SHTF reading

I'm on book 2. Love it!

The BF thing is retarded. But there's always going to be the few weak spots in any book.

Just started book 3, it continues to be a great read.

It's funny, every author and/or book series, especially in this genre, seem to get one thing they latch onto like the Baeofang radios, and they tend to harp on it, no matter how much sense it does or doesn't make. If that's the worst bit of authoring in this series, I'll take it.

So I finished Boston series and up till the last half of the last book it was great. Then it tanked and the ending was written like he just wanted to be done. Big let down.

I also finished the 9 book Purge of Babylon series by Sam Sisavath as recommended here. Amazing. I don't usually like the more sci-fi TEOFTWAWKI styles, but this one is really good. The writing is good and the character dialog is heavily sarcastic, which I enjoy. I was hooked till the end and sad it was over. The author is talking of another series as a sequel picking up where this one left off but with different characters. I'm hoping he does.

If anyone knows of a series like Babylon, please post it here so I can check it out.

So I finished Boston series and up till the last half of the last book it was great. Then it tanked and the ending was written like he just wanted to be done. Big let down.

I also finished the 9 book Purge of Babylon series by Sam Sisavath as recommended here. Amazing. I don't usually like the more sci-fi TEOFTWAWKI styles, but this one is really good. The writing is good and the character dialog is heavily sarcastic, which I enjoy. I was hooked till the end and sad it was over. The author is talking of another series as a sequel picking up where this one left off but with different characters. I'm hoping he does.

If anyone knows of a series like Babylon, please post it here so I can check it out.

Help me out on the "Boston Series"? Never heard of it?

The A. American books Going Home book series ended that way. Book 7 seemed phoned in.

I'm listening to Patriots now by Rawles on Audible as usual. It's poorly written and the reader is only average. There are some interesting ideas in it, which is the only reason I haven't deleted it. I'll likely tough it out till the end, but I'd avoid this one.

I actually liked Patriots. If you want to talk about a rag. Rawles next book after Patriots, Survivors was awful! I think he got religion and now thinks guns are bad. The main character takes on a SHTF world with a bicycle and Mag Flashlight??

Last edited:

I finished The Final Day a week or so ago. I really enjoyed it - ties it up pretty nicely. Really great trilogy, 3rd book is better than the 2nd but the 1st is still my favorite. Well worth reading the series if you haven't yet.

I picked back up with the Survivalist Series by A. American now that its done, currently on book 4, Resurrecting Home. These are enjoyable reads but they seem so much less realistic compared to Forstchen's books.

I finished The Final Day a week or so ago. I really enjoyed it - ties it up pretty nicely. Really great trilogy, 3rd book is better than the 2nd but the 1st is still my favorite. Well worth reading the series if you haven't yet.

I picked back up with the Survivalist Series by A. American now that its done, currently on book 4, Resurrecting Home. These are enjoyable reads but they seem so much less realistic compared to Forstchen's books.

Yeah I was entertained through all but the last book. I never finished it. The others were decent, the writing on the last one was terrible.

I'll add these to the list - been flying through some audiobooks lately!

The Franklin Horton series, Borrowed World
Boyd Craven has a few book out but the Devil Dog series and Good Fences I enjoyed

The Borrowed World's (& Locker 9) are good....quick reads and the cause of all the shit HTF are one of the few really plausible ones that are in stories such as these. Plus, the author seems to be a decent guy....chatted with him (via the netz).

Bought the Borrowed World kindle, reading it now, thanks for the heads up. Easy read, I like the author's style so far. I'm not sure it was believable how quickly people reverted to violence, but it wasn't a huge stretch. The attack was 10x more believable than Day of Wrath.

Just finished Cry Havoc on Audible - another pretty good one of the genre. A little slow start, setting the stage and explaining a few things, but overall I enjoyed it.

In case you're looking for something new to keep you motivated, I stumbled across this yesterday and the first chapter rang loud and clear with me and how easily being lulled into complacency can happen...

It's not a matter of if, but when. Stay vigilant.

I have been on a tear. I've now finished every Konkoly book. I'm almost done with Akart. Currently on book 3 of Blackout Series.

For non-fiction SHTF I'm reading Ordinary Men: Police Battalion 101 by Christopher Browning. It about how normal German police were taken and convinced to cleanse Jews in other countries behind the front lines. Half way through. Very well written and researched.

Anything new out? I was kind of scraping the bottom of the barrel in this genre when I last visited it a couple years back. I’m wondering if anything worth reading has been put out since...

This may deserve it's own topic but what books would people recommend keeping on hand? I'm so reliant on google to look things up but it would be nice to have some hard copies of things. Maybe not a SAS guide to survival catch all but a nice book on cooking with basic tools and maybe one for building basic things etc.

I recently saw a go fund me I can't find right now. I think it was called "the book" and it was how to recreate a lot of fairly modern technology. It just got me thinking.

Foxfire. The whole set.

-Grays Anatomy
-Harvard Medical School Family Health guide
-Physiciand Desk Reference (PDR)
-An encyclopedia set like a final year of Britannica
-The Ultimate Self-sufficiency Handbook by Gehring
-The Homesteading Handbook by Gehring
-Where There Is No Doctor
-Where There Is No Dentist

Books everyone should read
-The Gulag Archipelago
-Mein Kampf
-The Federalist Papers
-Brave New World
-On War by Clausewitz

-The Giver

Foxfire. The whole set.

-Grays Anatomy

-The Gulag Archipelago
-Mein Kampf
-The Federalist Papers
-Brave New World
-On War by Clausewitz

-The Giver
Great list. I would also read Atlas Shrugged.

The Borrowed World's (& Locker 9) are good....quick reads and the cause of all the shit HTF are one of the few really plausible ones that are in stories such as these. Plus, the author seems to be a decent guy....chatted with him (via the netz).
The locker 9 series inspired me, I've already told my wife I'll be positioning supplies in a storage unit for our son when he goes off to college. She knows if she argues I'll just do it anyway.

Foxfire. The whole set.

-Grays Anatomy

-The Gulag Archipelago
-Mein Kampf
-The Federalist Papers
-Brave New World
-On War by Clausewitz

-The Giver
Am I the only person who found the Foxfire books hard to read? I mean people hold them up like the holy grail but...ugh.

But what about just a good old fashioned cookbook,handyman book etc? Like growing up I remember a collection of home improvement books on a shelf. Almost like an encyclopedia set but thin hardcovers. That kinda stuff which may be helpful day to day and nice to have in a no power etc situation.

Back
Top Bottom