• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SHTF, long term disruption of medical services, and hollistic medicine.

I know a lot of you guys have extra prescription medications set aside as preps, but that stuff doesnt have an indefinite shelf life, and eventually supply will dwindle.

As I type this, I'm running a 102.5 degree fever due to a staph infection caused by some spider bites. I got me thinking, what if I wasn't able to just head over to CVS to pick up a prescription? What could I do to help my body fight off the infection?

Does anyone study alternative medicine as part of their preps?

My girlfriend is on Colchicine pretty much for life to treat a somewhat rare genetic auto inflammatory disease. When we found out, I looked into the drug and found it was very mild, and it's primary compound can be found in the seeds of the autumn crocus. Ben Franklin used the seeds to treat his gout. Now we have Autumn Crocus in our yard, just in case.

Besides that, I don't have much of a plan in this area, but I think it's something I want to look into in the future.

Yeah , my wife studies alt. medicine . Started with a class , then a friendship , then an internship with a local herbalist who does lectures and books and whatever. The more I learn about the lady the more I find out she's not a holistic silly witch but a vast source of knowledge. I still tease my wife about being a witch though.

Our gardening has shifted to a majority of medicinal herbs , with a store of others in the closet that begins , ( barely ) to compete with my ammo expenses.

Dig if you will this picture :

Grid failure and supply chain stoppage.
Diabetics , dialysis , heart meds , a few other categories - big trouble real fast.
Longer term essential meds , maybe blood pressure - big trouble a little later.
Psychoactive drugs - lithium , Prozac , etc - unleashes a tidal wave of unstable crazies.
Now add in an epidemic of hygiene based disease - dysentery to cholera.

Now - much later , while hearty survivor types are gardening away with M-16's slung like Rick in The Walking Dead , a flu epidemic , bad colds , strep throat , measles , chicken pox , appendicitis , ...

So yeah. We stock a few useful things.

Check out an insane prepper lady named Patriot Nurse and her antibiotics video.

I bought some Fish Antibiotics - same stuff as people version (some isn't be careful) - no prescription needed. I then printed out a page I found on the web about a guideline for dosage.

It's a crap shoot - and would never use it unless it was that or die; but I like giving myself as many chances as possible to live.

As I type this, I'm running a 102.5 degree fever due to a staph infection caused by some spider bites. I got me thinking, what if I wasn't able to just head over to CVS to pick up a prescription? What could I do to help my body fight off the infection?

If you want to do something right now to help fight this infection:
1) Garlic (aka Russian penicillin in WW2) - crushed, raw cloves eaten and also applied directly to the bites before systemic infection.
2) Onions, cooked and eaten.
3) Vitamin D supplements.
4) Vitamin C supplements.
5) Echinachea tincture.
6) Raw honey (must be raw, not processed) and fresh lemon juice, dissolved in hot water and drunk.
7) Fresh ginger.
8) Manuka honey applied directly to the bites before systemic infection.

None of these measures will harm you and some might actually work. [grin]

If you want to do something right now to help fight this infection:
1) Garlic (aka Russian penicillin in WW2) - crushed, raw cloves eaten and also applied directly to the bites before systemic infection.
2) Onions, cooked and eaten.
3) Vitamin D supplements.
4) Vitamin C supplements.
5) Echinachea tincture.
6) Raw honey (must be raw, not processed) and fresh lemon juice, dissolved in hot water and drunk.
7) Fresh ginger.
8) Manuka honey applied directly to the bites before systemic infection.

None of these measures will harm you and some might actually work. [grin]

A poultice of mashed fresh tumeric and coconut oil is supposed to have antimicrobial properties, and help with staph cellulitis. Not that in a shtf scenario either of those things will be easy to come by. I was trying to fight it, but my fever just kept holding, and infection site was getting really dark, so I caved and took the AB's. After two doses, my fever is down to 99.3, and the bites are ugly, but a less angry shade of purple. I'm not a fan of pharmaceuticals, but I'm not about to risk the bites going necrotic.

When I get a bug, I usually take a tea with fresh lemon juice, raw honey, fresh ginger, garlic and cayenne. So I agree with you on that stuff. Again however, some of that stuff won't be all that easy to get your hands on in a disruption of services scenario.

I bought some Fish Antibiotics - same stuff as people version (some isn't be careful) - no prescription needed. I then printed out a page I found on the web about a guideline for dosage.

It's a crap shoot - and would never use it unless it was that or die; but I like giving myself as many chances as possible to live.

