SHTF TRANSPORTATION

77 GS550 (Kinda)

It was built with a pile of parts from a Fatboy, 550, 450, 550E, and some other crafty bits.

It is a real head turner that's for sure. Barley legal. Actually... NOT legal. Needs fenders and a mirror. Shrug.. I only drive it when I'm in uniform.

I have given some thought to a Charles 803 alcohol still and a four stoke on/off style dirt bike. A two stroke won’t run on straight alcohol. I have acquired the still plans and have started to collect some of the hard to find parts. This is of course an extreme EOTWAWKI plan, so its kind of far down on my list or priorities.

I have an old spare Briggs powered genny that I plan to try and convert to alcohol before I tackle the bike.

Where are you going to get the raw materials to make alcohol? Corn, sugar etc? Would you be better off eating the stuff rather than putting it in a fuel tank?

Where are you going to get the raw materials to make alcohol? Corn, sugar etc? Would you be better off eating the stuff rather than putting it in a fuel tank?

Not to mention the fuel burned to cook the mash. Fuel better saved to heat and cook with.....[thinking]

I planned on using corn. The corn from the mash can be fed to my dairy cows after it has been used. The fuel to heat the mash is coming from a zone on my wood boiler. I have no shortage of wood or the land needed to grow corn. I have corn seed by the ton. Again this is a worst case scenario plan and the alcohol would be used very sparingly or on an emergency basis. My plans may not be practical for all but are tailored to my specific resources. Not everyone lives on a working farm.

Not so much SHTF as a daily but, in a pinch..

MKII_TD_Carat_1_sm.jpg

I built that out of one $500 and one Free car just before I moved up here. It is a turbo diesel.

Ok, so not much for off road although it does OK on bad dirt roads and gravel but, has other pluses....

~600 mile range on 12 gallons of fuel.

MultiFuel, Along with diesel I have dumped all manner of and combinations of BioDiesel, used cooking oil, used and new motor oil, transmission fluid, lamp oil, kerosene, even a % of unleaded with used cooking oil or used crankcase oil , cutting oil (used, and filtered really well.), etc.

Whole car can be disassembled with nothing more than a basic set of hand tools for the most part. (I have done it, twice. [smile])

Parts are easy to come by, platform didn't change much over 25 years, lots of interchangeability.

EMP Proof? [wink] Mechanical Injection, Analog everything, requires 1 12V wire to keep the engine going, in a pinch loosing the fuel cut off solenoid cancel that out. Although, an EMP would knock out the digital clock in the dash [shocked]

In the northeast, where the majority of homes are heated with oil, a diesel would seem to be the best BOV. You can pull up to any unoccupied home and suck out enough fuel to run for days.

With that said. I'm not too bad off. Because of all my internal combustion engines, I've always got 20 or so gal of gas around the house. Boats, mowers, etc. We have a simple 4wd Volvo wagon. Decent fuel economy, lots of room, and tough as nails.

I've also got a 2000 lb capacity trailer. While a trailer isn't as good as storing your stuff internally, its not a bad place to put stuff that people wouldn't want to pilfer.

While the wagon with a trailer isn't the best thing, its not bad at all.

Don

In the northeast, where the majority of homes are heated with oil, a diesel would seem to be the best BOV. You can pull up to any unoccupied home and suck out enough fuel to run for days.

That's just impossible. You know perfectly well that heating oil can't be used in a diesel vehicle because the road tax hasn't been paid on the fuel! It would be illegal!

[laugh][laugh2][thinking][rofl]

i have a 1990 jeep cherokee,,, super swamper tsl's onbooard air,, locked in the rear,, itll go anywhere,, fire extinguishers, first aid kit,,,, potable water bottles,, tools. ill be able to gtfo,, its damn ugly and by the same token its damn intimidating lol.

If the EMP (electromagnetic pulse) gets your vehicle, there's NO DRIVING that......

The electronics that make a modern vehicle work are not shielded against EMP.

Scratch all the gas/diesel/bio vehicles off the list.

If the EMP (electromagnetic pulse) gets your vehicle, there's NO DRIVING that......

The electronics that make a modern vehicle work are not shielded against EMP.

Scratch all the gas/diesel/bio vehicles off the list.

This an often overstated fear.

Check http://www.empcommission.org/ for tests conducted on late model vehicles and trucks. Seems that it caused minor issues with the vehicles and the ones that shut off were able to be restarted except one truck that needed to go to the mechanic. It did not effect vehicles that were not running. Where EMP is likely to cause damage is the power grid. No power no gas and once people run out of gas roads become parking lots.

