• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SHTF TRANSPORTATION

I have thought a lot about this. If this were a real SHTF scenario I would head out to sea. Unless you have a prepared place ready to go and IF you can get to it your fine. One problem during the trip and you are SOL. If you have a sailboat (must be over 40’ for intercontental travel) and the skills, you can go anywhere on the planet. No gas, electrical can be solar. Get a boat and a Class 3 license and something that fires in the .50 range (that could be mounted in a hurry) and you’re all set. Of course a Class 3 won’t count anywhere else so find a good place to hide it.

I know quite a few people who live on boats now. It’s not easy. Lack of sleep, crappy food and the ocean trying to kill you but people have spent months/years at sea fully provisioned. You could sail out in the middle of the night while the city is burning and come back 6 months (or years) later to see what is left.

Now unfortunately for me my wife doesn’t buy any of this so I’ll be heading to my parents place in Maine in my 99 Explorer.

Here is a nice example of something in the 40'-50' range.
49modelhead.jpg

I'll be headed to Maine also. We could car pool. I have a nice assortment of cranes, forklifts, and tractor trailers to choose from.

Just food for thought.

Yesterday afternoon around 5pm I drove to Worcester from Natick via rt 9.

The weather was ok. No mass terror, explosions, looting, rape, blizzard, hurricane, zombies, flooding, rape, etc.

The traffic was horrendous. It was like driving in quicksand, which as we all know, is not very conducive to a quick pace.

I can only image what it might be like if EVERYONE were trying to get out of town.

If you are planning to bugout from Metrowest, plan on a dirtbike or a helicopter.

I have given some thought to a Charles 803 alcohol still and a four stoke on/off style dirt bike. A two stroke won’t run on straight alcohol. I have acquired the still plans and have started to collect some of the hard to find parts. This is of course an extreme EOTWAWKI plan, so its kind of far down on my list or priorities.

I have an old spare Briggs powered genny that I plan to try and convert to alcohol before I tackle the bike.

I have thought a lot about this. If this were a real SHTF scenario I would head out to sea. Unless you have a prepared place ready to go and IF you can get to it your fine. One problem during the trip and you are SOL. If you have a sailboat (must be over 40’ for intercontental travel) ...

My wife's cousins had a family of 5 tour the world for a few years in smaller than 40. I want to say 28' or 31'. That's with two adults and three kids.

Pacific Seacraft used to make the Flicka. Plenty can be found on the secondary market.

picpacificseacraft23100b.jpg

Only 24' overall length and draft of 3' 3". Displacement is 5500 lbs with 1800 lbs of ballast. full keel. Sail area is only 250 square feet. Headroom in the cabin is 5' 11".

The boat was designed around the Block Island Sound style Newport boats of the early 1900's - small strong and easy to handle. The boat can go just about anywhere in relative comfort and still be trailered and stored in the average garage.

Best of all, everything on the boat can be easily handled by a solo sailor. Mast is designed to be easily stepped and lowered by one person for bridges and canals.

Two burner alcohol stove, sink, icebox, manual head, and even an inboard small diesel are all standard. High lifelines and pulpit offer safe access to the entire boat. Hatches are all water tight. (some of these features are not in the early models)

The boats were built to MilSpec standards in most cases to take years of hard ocean passages. They have been all over the world and survived some of the roughest seas with minimal damage. Best of all, it is built rugged and simple for easy maintenance and repairs. Because of the low production numbers and the small size, each of the boats was basically built by hand by a single person. Few production boats can boast of such hand built quality.

Can sleep 3 adults although you have to enjoy being close. (^_^)

Only some 440 were built. Production stopped in the 80's, but the company still supports the model. Good condition late production runs are still selling for like $30k. It's my ideal sailboat and the one I've dreamed of owning some day.

Last edited:
Chrysler Imperial

60's Chrysler Imperial. the one below is from a demolition derby where these things DOMINATE! I drove a friend's at the Hopkinton Fair Demo a few years back and it had already been through something like 9 heats. the only reason i lost was i picked a fight with the wrong guy and crashed into him head on.

228807486_f976f4ef6d.jpg

get one of these with a 440 and mud tires in the back and you won't be stopped by anything but an oak tree. The absolute best imperial is the convertible because it's got a full frame. just cut the top off of another one and weld it on. take an old A/C condensor and ram metal dowels through the horizontal coolant lines then weld 1/2 chain links to the end of those for a stock appearing condensor that you can jump up and down on for a little added radiator protection.

note: the car pictured is not the one i drove.

Last edited:
Youre looking at it in my Avatar. 2002 Land Rover Discovery. If they can drive them off the showroom floor in stock form and drive them around the world, my expedition-modified one should get me to our retreat north of here. Lets just say I stay on top of PM given it a Land Rover, although the basix engine is a Buick V8 licensed design. Been lifted with carefuly chosen reliable parts since this photo, also has had front bumper replaced with full ARB bull bar bumper. One tip directly from Rawles is the custom rear bumper currently being built that will hold extra jerry cans in addition to the racks I have on the roof. I can turn it into a well laden fuel bowser in about 20 minutes of loading and still have room for wife and daughter and bug out gear.

I do have the coolest ever diesel '94 Suburban with a bad flywheel or crank but otherwise new engine that would be the ultimate EMP resistant SHTF truck, but I'm married to the Rover now. new Weld wheels, AT tires, custom 8' long roofrack, etc...that would make any true survivalist drool. Just lost interest in it when I got the Discovery before I became "aware".

You... don't... have... an avatar...

Is that the invisible Land Rover, then?

btw, LR is an AMAZING vehicle.

Ahhh, my membership expired! And I got the reminder e-mail too. Too many things coming due at once, NRA membership too...

Well, if my avatar WERE there, you'd see a heavily modified for expedition travel LR Discovery II. We call it the "Hummer Recovery Vehicle". [smile]

Outfitted with SSB, four band ham, legal semi-hardwired FRS (Radio Shack piece no longer available), recovery gear, enough lights to give Fenway a run for its money, etc.. But most importantly, well maintained and nothing goofy done to it to hurt reliability.

After reading Rawles I may have give a different route but after replacing THREE blown GM turbodeisels I gave up on that project. (Dont even ASK!) I have an early 70's SBC thats been balanced and blueprinted that I have thought about swapping in but lets face it, that ain't ever gonna happen. I'd buy an older project truck and start from scratch before trying that swap.

Gotaa go reknew the membership... Least we can do for what Derek provides us with here.

I have given some thought to a Charles 803 alcohol still and a four stoke on/off style dirt bike. A two stroke won’t run on straight alcohol. I have acquired the still plans and have started to collect some of the hard to find parts. This is of course an extreme EOTWAWKI plan, so its kind of far down on my list or priorities.

I have an old spare Briggs powered genny that I plan to try and convert to alcohol before I tackle the bike.

i googled the Charles 803 alcohol still - very interesting !

What models/brands of 4 stroke on/off road Bike would you recommend ?

My wife's cousins had a family of 5 tour the world for a few years in smaller than 40. I want to say 28' or 31'. That's with two adults and three kids.

I've heard of blue water live aboards in the 24' range. Usually they are younger and don't mind the "tightness" of the boat. If you don't mind having everyone watch you taking a dump, by all means.

Back
Top Bottom