This ^
Fishmox, FishCillin Fishflox are examples of antibiotics manufactured in the same facility as human antibiotics but labeled differently. They're the same product but have a "not for humans" warning on the label to allow them to be sold without a prescription. I then found lots of additional information regarding suppliers and dosing on survivalblog. Like GM stated, I too hang on to these for a SHTF scenario and wouldn't use them otherwise

This ^
Fishmox, FishCillin Fishflox are examples of antibiotics manufactured in the same facility as human antibiotics but labeled differently. They're the same product but have a "not for humans" warning on the label to allow them to be sold without a prescription. I then found lots of additional information regarding suppliers and dosing on survivalblog. Like GM stated, I too hang on to these for a SHTF scenario and wouldn't use them otherwise

Also Fishflex and Fishflex forte. (cephalexin) 250mg and 500mg respectively.

And don't forget colloidal silver. A piece of silver wire and a couple of batteries and a glass of water. Just don't keep drinking it until you turn colors.:D

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife is big on essential oils but the gotcha there is the quality of oils - some tout themselves as "therapeutic grade" but that's actually just some marketing bullshit and may be suitable for only for aroma therapy, some oils are too strong to use undiluted, etc, etc. Anyone can PM me if you want some details on why my wife keeps on hand. She's not on here but she's happy to share what she knows.

FWIW, essential oils are highly concentrated and therefore are packaged small and when properly stored, their efficacy can literally last for decades - all good qualities for LTS.

Last edited:
I started using essential oils and they do work. I get sick of all the BS from the companies though. The big ones are all multilevel marketing type and makes the stuff extra expensive. They make a lot of claims that they cant back up.

I have used both sugardine and honey on wounds and both work well.

I havent tried colloidal silver yet but interestingly enough I was researching it this weekend and am going to pick up some silver and have a go at making it.

We have enough ABX for several rounds for the family and I have the capability to do some basic testing to determine which ones to use. I envision these being held back for the severe cases but they wont last too long.

We also have really started growing a number of the basic herbs and figuring out what grows around us. There is a good book by Rosemary Gladstar on the basics and she selects a few to focus on. A couple other good books are Herbal Antibiotics and Herbal Antivirals. More clinical but good info. This also has real world non disaster applications as well. Our health care system is sliding backwards and it very well may come to this. BOth my wife and I are going to look into classes this summer.

One thing that is often overlooked is that we are going to have to learn to accept death again as a part of life. We will need to know how to properly prepare a body and bury it. Death will become very personal. No longer will someone die in a hospital, get whisked away to the funeral home and delivered to the church and gravesite. The gravesite will be your backyard or field and you will be doing the preps on the body in your own home. It may be your kid, spouse, parent etc.

Just note that you should not use plain sterling or other alloys of silver. Use only .9999 'pure' silver. Also use distilled water.

When you need it, storing water in a large container (plastic drum or similar) throw a silver round (99.9999 pure) in it. The old timers did it on rain barrels and such - the silver will 'dissolve' or 'protect' the water. Not sure of the term - but I know it used to be done in the old west.

When you need it, storing water in a large container (plastic drum or similar) throw a silver round (99.9999 pure) in it. The old timers did it on rain barrels and such - the silver will 'dissolve' or 'protect' the water. Not sure of the term - but I know it used to be done in the old west.

Finally! An actual SHTF use for those shiny coins people seem to be hoarding...

In the novel Alas, Babylon, (post nuclear war apocalypse type story), one of the guys
had practiced hypnosis on his kids, so that when he eventually had to perform an appendectomy with no anesthetic, he was able to do it with some pain relief. No idea if that would work at all, but it seemed like a cool idea when I read it.

I take colcrys (colchizine) for gout attacks. It does wonders. It's derived from this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colchicum_autumnale , unfortunately, it grows in temperate areas. I suppose you would have to have some kind of heated greenhouse setup for it.

I'm looking into some kind of durable, outdoor greenhouse setup for stuff like that.

I've been practicing my tough voice...
"Put the Lipitor in the bag, bitch"

images

I'm wondering if the drastic change in diet a SHTF scenario would cause would make high blood pressure and cholesterol moot. Then again, a high diet in meat based protein (if you're lucky) would probably make it worse?

I take colcrys (colchizine) for gout attacks. It does wonders. It's derived from this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colchicum_autumnale , unfortunately, it grows in temperate areas. I suppose you would have to have some kind of heated greenhouse setup for it.

I'm looking into some kind of durable, outdoor greenhouse setup for stuff like that.

Black cherry juice works for gout. I dont have it myself but I know several people who swear by it.

Back
Top Bottom