SHTF currency

I've chatted with some folks who say they never go bad. And if stored properly (cool, air free) they will last a damn long time. They may lose some of their potency but that's about it.

I think it's akin to canned foods. There's a "best if used by" date but they don't really go bad.

Given the choice of an expired antibiotic, or no antibiotic, in a SHTF situation I know which way I'd lean.

Look into fish antibiotics. Seriously.

You mean the stuff they give to farmed salmon to keep it from dying due to poor conditions? :)

- - - Updated - - -

Keep it in that 2nd fridge you have in the garage or basement. They'll outlast you.

So are you guys all recommending the Amazon fish antibiotics? If so I'll buy some!

- - - Updated - - -

I've chatted with some folks who say they never go bad. And if stored properly (cool, air free) they will last a damn long time. They may lose some of their potency but that's about it.

I think it's akin to canned foods. There's a "best if used by" date but they don't really go bad.

Given the choice of an expired antibiotic, or no antibiotic, in a SHTF situation I know which way I'd lean.

I recently had infected abscess, I would NOT want to experience that without antibiotics.

It's a shame we can't just buy things like antibiotics and serious pain killers to have on hand. Anyone who has ever needed a root canal knows how amazing painful a little tooth infection can be, and how amazingly helpful antibiotics and some decent pain killers are. The big pushback on antibiotics is that if they are widely available to the commoner they will be abused, efficacy will fall, etc. But that is exactly what happened when we let the medical profession make the decisions.

It's a shame we can't just buy things like antibiotics and serious pain killers to have on hand. Anyone who has ever needed a root canal knows how amazing painful a little tooth infection can be, and how amazingly helpful antibiotics and some decent pain killers are. The big pushback on antibiotics is that if they are widely available to the commoner they will be abused, efficacy will fall, etc. But that is exactly what happened when we let the medical profession make the decisions.

You can it just takes lying to a doctor to get them or perusing darker places of the interweb.

http://www.campingsurvival.com/fishantibiotics.html

Better than nothing

Sure would beat dying a horrible death from infection. Last year I had bronchitis and waited way too long before seeing the doc. It kept getting worst and got so bad that I swear it would have killed me without antibiotics.

My wife reminded my that if they spread Anthrax, Ciprofloxin is what you want.

That is... potentially excellent information.

Rx required? Can someone expound on whether these meds are true equivalents?

Reminds me of the "you might be a prepper if..." joke
If you have ever bought anti biotics from a vet for human use
If you have ever bought grain from a Fed store for human use.....

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

That is... potentially excellent information.

Rx required? Can someone expound on whether these meds are true equivalents?

No RX required. Im no doctor, but from a little google searching, it seems to me that if bought from a reputable source it would be safe to use. they have the exact same numbers stamped on them as the ones for human consumption, although some may say there not quite as "refined". IDK but I doubt there any different than the shit you can buy OTC in Mexico (or walmart generics for that matter).Id take it in a SHTF scenario. heres just one link I read:

http://www.truthistreason.net/guide-to-veterinary-drugs-for-human-consumption-post-shtf

hopefully we have a Veterinarian in the house to chime in.

Junk Silver, but it'll be a while before that comes into play. Bullets, Beans & Band-Aids for at least the 1st year or so. When things become some what stable I think people would be more willing to trade for pre-65 coins than Silver Rounds & Ingots. Not everyone has a Silver test kit but manufacturing counterfeit Dimes & Quarters would be cost prohibitive. Anyone with half a brain wouldn't question that they are what you say they are. I can't see hack sawing off a piece of Gold Coin or Gold Bar to trade for a winter coat of some medicine. You will have effectively shown your hand. With Junk Silver, you can make exact change.

im not saying your basic every day mom and pop as being a horder im talking about the companys who horde clean water or food rations from the public, if you deny that that will go on your nuts. is buying Metals a fool proof plan, no of course not, thats why i started this thread to see what others had opinions on and to start up a conversation. do i think a world crippeling event is going to happen, unlikely. but there is a chance something does happen to change our way of life, theres a good chance. every one has their methoods i guess. as far as skills go i think thats going to be the biggest asset someone will have if something happens, but now a days most people are too reliant on tech.

