• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SHTF Vehicle of Choice?

I never updated my post in this thread. Other than a bobbed deuce and a half is the Rokon that will be carried on the deuce. A few years back Rokon came out with a 2x2 street legal version. Not that you want SHTF vehicles registered with the 'system' but it is a nice addition. Not inexpensive.

Ranger

8,500 bucks for a garage built mini bike?

I’ll pass.

8,500 bucks for a garage built mini bike?

I’ll pass.

Almost. I can't build the 2x2 bike that you can get parts for later, if you need them . The bike is a unicorn. I saw my first one on the side of a mountain in WA being used by park rangers. Absolute beast of a bike.

What's the deal with the tent up above the truck bed? Looks like a lot of hassle fitting that thing to a truck, when you could just tent anywhere, and make better use of space.

It bolts up there permanently. We can go from fully packed to rolling in 10 minutes if we hustle. The tent folds right up. Im impressed at how easy it is to do.

In New England, if SHTF, you're on a dirt bike or on foot.

If two rain drops rub together on the way down, the commute is a disaster and there are only a couple million commuters. 15 MILLION people live in this corner of the country and ALL of them will be trying to get SOMEWHERE.

I think somebody said they have an ultralight. That actually might work well if the destination is in range of the fuel tank.

Gas up the yacht !
Sailboat.
The absolute ultimimate SHTF vehicle AND redoubt. It's your vehicle and cabin. You only need fuel to cook the food you pull out of the ocean. Sushi anyone? Solar for lights and communications. I wonder how you desalinate seawater on a small scale[thinking].

You'll have to defend it, but there's plenty of room for tens of thousands rounds of ammo. My approach would to be a porcupine. Me and the boat would be too unimportant and small to be worth the rain of bullets that appears anytime someone uninvited gets within 2 miles.
Hmmm, a good drone would be a good observation and patrol platform. I think I would want good radar too.

Sail south in the winter or away from whatever latitude the radiation fallout is fallingin. Find an isolated inlet to anchor in occasionally.

Come to think of it, my father in law has a 36' sailboat in Marblehead, but he lives 2.5hrs inland. If the SHTF and he cant get to the boat in time, me and my Sailing For Dummies book will sure miss him. [rofl]

Folks are doing it all sorts of wrong, especially those in/near Boston.

NES rally point should be Georges Island(Fort Warren). Fortifications already in place, large enough field within the walls for a garden/livestock, 360° clear fields of fire, demo docks to prevent larger vessels from landing. Send landing parties to other nearby islands for fuel(firewood) as well as setting up FOBs for advanced warning.

Yes, I did just pull that out of my butt. [laugh]

paint-horse-running-in-field.jpg

NES rally point should be Georges Island(Fort Warren). Fortifications already in place, large enough field within the walls for a garden/livestock, 360° clear fields of fire, demo docks to prevent larger vessels from landing. Send landing parties to other nearby islands for fuel(firewood) as well as setting up FOBs for advanced warning.

Not to mention that zombies can't swim. Landing parties would be dangerous missions tho.

Yeah, but it stops you from using it as a truck!

It's not really a truck anymore, more of a camping/adventure vehicle. It's a cool idea if you are hardcore into camping and can afford a dedicated vehicle, because all of your gear is always loaded and ready to head out on a moments notice.

It's already been lost to the zombies.

Google Maps

upload_2019-8-23_11-41-4.png

Anybody thinking of an E-bike? I am considering a kit that i can install and run off of high capacity Ego lithium batteries. the bike would be thrown on the truck as a last ditch vehicle if traffic or a breakdown stops me. they are quiet and can have a range of 100 miles if you carry a few spare batteries. my winter project is to build an E wheelbarrow using the same kit and batteries.

It's already been lost to the zombies.

Google Maps

View attachment 299126

I remember going here is a kid in the 70s. We would climb all over the entire island. Every edifice, every secret passage, every tunnel we could find. It was a free-for-all. Yeah I would imagine that kids could’ve easily gotten hurt or even killed back then but it was a great time. Somehow I don’t think it’s like that now.

The most likely scenario IMO would be a solar flare or EMP type event which would render all/most electronics inoperable. With that in mind I’ve been looking to get an old International Scout or something of the like. My truck would be useless in this type scenario.

If we are talking civil unrest my Tacoma and my Dad’s Tacoma (we live within 5 minutes of each other) will get my family to the in-laws in Vermont. Plenty of fuel and smaller vehicles to get us around at camp.

I’ve been meaning to grab some cheap bikes to throw in the back of the truck in event that we ever need to bug out.

The most likely scenario IMO would be a solar flare or EMP type event which would render all/most electronics inoperable. With that in mind I’ve been looking to get an old International Scout or something of the like. My truck would be useless in this type scenario.

If we are talking civil unrest my Tacoma and my Dad’s Tacoma (we live within 5 minutes of each other) will get my family to the in-laws in Vermont. Plenty of fuel and smaller vehicles to get us around at camp.

I’ve been meaning to grab some cheap bikes to throw in the back of the truck in event that we ever need to bug out.

You think some kind of EMP fantasy is more likely then civil unrest?

You think some kind of EMP fantasy is more likely then civil unrest?

I think the solar flare possibility is more likely than anything else that would cause me to have to leave my home.

That being said it seems more likely every day that there is going to be some sort of fracturing of the country and I know I live on the wrong side of where the lines will be drawn.

Mercedes G wagon.

Had a 1984 300 Turbo D, was a very good car, ran on everything including waste oil. Biggest issues where the wiring and the Alt, was really wonky how the Germans wired that car. For a DD it was fun car, and sipped fuel, just got to the point of fixing the wiring, replacing the Alt twice and two Batt it was time to sell it.
If I had the time I would of gutted the hole car and rewired myself, but I moved onto another project a 78 F-250 with a cumming 4bt. Outside the trigger for a starter it will run and shut down with no electronics and should ( key word should ) be 100% EMP or solar flare proof.

20 years ago when they were laying a new gas line from Gloucester down to Hingham? It would necessitate cutting the water line from the mainland to the park ranger station on the island. Luckily during the civil war a well was dug on the island and I designed a pump and filtration system to supply water to keep the toilets flushing and heat on. The water was fine for drinking but had not been tested enough to be certified for public consumption. So check that box as well

lets be serious, if the world actually went to crap ( a real shtf), your vehicle is likely to be a single use point A to point B escape pod. Offroading and all that crap is rather silly, you are either going to use established roadways, waterways, airways or you are not likely to get very far. I will make an exception for those using a dirt bike or similar. All that said, I think its important that your vehicle be well maintained with the ability to carry extra fuel, tires and supplies. Generally speaking, that mean that you get a truck or wagon and forget about it. Pulling a trailer full of crap is simply a target which stands out like a beacon.

Forget all this mad max/ road warrior crap and get sensible. My daily driver is a all wheel drive audi, it will have to be good enough. I keep 72 hours of emergency supplies and some basic tools in the trunk 24/7.

If it got really really bad, I could rig a 5 gallon Jerry can to the Honda Ruckus that I use around the farm and get about 600 miles out of it.

Last edited:
My 200cc Vespa goes nearly 80 mph and gets better than 60 mpg. Not very good in the dirt. Maybe having a bunch of those Chinese bicycle engine kits would be the way to go post apocalypse. You get crazy mileage, back up pedaling, no electrics and it will get you across town to trade ammo for eggs.

Back
Top Bottom