Korea isn't going to be capable of launching more than a handful of missiles. Russia isn't interested anymore. A lot of their former arsenal is still kicking around but for the most part those in control have just a few or could care less about us. China might be interested some day, but A) they own most of the country by now and B) their main interest ought be elbow room and poisoning the land isn't going to help that.

So you can all relax on EMP. I have spoken.

To kill the world by other than by brute force, I would think the agent would have to be biological. One lab with some smart but radical people could do that. Anyone releasing such a bug would have to know there is a chance they are comitting suicide even if they have a "plan". Stuff mutates. That takes insanity or religion. We have more than enough of both in the world to worry about that one.

upon further though,,, perhaps gtfo may not always be the best strategy,,, if everyone gtfo,, wouldnt we just all be as fcced as before but in a strange setting? better i think to hold and defend,a 4x4 would be used for raiding or patrol,,, need superior off road capability, bulletproof engine and drivetrain and be cheap and simple to fix,,, spare parts should be abundant,,,,,,,perhaps a modifyed jeep cherokee,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, lol if im close enough to a nuke blast to get emp'ed ill use my new angel wings to gtfo :)

lol i killed another thread,,,, would anyone like to disagree? i kill threads

Geez,I asked you a question in post #102 yet you decided to ignore the author of this thread & snub me(a fellow Gloucester resident)

so if I see ya on the street you are dedmeat [laugh]

I don't have what I would consider good SHTF transportation, but the traits to look for are:

Mobility
Durability
Fuel Availability
Ease of Maintance
Capacity

Older model 4x4s and jeeps are great choices, especially ones with mounted, weather tight stage space so they can be pre-loaded with expected equipment.

A vehicle with reinforced / guarded front and back (Grill Guards / Bumper Guards) and possibly additional material around the doors and engine compartment to improve survivability are also useful, though that also tends to detract from their mobility.

Another place to look, if you have the means, is retired armored cars and swat vehicles. I know someone who has the later in his garage. It's well outfitted for a 4 man camping trip for upto about 2 weeks.

glostamon i appologize,please accept,, i am not a massmudder, it seems that i cannot join the club as i dont know anyone. from what i have gathered,,, the original massmudders were a group of patriotic off road enthusiates,, community minded and responsible,,,, but over the last few years taken over by lax membership rules and a general inactivity,,, they have lost their club. now any dickweed can get a trail sticker and abuse the trails and rights of others. there is no longer any sense of comradery or for that matter right from wrong. those with trail stickers have defaced private property, and generally made a nuicense of themselfs,,, therefore dragging the massmudder name through the mud.i am simply a survivalist nutbagg, with a jeep,,, mre's to last a month,, a gun and water purification tabs, and a deep seated need to not be a victom.if i meet you on the street ,,,,,,,,,, i will shake youre hand sir.

sorry,,, benn enjoying some nice wine,,, cant spell

Last edited:
glostamon i appologize,please accept,, i am not a massmudder, it seems that i cannot join the club as i dont know anyone. from what i have gathered,,, the original massmudders were a group of patriotic off road enthusiates,, community minded and responsible,,,, but over the last few years taken over by lax membership rules and a general inactivity,,, they have lost their club. now any dickweed can get a trail sticker and abuse the trails and rights of others. there is no longer any sense of comradery or for that matter right from wrong. those with trail stickers have defaced private property, and generally made a nuicense of themselfs,,, therefore dragging the massmudder name through the mud.i am simply a survivalist nutbagg, with a jeep,,, mre's to last a month,, a gun and water purification tabs, and a deep seated need to not be a victom.if i meet you on the street ,,,,,,,,,, i will shake youre hand sir.sorry,,, benn enjoying some nice wine,,, cant spell

I was J/K![laugh] That was my smart-ass attempt @ humor to self procaimed "Thread-Killers"
Welcome aboard.[smile]

But, I didnt know that the "MassMudders" have gone "Down Hill"
I have gone to the pig roast acouple of times many years ago,& found it an "All -American" jeep jamboree,w/ cool rigs & people.
Oh well the "new" guys effed it up(damn 20 somethins').

Keep preppin'...Go Fishermen!,-Glostamon

This is my every day driver 2009 Rubicon 4 door.
3 inch lift 35" tires rock bars nav.w/topo maps, 9500 lbs. winch and not worried about roads.
It will go just about any place on land.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Jeep 1.jpg
    Jeep 1.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 490
Bright colors like in the animal kingdom "like the poison tree frogs" bright colors mean stay away I might be dangerous. Yes Paper maps if the satellites go out and enough armament and ammunition for the color as proof to be sufficient warning.
I had to order and wait two months for that color. “Jeep Detonator Yellow”

Back
Top Bottom