the preferred double of most. Dove guys love the SxS still as they tend to be lighter and easier to carry all day in the field. The wider forearm models rest easier on the lower arm when carrying. Doving on horseback you'll find the lighter SxS is easy on the one arm you carry it with all day. (unless unmounted) Just my personal experiences.

"The video doesn't make my argument, but it does show that a makes a mess..."

This one makes your argument for you:
[video=youtube_share;gq3RVvL9ZjU]http://youtu.be/gq3RVvL9ZjU[/video]

Covers it pretty well.
Someone gets, up after that and the next thing I expect to hear is "I'll be back" with an Austrian accent.

I've been looking at those Stoegers too. I just can't get used to a single trigger on a double. I don't see too much against a SxS (not a fan of O/Us, got one that I'd like to dump) for home defense.
It has a short receiver so can be pretty short for barrel size. It gives up the "mag" capacity, but makes up for that in quick(ish) reloads.
Not my choice for storming the gates of hell - but I wouldn't feel too undergunned with one to defend my castle.
Just my $.02

I have a 1100 and a 870 but dang it if that Stoeger side by side doesn't look bad ass. I "think" it has an integral rail for a doodad as well. I don't however believe it is Massachusetts compliant. Something about it being black is the problem apparently as everyone know black guns kill.
It's sad but my choice for HD is a 20 gauge youth model Remington pump gun. Just a little fellow but does hold four 3" shells. The first two out of the barrel are lightly waxed number four shot and the last two are number four buckshot. It's plenty I believe and the waxed rounds would knock someone up the stairs.
A wise man once told me that the sound of a racking shotgun is intimidating but it is more likely just to reveal your location inviting an intruder to shoot at the sound. I prefer to have one already racked so I keep the element of SURPRISE!!
I do wish I had a reason to get the Stoeger. Now if they made them with rifled barrels I would top one with a red dot for mass hunting. Never shot a deer past sixty yards in this state anyway. Rock On and remember to run away should you have an avenue of escape available.

Back
Top Bottom