• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SHTF reading

Cyberstorm was great - just finished Resurrecting Home which was an awesome read as well.
5th book of 'The Remaining" series is out end of Feb so looking forward to that

Just started Resurrecting Home - good series IMO

Huh. Slightly weird writeup on Amazon. Let me ask you this - would you spend the $4 for it again, now that you know what's in it?

I read the rather long free sample. It seems odd, like maybe the protagonist is imagining it all - I think i can see where it's going, probably turns off some people. I decided to pass.

Huh. Slightly weird writeup on Amazon. Let me ask you this - would you spend the $4 for it again, now that you know what's in it?

I spent $0.99 on it when Amazon had it on sale. I felt like I got my money's worth. If I had nothing else queued up to read I would probably spend $4 on it.

On News Stands NOW (at least at Stop & Shop in Gardner) marked in the sku "Display until April 7, 2015"

A Special Edition Newsweek "OFF GRID"

Not a bad magazine, almost 100 pages, $11, not bad, broad coverage of a variety of items.

Finished the first of the 299 Days audiobook series. I'm not sure I can explain this well, but here goes: I am not blown away from a "this is a novel of epic proportions" standpoint. It's not terribly well written like a good novel would be - not a lot of active conversations and quite a bit of 3rd person narration. That said, it struck a chord with me. Something visceral. I think a lot of people (like us - awake and aware and preparing) can relate to the story and relate to the narrated interactions. It feels real and possible. Just grabbed book 2.

I realize this quote is a bit old but it's really the first time I've dipped my toes into the thread and I'm working my way through it backwards. Anyhow I just read the series last week and really enjoyed it for the most part, although I thought the last book was a bit eh overall. While it was okay to see how other storylines not really(or at all) mentioned in the other books progressed and kind of tied everything together. I would've rather seen how the known characters left behind adjusted to life after the start of the rebuilding process.

Is that John Ringo ' black Tide series? Big Ringo fan and haven't heard of it. If so is it any good?

He pumped out 4 books in a very short time frame last year, so I am not surprised that you haven't heard about it.
I only found the series when the second one was on the shelf and wound up getting all 4
They are OK. I'd probably wait for them in paperback at this point if you're going to buy all 4

Just finished book 5 in 'The Remaining' series - not bad - but seemed like a lot of writing for not much movement in the story line. Still worth the read if you like the Zombie/infected Horde genre
http://www.amazon.com/Remaining-Allegiance-D-J-Molles/dp/0316404268

Also just finished the 5th book in the "Surviving the Dead" series. This one was especially good as it stepped out of the series timeline for most of the book and went through a few years of one persons life from the start of the outbreak to current time. Thought is was the best in the series so far
http://www.amazon.com/Darkest-Place-Surviving-Dead-Novel-ebook/dp/B00TE90TGS

My wife has read some stuff by internet personalities such as Jerry Deyoung of survivalistboards.com fame. There are some others that post a lot of their stuff free. They call it "PAW" fiction, or "post apocalyptic world" fiction. It may be worth looking into.

Fookin' awesome. Start with Under A Graveyard Sky.

http://johnringo.net/

Enjoy.

Oh, and if you want to get them in digital form: www.baen.com. BETTER than getting them from Barne$ and Noble or Amazon.

I'll give that book a shot.

Just FYI, it's sold without DRM on Amazon.

"At the publisher's request, this title is sold without DRM (Digital Rights Management)."

Is anyone else using "Kindle Unlimited"? - all you can read for $9.99 a month; generally doesn't include best sellers, but most of the self published stuff and a bunch of others. I do a ton of reading so feel like I am getting a reasonable deal.

Just started listening to Wormwood by Micah Ackerman - the voice talent is the same guy who did 299 Days. So far, it's OK - the story is straight outta my early teen years\Cold War era storyline, but with a bit of a twist. It's certainly more novel than how-to.

Reading Jakarta Pandemic, bit disappointed with it so far.

That one is slow to get going, if I remember, but worth it. Check out the "Perseid Collapse" when you're done. It's not really a series continuation from "Jakarta Pandemic", but the same characters face another SHTF situation a few years later, and it's interesting to see how things changed in their preparations.

In addition to the "Perseid Collapse", there are a whole bunch of short stories in the "Perseid Collapse World". The author opened up the story line and encouraged other authors to pick up on something mentioned in the book and write a short. If he likes them, they're published as part of the "world" and featured on his website, in amazon searches, etc. I read a bunch of them, and they're generally pretty good 1 hour reads.

Jakarta starts slow and is a bit tough to read mostly because I spent a lot of time yelling at the main character for being an idiot in the first half. Fight thru it, it's worth it and the Perseid collapse followup is really good.

Jakarta starts slow and is a bit tough to read mostly because I spent a lot of time yelling at the main character for being an idiot in the first half. Fight thru it, it's worth it and the Perseid collapse followup is really good.

On perseid collapse. The characters are less realistic than a zombie book. Will continue reading but every other page is like wtf are you doing...

Back
Top Bottom