You've outed yourself. You're saying a company that purchased merchandise is OBLIGATED to sell at a price someone else decides, or give it away, or they are 'hording'? Wrong. They should be able to sell or not sell anything they own. If I put up a 2 month's worth of food, and you put up one, am I 'hording' after the first month? What about if I put up a year's worth of food, slowly adding stuff over a year or years, and you have 1 month. Am I 'hording' then?

ive said this before and ill say it again... BACON!

Bacon can be pressure canned and it lasts well over a year.

Bullets, bourbon and bacon. In that order. Always have plenty of each. And some USD as well, you can always burn it if it's useless based on the SHTF scenario of the day.

Aspirin for the bourbon, TP for the Bacon. My chickens give me plenty of eggs to eat with the bacon.

Metal is useless when you are starving and trying to defend yourself.

Unless the metal is lead in 55, 62 or 230 grain bullets

Sure would beat dying a horrible death from infection. Last year I had bronchitis and waited way too long before seeing the doc. It kept getting worst and got so bad that I swear it would have killed me without antibiotics.

My wife reminded my that if they spread Anthrax, Ciprofloxin is what you want.

Cipro is no joke. My neighbor had an adverse reaction to it and had seizures and ongoing neuro deficits from it. He was a runner, and walks with a cane now. It would HAVE to be anthrax for me to take it. Gimme my Zithro z-pack instead

They work. Well.

Ahh, modern science.

We bitch and moan, but consider Queen Hatshepsut, supreme ruler of Egypt in Ancient Times.

She had the power of Life and Death over millions, was wealthy beyond belief, yet died from an Abscessed Tooth - likely in Agony.

I'd not trade my life for hers !

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2009/04/hatshepsut/brown-text/9

You've outed yourself. You're saying a company that purchased merchandise is OBLIGATED to sell at a price someone else decides, or give it away, or they are 'hording'? Wrong. They should be able to sell or not sell anything they own. If I put up a 2 month's worth of food, and you put up one, am I 'hording' after the first month? What about if I put up a year's worth of food, slowly adding stuff over a year or years, and you have 1 month. Am I 'hording' then?
Yes, you are hoarding. Remember, when someone else has an inventory of something in short supply that you are out of, it's "hoarding". When you are the one with the supply it is "prudent inventory management". And remember, those that pass anti-hoarding laws either have their own horde or have special access (like the ability to pull the car they take home up to the municipal pump, or when the are asking everyone to stay off the phone in time of crisis, have a 710-NCS-GETS account).

Price hikes in time of shortage do three things:

1. Enrich a lucky few
  2. Provide incentive to increase supply (like that guy who moved a truckload of generators into New Orleans after Katrina)
  3. Assure that the supply will be distributed to those with the most need and not stockpiled (hoarded?) by those who happen to be at the vendor when the supply arrives.

Legislators spend too much time worrying about #1 and totally ignore the beneficial effects of #2 and #3.

Cipro is no joke. My neighbor had an adverse reaction to it and had seizures and ongoing neuro deficits from it. He was a runner, and walks with a cane now. It would HAVE to be anthrax for me to take it. Gimme my Zithro z-pack instead
The same is true of a vast number of Rx meds that people generally think are harmless. Ever take Presnisone for poison ivy thinking it was safe? Well, I have an artificial him that proves Prednisone is not safe. On the other hand, I have taken Cipro without any problems.

Last edited:
Yes, you are hoarding. Remember, when someone else has an inventory of something in short supply that you are out of, it's "hoarding". When you are the one with the supply it is "prudent inventory management". And remember, those that pass anti-hoarding laws either have their own horde or have special access (like the ability to pull the car they take home up to the municipal pump, or when the are asking everyone to stay off the phone in time of crisis, have a 710-NCS-GETS account).

I know I'm probably splitting hairs, but as I see it....if you buy a box of ammo a week for a year, and there is suddenly a shortage, THAT is prudent inventory management.

If you realize the shortage is happening, and then go buy the last 50 boxes, even if you don't have something that shoots that caliber, THAT is 'hoarding'. Sorta.

Because otherwise my 'buy 2 boxes and shoot one' makes me a hard core hoarder. Like 'when the guy at Cabela's gun check-in recognizes you' kinda hard core. Like 'WTF is in this anyway?' from the UPS guy kinda hard core. Like 'ship it to relatives in other states and cache it there' because otherwise you're over the MA storage limits kinda hard core.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom