• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SHTF Vest/L.B.V.

i have an old school ALICE pistol belt with H suspenders.

1x field dressing
2x canteens and pouches
2x M16 mag pouch
1x bianchi 92FS holster (also will fit 1911)
1x dump pouch/butt pack

I wear a Blackhawk vest every day at work so thats what I"m comfortable in. Its the omega EOD vest but I use the non AR mag pouches for odds and ends and the bottom pocket will hold 2 more AR mags when I need them.

Here is what I have http://www.opsgear.com/Elite-M4-Tactical-Vest-p/cn-etv.htm

Holds 12 30 rnd Mags, upper right holds 4 10 rnd pistol mags. Upper left whatever i decide to put in it.

Also have a matching thigh holster and a camelback 70oz hydration bladder on the inside back pouch. 2 inside pockets left and right side for whatever.

Also have a Large Alice Pack that with all the essential survuval gear that the wife carries.

Last edited:
i have an old school ALICE pistol belt with H suspenders.

1x field dressing
2x canteens and pouches
2x M16 mag pouch
1x bianchi 92FS holster (also will fit 1911)
1x dump pouch/butt pack

+1 only with the Y suspenders. It's a mix of black and OD so it ain't pretty but it was all under $50 and it's all the heavy duty nylon.

I dont like them personaly, but only cause they bounce around way too much when I run. I have yet to try the SERPA one and that does look a bit more stable, but I had to tighten the one I was using to the point where I was loosing circulation and it was still waggling around too much for my taste.

I wear a drop leg at work. I didn't think I would like it at first but it has a hard plastic plate that keeps it very secure to my leg.

I use a tactical drop leg holster for my Glock 20 when I go hiking. (I live in NH where Open Carry is legal) and I love it. It keeps the weapon just below the natural swing of my arm when I'm hiking so it's out of the way. Many models do swing a lot, look for a wide, double strap model that fits snug to your leg.

I just picked up a fixed blade knife that has a similar left leg drop sheath that I'm curious to try as well.

What about a vest like this http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=322950 ? I currently don't have a good load baring vest. Add an inverted verticle sheath on the left shoulder strap and a drag-bag with back-pack straps.

I use a tactical drop leg holster for my Glock 20 when I go hiking. (I live in NH where Open Carry is legal) and I love it. It keeps the weapon just below the natural swing of my arm when I'm hiking so it's out of the way. Many models do swing a lot, look for a wide, double strap model that fits snug to your leg.

I just picked up a fixed blade knife that has a similar left leg drop sheath that I'm curious to try as well.

What about a vest like this http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=322950 ? I currently don't have a good load baring vest. Add an inverted verticle sheath on the left shoulder strap and a drag-bag with back-pack straps.

Do the pouches come off the vest. The problem I see with it is, if they don't then you're stuck with where they are. I would want to be able to move them around to my liking.

It does not appear that all of the pouches are movable. The holster is mounted on a 45 degree diagonal molle section of the vest, but the rest appears to be on a mesh backing that wouldn't allow for easy configuring.
This got me thinking about how I would design my own tactical vest. Here are my thoughts
First, I'm right handed and most comfortable with a drop leg holster on my right side, so my vest doesn't need my primary sidearm. 1) Three horizonal pistol magazines on the left rib area. A horizonal carrier for a pistol mag makes for an easier draw than a vertical carrier. 2) inverted sheath on the left shoulder strap. 3) 2 vertical rifle magazine pouches below knife carrier on left side. 4) Strap with 5 12ga shot shells over left pectoral. 5) equipment pockets for non combat equipment on right side below shot-shell strap. This would hold mini survival kit, flares, first aid kit. 6) Webbing duty belt for side-arm holster, flashlight holster. 7) Loops for 5 rifle rounds on right shoulder. I haven't tried it for comfort yet, but a horizontal pouch at the small of the back for a rifle magazine. If it's comfortable, this makes a rifle magazine available while prone or pressed into left-side cover that blocks the left side front torso.
I'm sure some will ask, why rifle cartiage loops and rifle magazine pouches, well because I have two different rifles. A removable magazine fed semi-automatic (LR-308) and an internal magazine bolt action (Rem 700). This also gives the option of carrying special purpose rounds (tracer, hollowpoint, etc) in an accessable location so they can be accessed quickly.

I need to look for a better drop leg for my XD's... I've got a cheap one from CTD that is well made and works fine, but it does move a bit, and it's not in my "happy zone" as far as retention goes... with the thumb strap its too slow to get out (even though the strap is velcro or break snaps), without the thumb strap I feel it's too loose (even though it's not). what I'd love is to get a blackhawk serpa II for a dropleg, as that's what my carry holster is, and I love it. got it for $20 outta the second hand bin at rileys.

What does everyone have for a Vest or L.B.V.? I have one of these...http://cgi.ebay.com/LOAD-BEARING-VE...|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50#ebayphotohosting

I have 3 different size PASGT camo flak vests the one i cut the collar and shoulder pads off i use that one under my hoodie for concealed vest if i need a battle ready bulletproof vest i wear my small one with the cut offs and put another large one over the cut off vest i have added kevlar .... that should be about level 3a protection wearing two PASGT vests at the same time.

Any of you guys that go on ARF.com or M4carbine.net know USMC03.

I would love to find something like his custom made setup.

http://www.coloradoshooting.org/uw%20gear.htm

If there is anyone in MA, hopefully around my area that makes custom gear or could do a quality job modifying gear then please PM me as I would like to get something like that made.

Last edited:
Any of you guys that go on ARF.com or M4carbine.net know USMC03.

I would love to find something like his custom made setup.

http://www.coloradoshooting.org/uw%20gear.htm

If there is anyone in MA, hopefully around my area that makes custom gear or could do a quality job modifying gear then please PM me as I would like to get something like that made.

His setup is basically a TT MAV split chest rig with the optional water bladder pouch on the back. Add a few single open top M4 pouches and a few pistol mag pouches and you have that exact set up.

It looks like a beautiful rig, but I'd need to test a couple of things:

Access to Rifle and Pistol magazine pouches when in Left Side cover. Since I, and the operator, are clearly right handed, we prefer to take Left Side cover, so how easily are those magazines accessed from that position?

Access to Rifle magazines from a prone position. I'd like to know that if I have to drop to a prone position, I can still access at least some of my ammo and most rigs have a tendancy to block access when prone. It's still a nice set-up.

His setup is basically a TT MAV split chest rig with the optional water bladder pouch on the back. Add a few single open top M4 pouches and a few pistol mag pouches and you have that exact set up.
It is but it isn't.

His is an improved setup and I like the details that improved it.

It is but it isn't.

His is an improved setup and I like the details that improved it.

Sorry ....... I didn't realize you wanted that exact rig. Its funny, when I was in the Army(88-92) all we had was old school LBE. Most guys wore it really low and unbuckled due to the weight of our rucks. It wasn't really great for sustained combat stuff, but for long walks with heavy gear it was more comfortable. I only wish we had access to the chest rigs they have now!

I never liked having gear around my waist, as it hindered movement and generally would be a pain in the ass! I have a SOE Frog chest rig with the minimum on it for my SHTF gear.

2 X Paraclete (3 M4 mag/3 Pistol mag) shingles
1 X Safariland kydex holster.

The Frog rig internals hold stuff that I need like a compass, signal mirror, chem lights, and basic first aid stuff.

The rest of my gear I put in a Kifaru "Scout". Holds water, extra mags and basic stuff(Snivel gear, VS-17 panel, poncho, ect.).

TT sells an X harness but the Molle webbing and carry handle is lower so the water carrier is going to be lower. I also like how the water carrier is secured at the bottom, although I would be curious as to how much it moves around.

You can get the panels and add the mag pouches but then you have gear on top of gear which makes it thicker so it will not be as pliable (for lack of a better word), heavier, and the chance for something to fail.

The removable kydex inserts in the mag pouches are nice too. As he stated they help hold the mags in but also help the mag pouches keep their shape.

The leather piece added to the right strap is another niece addition.

Overall that rig is simple and functional with nothing extra.

I was also in from 89 to 93 and the gear we had blew. It was left over from Viet Nam. USMC03's rig will let you get down much flatter than the old 3 mag/2 grenade holder pouches we had.

I am glad to see that they have updated the gear. The majority of the stuff we were issued had more in common with gear from WW2 than today's gear.

It depends on the plate. Some are one hit, some multi hit. Once they have been hit, or seriously dropped/ damaged there are no longer mission capable.

Back
Top Bottom