• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SHTF KNIFE

SHTF Blade preference

• Straight as an arrow

Votes: 54 55.7%
  • Bumpy like a MA.side street

Votes: 43 44.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My personal preference is for a serrated blade. No real basis other than being able cut through those things which need cutting. You can always carry a second knife with a straight blade also.

My main go to BOB knife is a combination blade.

Most of the blade is straight and the closest part of the blade to the hinge is scalloped.

9050SBK
ComboEdge®/ BK1 Blade Coating/ Black 6061-T6 Aluminum Handle Scales/ Lanyard
Add to My Favorites
Retail Price: $237.00
Restricted Item. Learn More

http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=9050#
benchmade%209050.jpg

I also have one of these in my BOB. I linked to the pic as its huge and I cant find the pic of my knife in my Photobucket album at the moment.
I never realised how expensive this knife is lately, when I bought mine about 20 years or more ago it was in the $50.00 area.
http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/puma_whi...tory&utm_content=USA&currency=USD&country=USA

http://astorarms.ca/images/Accessories/Puma White Hunter model 6377, DSC_3419.jpg

Last edited:
Hate serrated. If SHTF youll want to be able to resharpen your knife. Get something with a straight blade, made from a known steel. Dependability is more important that it being tacticool. If you like a toothy edge, get one in D2. D2 takes a crappy edge (still shaves, though) and holds it forever compared to some steels.

i just so happen to be using my S&W "ExtremeOps" as a paper weight... i'm going through my weekend spending [laugh]

looks just like this

it's a straight blade... the key is to zoro that bad boy to cut as much flesh as possible.

serrated knives are for bread... not meat [wink]

My workhorse SHTF knives are a KA-BAR tanto point with a lil serrated part a gerber combo edge folder and a clip point straight edge thick blade full tang thing, and then there are my razor sharp culinary set that i can sharpen very nice and cut stuff with. Dressed down carry is a Kershaw Leek combo its pointy good for stickin people

Straight for 2 reasons…
1 - As mentioned, you can sharpen it without a bulky kit in your bag
2 - Serrated is good for cutting crusty bread and rope, and not much else

I've got more knives than one person needs (ok, that's debatable) and the pocket knives that never get put in my pocket anymore, those are the ones with the serated blades. Pain in the ass once they dull. Give me a high quality straight blade and what ever rope you wanna cut through (just hanging or however you want to hold it) and I'll give you a run for your money on the straight blade getting to the other side just as fast or faster. The half serated blades seemed cool to me when they first started showing up, but the novelty wore off pretty quick. If I knick my straight blades It's not a big deal to clean them up.

I looked for a knife for SHTF and I bought these:

Gerber LMF II ASEK
lmf2asek.jpg

I like this one because it has a nice sheath, a sharpener built-in, the little seatbelt-cutter gadget slips in with the sheath, the steel is tough and not brittle. It is pretty idiot-proof. Yes I should know how to sharpen a knife decently but I haven't taken the time to practice and learn how, so I like the built-in knife sharpener (you just draw the blade through and it does an o.k. job.) I have used it to dig roots with and cut small branches. It feels good in the hand, it is thick and sturdy. In fact I really love this knife.

Then I also got this one:

Ka-Bar
kabarusmcseveninch.jpg

I haven't used this one much yet. I agree with what has been said about a straight knife, there's really not too much real application for a serrated blade, and it's a royal hassle to keep sharp and all. What I read about the ASEK is the serrated blade section is there for pilots who need to cut their way out of the seatbelt on a downed plane- which makes sense. So maybe it's good, maybe not. However the Ka-Bar is a classic, it has a different steel composition so it rusts easier than the ASEK but it takes a better edge.

Myself I'm happy with the two I bought, I think it's the best of both worlds. Of course I have a nice Gerber multitool for everyday use and a big-ass pocket knife for my purse. Essentials.

I bought a diamond hone for serrated blades for about 3 bucks. My serrated knives are plenty sharp, and I like the ability to cut wire and heavy plastic with it. Works great for cutting out of seatbelts too I'm told.

My Spiderco will slash and cut as well as any straight blade. You really don't want to stab, in defense it doesn't do enough damage.

For everyday carry I have a half and half folder with a tanto point. Works great. The serrations mostly get used for stripping wire since the serration works better than a straight edge for that function.

In my BOB is a much larger knife in a drop holster. It's more like a 3/4 straight 1/4 surrated, full tang with exposed tang at the pommel for breaking glass. It has just enough serration to be available if needed with lots and lots of blade to resharpen.

Here's the knife

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/crkt-ultimate-survival-fighting-knife.aspx?a=500908

I hardly consider it an "ultimate survival" knife, but it's very good. long enough to be useful in most sitations. Heavy without being excessively heavy. Also, while the grip feels odd at first, it's very comfortable in all three main grip possitions:

Blade extending from thumb side of hand, Spine towards thumb (positive grip)
Blade extending from pinkie side of hand, Spine towards forearm (reverse grip)
Blade extending from pinkie side of hand, blade towards forearm (icepick grip)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom