• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SHTF TRANSPORTATION

here's mine ( for now until I sell it)

6.2L Diesel, 1986, EMP proof, 4WD..

Left_side.JPG

I have my emp proof 44 willys Mb Jeep with gun mount, and we will be picking up Mil veh number 2 soon a 75 Dodge crew cab truck. and there is always the motorhome.

I figure that with a days worth of strategically welding some steel plates onto her, she'd be pretty invincible....albeit slow. [smile]

Hey, when traffic's all clogged up on the main roads you won't have any problems simply driving over the vehicles, and pushing the larger ones out of the way. 5 mph is better than 0. [grin]

-Mike

You probally SHOULD consider a "Bugg'in Out" plan.
Although I too feel most comfortable in my own home,its not always a viable option.Enviornmental conditions and/ or natural disasters i.e.hurricanes(Katrina), tornados,sunami's,monsoons,pathegins,approching chemical clouds,may force you to get mobilized.
A bug-out location & transport there,could help in avoiding the New Orleans SuperDome or the like.
It is awesome to have dependable trained buddies,who "Got your back" aswell as a wooded lot adjacent to your property.When "Diggin' in" just keep in mind NO PLACE IS 100% DEFENDABLE Have a plan to retreat & fight another day.The "Fort Apache" scenerio.dosn't always pan out!

You do raise a good point... Hmm, looks like i should push up my plans of buying a jeep [smile]

[laugh2] Good call. It would great if there was some dune buggy sized vehicle that could be powered by something like dirt or garbage, a la back to the future style.

Anybody have any ideas about transportation vehicles that don't use fossil fuels?

The problem there is fuel/energy. Right now gas/diesel/propane/etc are the only really portable, grid-independent fuel sources. Battery/Solar isn't reliable enough and has shitty range.

As close as you could realistically get would be biodiesel. Biodiesel might be interesting because you can use sources of fuel (restaurant grease traps) while everyone else is shooting each other to get the other fuel. [laugh]

Then again, nothing against using a mountain bike, etc. I had contemplated getting one of those montague folders strictly for this purpose. You can throw it in your trunk and if there is gridlock you
can get a lot further, faster, on a bike than you can on foot.

-Mike

My BOV (Jeep TJ)

Here is my BOV. 2003 TJ. I-6. w/ 43K. Its an older pic, but you get the idea. It has on board air, Dana 44, ARB air lockers F/R, alloy usa h/d axle shafts, 4.56 gears, Rubicon Express 4.5" w/ hd adjustable control arms, 1/4" skids from front to rear, 1/4 body armor, SYE, Tom Woods HD driveshafts, Currie "one ton" tie rod&ends, line-x interior, etc..truck is pretty tough. Rear seat is removed and has ammo cans bolted to floor for storage. My family is small. Just me, my GF and Shi-tzu, so it works for me.

Hmmm. pic. didnt show. Oh well.

Last edited:
WTSHTF Prep Kit Recipe for travel. You take 1 Dodge Turbo Deisel 3/4 ton, which can run on 6 types of fuel, ( or at least mine can), 1 Yamaha 660 4x4 Grizzly, 1 Honda 350 4x4 Rancher, 20 gal of gas, 30 gal of deisel. 1 6x12 trailer. Minimum 1000 rds of 9mm, 1000 of .45 ACP, and 2000 of .223, 500 12 ga. and of course the proper tools to use them with. A couple of star shell flares, and launcher, or gun. 1 Compound bow, and 100+ arrows. 1 CB radio, a HAM radio would be better. A set of short distant radio's, (10 miles or better) As much usable food & water you can pack. 2 chain saws and other tools. 1 small generator 1-2k watts minimum. Tents, and cold sleeping gear. Heavy duty first aid kit, and survival kit with water sanitizer pills, and a ton of TP. Begin the trek to north to Canada via Vermont.

Some recomendations (food for thought?)

Here are a few things:

If you're looking for short term disaster response (IE Hurricane, Flood, etc) the vehicle isn't going to make a huge difference, though something with off-road capability is going to help A LOT!

If you're looking for long term SHTF response (break-down in federal government, domestic / civil war, etc) the vehicle you choose will make a huge difference.

1) Fuel - as pointed out earlier, fossil fuels are the way to go currently. Moving a sadan sized electric car 3 miles takes 1kW-hour of energy. Current high-end solar pannels are about 250W/m^2 if I recall, so that's 4 hours of charge on a 1m pannel for 3 miles in a sedan. Small hybrids are very fuel efficient, but lack space for survival equipment.
With current technology, desiel is likely your best bet, especially if you can get an engin modified to use dual fuel (Biodesiel and conventional desiel). Desiel is easier to distill, stores better and will likely be more plentiful (#2 home heating oil is dyed desiel fuel).
I would recommend loading up with several cans, this allows much more refueling when fuel becomes available. - Mad Max's car had 2 huge 60 gal fuel tanks in the back.
2) Space - For a main vehicle, you're going to want enough space and capacity to carry your required survival gear. Keep in mind, the more weight you transport, the more fuel you'll need. Packing lighter does help a lot.
3) Mobility - Ideally, select a vehicle that can travel as many places as possible, off-road capability is highly desirable as roads will deteriorate quickly.
4) Durability - To elements, natural and man-made. Easier to fix the better. This vehicle may be your "home" for a while and conditions will deteriorate quickly.
5) Additional Modes of transportation - A mountain bike and a dirt bike are great secondary modes of transport once the main vehicle is in a suitable location. This will aid supply gathering, scouting and improve available range.

Here are a few things:

If you're looking for short term disaster response (IE Hurricane, Flood, etc) the vehicle isn't going to make a huge difference, though something with off-road capability is going to help A LOT!

If you're looking for long term SHTF response (break-down in federal government, domestic / civil war, etc) the vehicle you choose will make a huge difference.

1) Fuel - as pointed out earlier, fossil fuels are the way to go currently. Moving a sadan sized electric car 3 miles takes 1kW-hour of energy. Current high-end solar pannels are about 250W/m^2 if I recall, so that's 4 hours of charge on a 1m pannel for 3 miles in a sedan. Small hybrids are very fuel efficient, but lack space for survival equipment.
With current technology, desiel is likely your best bet, especially if you can get an engin modified to use dual fuel (Biodesiel and conventional desiel). Desiel is easier to distill, stores better and will likely be more plentiful (#2 home heating oil is dyed desiel fuel).
I would recommend loading up with several cans, this allows much more refueling when fuel becomes available. - Mad Max's car had 2 huge 60 gal fuel tanks in the back.
2) Space - For a main vehicle, you're going to want enough space and capacity to carry your required survival gear. Keep in mind, the more weight you transport, the more fuel you'll need. Packing lighter does help a lot.
3) Mobility - Ideally, select a vehicle that can travel as many places as possible, off-road capability is highly desirable as roads will deteriorate quickly.
4) Durability - To elements, natural and man-made. Easier to fix the better. This vehicle may be your "home" for a while and conditions will deteriorate quickly.
5) Additional Modes of transportation - A mountain bike and a dirt bike are great secondary modes of transport once the main vehicle is in a suitable location. This will aid supply gathering, scouting and improve available range.

Yeah, seriously, what he said. I usually think about the total breakdown of society type of SHTF scenario, in which case, I would agree 100% with the post I quoted. If it is a zombie thing though, you're really going to want to hide and have speed, so a mountain bike would be a must.

OR, you could always go with one of these:
IT_.jpg

I have thought a lot about this. If this were a real SHTF scenario I would head out to sea. Unless you have a prepared place ready to go and IF you can get to it your fine. One problem during the trip and you are SOL. If you have a sailboat (must be over 40’ for intercontental travel) and the skills, you can go anywhere on the planet. No gas, electrical can be solar. Get a boat and a Class 3 license and something that fires in the .50 range (that could be mounted in a hurry) and you’re all set. Of course a Class 3 won’t count anywhere else so find a good place to hide it.

I know quite a few people who live on boats now. It’s not easy. Lack of sleep, crappy food and the ocean trying to kill you but people have spent months/years at sea fully provisioned. You could sail out in the middle of the night while the city is burning and come back 6 months (or years) later to see what is left.

Now unfortunately for me my wife doesn’t buy any of this so I’ll be heading to my parents place in Maine in my 99 Explorer.

Here is a nice example of something in the 40'-50' range.
49modelhead.jpg

Where do you live,Fallujah?
SW Ohio on the I-75 corridor. Those are International truck chassis that are built in Springfield, OH. I bet some of the finish work was done at General Dynamics Land Systems tank plant (where M1 Abrams are made and refurbed) in Lima, about 45 miles north of here on 75.

I have thought a lot about this. If this were a real SHTF scenario I would head out to sea. Unless you have a prepared place ready to go and IF you can get to it your fine. One problem during the trip and you are SOL. If you have a sailboat (must be over 40’ for intercontental travel) and the skills, you can go anywhere on the planet. No gas, electrical can be solar. Get a boat and a Class 3 license and something that fires in the .50 range (that could be mounted in a hurry) and you’re all set. Of course a Class 3 won’t count anywhere else so find a good place to hide it.

I know quite a few people who live on boats now. It’s not easy. Lack of sleep, crappy food and the ocean trying to kill you but people have spent months/years at sea fully provisioned. You could sail out in the middle of the night while the city is burning and come back 6 months (or years) later to see what is left.

Now unfortunately for me my wife doesn’t buy any of this so I’ll be heading to my parents place in Maine in my 99 Explorer.

Here is a nice example of something in the 40'-50' range.
49modelhead.jpg

One followup, Don't get anything over 100'. That is a cutoff in many harbors. Over 100' puts you boat on the commercial shipping side of the harbor and that is not safe. Under 100' usually puts you with other yachts. Those people tend to look out for each other. That number may be different now.

One other thing. Boat people tend toward the left/hippie side of the spectrum. Watch what you say and go with your gut. Liberal guilt can be deadly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom