SHTF Vehicle of Choice?

2008 Highlander. Brake job is $400. That is not chump change. I can't imagine "ripping out everything while replacing with brand new electronics, brakes, fresh transmission parts and fuel systems is actually affordable".

$50k for something which is disposable and unfixible without a $10k computer system and software subscription is also exactly how actually affordable?

Watched a movie over 30 years ago, SHTF thing, guy goes into a Chevy. dealer grabs a Blazer, goes to the RR tracks and airs down the tires so it would stay of the rails and drives away.
I read the same in Lucifer's Hammer and tested the theory. It works, but would probably work better with a guide welded on.
I’ve thought about that. Even mapped out evacuation routes over railway in the event of a mass evacuation. Unfortunately, in eastern MA, a lot of rail lines terminate in heavily populated towns/cities. And then you have to hop off and navigate dense roadways to get back on a new line.

I think a lot of people are stuck in the mindset that the best SHTF vehicle is going to be a big, powerful 4x4. That may serve you well for your next camping trip, but it's not going to do you much good when you're getting less than 20 mpg and the gas stations are empty with long lines.

My next car is going to be my SHTF vehicle, something with great fuel economy and long range. A Ford C Max plug in is at the top of the list.
2021 gm 1500 with the 3.0 duramax 30 mpg highway

Love my Tesla, but even I'll admit its not THAT practical.

I've always eyed a big Toyota/Lexus SUV. A land cruiser would be a top choice, but a gx460 is also a solid.

I’ve thought about that. Even mapped out evacuation routes over railway in the event of a mass evacuation. Unfortunately, in eastern MA, a lot of rail lines terminate in heavily populated towns/cities. And then you have to hop off and navigate dense roadways to get back on a new line.

Good point, but you can get on or off the rail wherever it crosses a road at ground level. Should be ample opportunity in between but those places at minimum.

I'm thinking about doing off-grid solar and a small electric car. I don't need to bug-out anywhere, but having local transportation without the need of potentially high price or unavailable fuels would be a huge advantage.

I'm thinking about doing off-grid solar and a small electric car. I don't need to bug-out anywhere, but having local transportation without the need of potentially high price or unavailable fuels would be a huge advantage.
Keep in mind they're more complex and sometimes require very specialized tools for repairs. Keep an old vw bug in the backyard, too...

Electric cars are completely impractical, as are any vehicle made after about 2005. If this SHTF scenario involves a hostile government, I don't want my vehicle being hacked or remotely controlled. Simple, reliable, and NO central computer that connects the drive systems to the outside world.

Back
Top Bottom