• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SHTF Vehicle of Choice?

When I get a garage, I would like to swap a 12v Cummins into a Ford Excursion. Then swap everything electronic/automatic with manual/mechanical. I figure that would make an awesome expedition/BOVBOBGOODEOTWlol truck, plenty of room and power to bring what matters where you want to go.

White Mazda 2wd truck. Works in Afghanistan. Lol

Its the last thing I see in those COD style smart bomb videos

Subaru Forester

**** yeah
forester1228150044.jpg

Last edited:
for bug out i would want a 4x4 ATV for each person in my group, each rigged with necessities, towing a trailer full of supplies that person needs and spare fuel. i would travel as light as possible and at night with NVG's.

as for a [STRIKE=SHTF]SHTF[/STRIKE] every day daily driver?

topright.jpg

Well, if we're going there, why not just go all the way:

attachment.php

Attachments

• ARK_01.jpg
    ARK_01.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 558
Last edited:
Something diesel for sure...we live in New England, probably more than half the houses you drive by have 250+ gallons of diesel sitting in a tank behind their house.

Not saying you should steal anyones fuel, but 95% of people are driving gasoline cars and can't burn home heating oil...I say diesels will have more available fuel lying around than gasoline. Plus diesel stores better/longer, and the engines are typically much more robust.

I agree with the diesel.....for getting the hell away to a bug out location, my VW Passat TDI can get 800 miles on a 18.5 gallon tank.

I'll take my Frontier (lifted of course). but I'd go with the Titan if I wanted to be a better SHTF vehicle. You want more than 8" of clearance (before cargo) for sure, and a huge gas tank. Also the 4dr Wrangler would be a good choice.

I'll go with what I've got and be rocking in my '98 Ram quad cab 4x4, with cap and kayaks!

aka the Blue Bomber:

bluebombercamping.JPG

It's a 5.9L gasser, so it only gets about 13mpg [sad2] but runs awesome and has a ton of power. Can pack a ton of stuff under the cap.

I've replaced most of the front end steering components and suspension, put in new brake lines all around, slowly been welding in new metal where rust has set in. Did all the work myself in the driveway, never did any automotive work previously.

Still needs some work for a sticker, but if SHTF, don't ask me for a sticker. ;)

Will trade for guns! ;)

What kind of SHTF? EMP hits, and most of the newer cars/trucks are dead.

This has been debunked to an extent by the US EMP Commission report. It isn't a perfect test regime, but it does show that many vehicles are resistant to at least moderate EMP levels. The real destruction occurs to electronics that are connected to the grid, where the pulse can travel along the lines and cook everything.

To your point, if an EMP is what some people say, then have bicycles on standby and plan to bug in, because vehicles would be useless.

My choice of vehicle is my F150 Zombie Edition.

Back
Top Bottom