SHTF Vehicle of Choice?

Not to mention that zombies can't swim. Landing parties would be dangerous missions tho.

I would think a zombie's lungs would fill with air quickly and they could just walk along the bottom. Then again maybe the decomposing flesh would make them bob like a buoy.

lets be serious, if the world actually went to crap ( a real shtf), your vehicle is likely to be a single use point A to point B escape pod. Offroading and all that crap is rather silly, you are either going to use established roadways, waterways, airways or you are not likely to get very far. I will make an exception for those using a dirt bike or similar. All that said, I think its important that your vehicle be well maintained with the ability to carry extra fuel, tires and supplies. Generally speaking, that mean that you get a truck or wagon and forget about it. Pulling a trailer full of crap is simply a target which stands out like a beacon.

It's hard to think of events that would be so sudden you'd have to leave your home in a vehicle. One is a tsunami, caused by a massive earthquake and landslide across the ocean. You have 6 hrs or less to get away from coast areas that'll be 100 feet underwater. In that case you won't have to go that far but you'll need to carry anything in your house you want to keep, and you'll be fighting the mother of all traffic jams, so offroading might be key.

There's also the meteor/Chinese nuclear satellite scenario, but that's likely either not going to hit your area, or it'll be so big that driving away won't help.

IMO, most other bug out scenarios are ones where you'll get considerable warning - civil unrest/mob of Biden voters moving north, nasty virus etc. In those cases you'll have plenty of time to pack and won't face crazy traffic.

It's hard to think of events that would be so sudden you'd have to leave your home in a vehicle. One is a tsunami, caused by a massive earthquake and landslide across the ocean. You have 6 hrs or less to get away from coast areas that'll be 100 feet underwater. In that case you won't have to go that far but you'll need to carry anything in your house you want to keep, and you'll be fighting the mother of all traffic jams, so offroading might be key.

There's also the meteor/Chinese nuclear satellite scenario, but that's likely either not going to hit your area, or it'll be so big that driving away won't help.

IMO, most other bug out scenarios are ones where you'll get considerable warning - civil unrest/mob of Biden voters moving north, nasty virus etc. In those cases you'll have plenty of time to pack and won't face crazy traffic.

I'm glad you mentioned that traffic jam, because I think a lot of folks probably don't think about that stuff.

If you're on low ground and there's a tsunami warning, you're unlikely to have time to evacuate. But if it's something you've got six hours for, like an oncoming hurricane with an epically high tide due at the same time a nor-easter appears? You're better off on your feet. The evacuation routes will be clogged, and the staties will be keeping people off the back roads.

Bicycles are not a good bug-out choice for an insurrection, but they'll get you inland faster than a car will. Especially if you live someplace as congested as the North Shore.

I'm glad you mentioned that traffic jam, because I think a lot of folks probably don't think about that stuff.

If you're on low ground and there's a tsunami warning, you're unlikely to have time to evacuate. But if it's something you've got six hours for, like an oncoming hurricane with an epically high tide due at the same time a nor-easter appears? You're better off on your feet. The evacuation routes will be clogged, and the staties will be keeping people off the back roads.

Bicycles are not a good bug-out choice for an insurrection, but they'll get you inland faster than a car will. Especially if you live someplace as congested as the North Shore.

Yeah, the reason I think you'd have 6 hrs tsunami warning is the only likely source of such for East Coasters would be Africa, and a landslide-created tsunami would take like 12 hrs to reach us. I think it's way more an issue for the Pacific Northwest - in fact I wouldn't live in Western Oregon just for that reason, that region had a mega tsunami before, and is way overdue for another. They might get some warning in terms of earthquake tremors but I doubt people will evacuate cause of that.

I think it’s been said before, but this-
B6B9B1F6-11C4-4F49-A07B-D7CE0217AF5C.jpeg
Is the way I’d go.
HD railway capable 4x4 truck. Avoid the roads and be able to get on and off the tracks at will.

Yeah, the reason I think you'd have 6 hrs tsunami warning is the only likely source of such for East Coasters would be Africa, and a landslide-created tsunami would take like 12 hrs to reach us. I think it's way more an issue for the Pacific Northwest - in fact I wouldn't live in Western Oregon just for that reason, that region had a mega tsunami before, and is way overdue for another. They might get some warning in terms of earthquake tremors but I doubt people will evacuate cause of that.

It'd be a freak event up here, regardless. It's hard for me to think of a way a legit Indonesia-style tsunami would ever reach us. Well, the Cape maybe...

Sorry, Harwich. But then, Capesters know they're screwed in any kind of evacuation. They should know that before they go there. It's all I think about whenever I cross that canal: I'm imprisoning myself if anything goes even slightly wrong. The price you pay for a decent beach, I guess.

I also tend to park backed-in towards the house. Which means it's going to be easier/faster to load up IF I ever need to.

I would stop doing that depending on your parking situation Primary reason? Need to protect the engine side of the vehicle.

NPR delivery truck destroyed a buddies brand new F350. Plow truck took out a grad students Forester.

Adding a 1996-1998 chevy 5.3L v8. Either c1500 or K1500.

With pretty minor prep, they can tow or bash. Ls powerplant is plentiful and easy to beef up. ECU replacements from Summit Racing including harnesses can be just stored in a box.

For a gas-sipping car (scout vehicle) hard to beat honda civics, or early 2000's toyota camry /carola's. Nissan Sentra are also a strong option. Blend in, sacrificial, tough to kill, easy to repair.

I would avoid anything newer than 2012. Most of the engine and tcm systems went full retard after that age.

The quality of awesome aftermarket parts is getting to the point where grabbing something old and ripping out everything while replacing with brand new electronics, brakes, fresh transmission parts and fuel systems is actually affordable.

A reliable and refreshed vehicle which looks a decade and a half old will be less of a target vs a minty fresh looking bro-dozer.

White Mazda 2wd truck. Works in Afghanistan. Lol

Its the last thing I see in those COD style smart bomb videos

22r (non-E) is easier to fix, repair or replace. Better MPGs too. If you can find a 1983 -1984 long bed one ton, it's pretty trivial to swap in some serious axle.

The mazda pickups tended to overheat when pushed in Florida, flimsy parts around the springs and brakes.

It'd be a freak event up here, regardless. It's hard for me to think of a way a legit Indonesia-style tsunami would ever reach us. Well, the Cape maybe...

Sorry, Harwich. But then, Capesters know they're screwed in any kind of evacuation. They should know that before they go there. It's all I think about whenever I cross that canal: I'm imprisoning myself if anything goes even slightly wrong. The price you pay for a decent beach, I guess.

Yeah La Palma in the Canary Islands produced a mega tsunami like 200,000 years ago. So a long shot for sure!

No electrics, will burn just about any gas, and if you have bazookas you can take out German tanks. Farm field landing approved. Highway congestion, road blocks, travel restrictions, can all suck it.
Edit to add bazooka reference: Bazooka Charlie and the Grasshopper: A Tale of World War II
proxy-image

My 200cc Vespa goes nearly 80 mph and gets better than 60 mpg. Not very good in the dirt. Maybe having a bunch of those Chinese bicycle engine kits would be the way to go post apocalypse. You get crazy mileage, back up pedaling, no electrics and it will get you across town to trade ammo for eggs.

One well known NES'er had a pink Vespa for a while. Claimed it was camouflage.

Cosmetics aside, yes, something like that, once things have "settled down", would be ideal. If there's such a thing as a multi fuel Vespa or even a diesel, even better. Home heating oil is the same stuff just with a dye in it. One tank of oil would probably last your whole life.

22r (non-E) is easier to fix, repair or replace. Better MPGs too. If you can find a 1983 -1984 long bed one ton, it's pretty trivial to swap in some serious axle.

The mazda pickups tended to overheat when pushed in Florida, flimsy parts around the springs and brakes.
Well... it was a joke 7 years ago, but good to know!

I'm looking forward to putting some IR lights on my Tacoma so I can drive blacked out like @AllaSnackbah

View attachment 430447
Is the way I’d go.
HD railway capable 4x4 truck. Avoid the roads and be able to get on and off the tracks at will.

My SUV has nearly the same track as the distance between the rails. It would probably help to somewhat deflate the tires so they cradle the rails a bit better, but you can drive (slowly) on rails. If you have the skills to install a snow plow, adding guides to the front and rear to center the vehicle should be cakewalk and you don't have to sacrifice the tires. (meaning you wouldn't have to deflate them if steel guides are keeping them centered on the tracks)

Last edited:
It's hard to think of events that would be so sudden you'd have to leave your home in a vehicle.

Why does it have to be sudden? You either need to leave or you dont, it has nothing to do with how fast the danger develops. I am not really a SHTF person but I can play along for the purpose of fruitful discussion. All this talk about what type of vehicle is rather silly.. its just not that deep. We do not live on the tundra or salt flats.. most of us live in cities or other urban confines. Traffic jam or not, there isnt likely to be any of road travel from one city, state or region to another. A person needs a car which is reliable and preferably one that can carry multiple people and supplies. You will either get to where you are going via established roadways or you wont. The only other realistic alternative is to travel on foot or motor driven cycle. Obviously you do have a little more latitude when you are on foot or bike.

What I am saying is that its probably not going to matter all that much if you are driving a honda civic or a ford350 dually. Its probably not worth worrying about. The question really boils down to whether you have a reliable vehicle or not. If you do, just check that box and move along to your next benchmark.

People tend to overintellectualize this issue far more than is practical. Its really rather simple and survival imperatives dont really change all that much within the same region. If were are talking about the difference between florida and maine... sure there are issues but the difference between florida, ga, ms, al or TN are not all that different. If you plan within your particular region, you will have a fairly practical system. It wont be perfect, so dont try to make it perfect.

My car is in good reliable condition and its full of gas... CHECK

whats next?

I think people would be better served to focus on things such as hydration and not worry so much about what type and style of vehicle is going to look the coolest or make them feel all warm and fuzzy. If the SHTF I will probably be motoring down the sidewalk on my honda ruckus looking like jim carey in dumb and dummer. I will wear a OD bump helmet just so I can look tactical. At least I know I can get 100 miles to the gallon and not make much noise.

Really though, .. if your car works well. Just check the box and move on.

Last edited:
Why does it have to be sudden? You either need to leave or you dont, it has nothing to do with how fast the danger develops. I am not really a SHTF person but I can play along for the purpose of fruitful discussion. All this talk about what type of vehicle is rather silly.. its just not that deep. We do not live on the tundra or salt flats.. most of us live in cities or other urban confines. Traffic jam or not, there isnt likely to be any of road travel from one city, state or region to another. A person needs a car which is reliable and preferably one that can carry multiple people and supplies. You will either get to where you are going via established roadways or you wont. The only other realistic alternative is to travel on foot or motor driven cycle.

What I am saying is that its probably not going to matter all that much if you are driving a honda civic or a ford350 dually. Its probably not worth worrying about. The question really boils down to whether you have a reliable vehicle or not. If you do, just check that box and move along to your next benchmark.

People tend to overintellectualize this issue far more than is practical. Its really rather simple and survival imperatives dont really change all that much within the same region. If were are talking about the difference between florida and maine... sure there are issues but the difference between florida, ga, ms, al or TN are not all that different. If you plan within your particular region, you will have a fairly practical system. It wont be perfect, so dont try to make it perfect.

The warning time means the difference between quickly throwing your stuff in whatever vehicle you have, or you buy a house up north and hire movers.

The warning time means the difference between quickly throwing your stuff in whatever vehicle you have, or you buy a house up north and hire movers.
Brother.. this thread is about a SHTF vehicle choice. I think the context goes without saying. I do not think that circumstances that would allow for the contracting of movers and purchasing of a home up north, would qualify as a SHTF event.

SHTF simply means that the fabric of society no longer exists to a safe degree, rule of law is fractured, services are no longer available, danger is perceived to be afoot and movement might be necessary and any moment. So what vehicle would you want in that?

I say, it doesnt much matter so long as its reliable and has fuel.

honda civic? check

Chevy duramax diesel ? Check

Family Truckster? Check

Datsun 510 sedan? Check

This is a rather less than complex issue to address. Check the box and move on.

Survival can hinge on how many boxes you can manage to reasonably check.. not so much the overintellectualizing of a singular box.

LOL... you got me. Perfect gif ;)

I was simply highlighting that fact that its NOT a off road vehicle. Its a old man sedan and it will have to suffice.

The quality of awesome aftermarket parts is getting to the point where grabbing something old and ripping out everything while replacing with brand new electronics, brakes, fresh transmission parts and fuel systems is actually affordable.
2008 Highlander. Brake job is $400. That is not chump change. I can't imagine "ripping out everything while replacing with brand new electronics, brakes, fresh transmission parts and fuel systems is actually affordable".

View attachment 430447
Is the way I’d go.

Watched a movie over 30 years ago, SHTF thing, guy goes into a Chevy. dealer grabs a Blazer, goes to the RR tracks and airs down the tires so it would stay of the rails and drives away.

Watched a movie over 30 years ago, SHTF thing, guy goes into a Chevy. dealer grabs a Blazer, goes to the RR tracks and airs down the tires so it would stay of the rails and drives away.

I read the same in Lucifer's Hammer and tested the theory. It works, but would probably work better with a guide welded on.

I'm sure it's been said a million times but kind of hard to beat an M35A2 with the multi fuel engine. My F250 will suffice just fine though. Important thing isn't what vehicle it's knowing how to make a gas pump or diesel pump work when you need to find fuel.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom