SHTF currency

for about 3 years now I have been buying 1 oz. silver bars and some coins. just testing the water and looking to see what others are buying or planning to use as trade bait or currency when the grid goes down and the banks are closed. does anyone have a plan. care to share?

for about 3 years now I have been buying 1 oz. silver bars and some coins. just testing the water and looking to see what others are buying or planning to use as trade bait or currency when the grid goes down and the banks are closed. does anyone have a plan. care to share?

Lest assume that SHTF happens, society in chaos, people dying left and right with clusters of people trying to survive. My question to you is what good are those silver bars and coins to you? I am talking about a real full fledged SHTF here not the run to the grocery store and buy all the food because of 2 feet of snow.

I also have no desire to be trying to trade with desperate people if the SHTF. You might make a couple of successful trades, but you might also just clue someone in that you've got a surplus of resources and they follow you home and blow your head off.

I think the zombie-apoc SHTF scenario, like say, an EMP takes down the whole US grid, or a virus brings society to a halt, is pretty unlikely.

Much more likely is some kind of banking crisis where you can’t get your money out of banks for a month. I think in this case you’ll be able to go to stores, but credit cards won’t work, you’ll need cash, and they likely won’t take silver. Have physical cash for this scenario.

I have some physical gold/silver for the hyper-inflation scenario – but this kind of thing takes years to unfold. I’m buying now cause I know I won’t have the balls to buy silver at $60 or gold at $1800.

For the unlikely zombie scenario, I have some extra 5.56 ammo to use as currency.

Greenbacks.

Worked in the post-Katrina New Orleans sh!tshow. Total SHTF situation right there.

Tony.

I think the zombie-apoc SHTF scenario, like say, an EMP takes down the whole US grid, or a virus brings society to a halt, is pretty unlikely.

Much more likely is some kind of banking crisis where you can’t get your money out of banks for a month. I think in this case you’ll be able to go to stores, but credit cards won’t work, you’ll need cash, and they likely won’t take silver. Have physical cash for this scenario.

I have some physical gold/silver for the hyper-inflation scenario – but this kind of thing takes years to unfold. I’m buying now cause I know I won’t have the balls to buy silver at $60 or gold at $1800.

For the unlikely zombie scenario, I have some extra 5.56 ammo to use as currency.

lol good call on the 5.5, at least one person on here didnt go all walking dead. do you go through a broker or freelance when buying metals?

I believe in full SHTF scenario ammo would be one the best currencies. also stuff like cold medication, painkillers, antibiotics, soap, bleach, salt (deep inland), fire-starting tools/supplies, hand-tools.
silver will have it's place but much later into SHTF, when first town-ships and organized trade re-establishes. Untill then people will have easier time using natural trade than currency.

although SHTF scenarios can vary significantly. Not every SHTF will be full-on TEOTWAWKI. SHTF can be small, short term, localized to certain degree. it might be that government institutions will not completely fail. Maybe some local states, counties, communities or mil bases will be able to stay in control and expand control of certain areas or aspects of life in near vicinity. variables are almost infinite and will affect final outcome of the scenario. can't predict every aspect 100%.

Greenbacks.

Worked in the post-Katrina New Orleans sh!tshow. Total SHTF situation right there.

Tony.

yeah but how many ppl prepare for that and actually have that much cash on hand.look at the events in greece recently, personally i hardly ever carry cash.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe in full SHTF scenario ammo would be one the best currencies. also stuff like cold medication, painkillers, antibiotics, soap, bleach, salt (deep inland), fire-starting tools/supplies, hand-tools.
silver will have it's place but much later into SHTF, when first town-ships and organized trade re-establishes. Untill then people will have easier time using natural trade than currency.

although SHTF scenarios can vary significantly. Not every SHTF will be full-on TEOTWAWKI. SHTF can be small, short term, localized to certain degree. it might be that government institutions will not completely fail. Maybe some local states, counties, communities or mil bases will be able to stay in control and expand control of certain areas or aspects of life in near vicinity. variables are almost infinite and will affect final outcome of the scenario. can't predict every aspect 100%.

yeah i can agree on that. good call

Trade?
I thought we were going to just take advantage of the less prepared people who don't have any firepower?

SHTF currency: If you cant eat it, shoot it, or burn it in a motor.

agreed but what if you have none of that? how do you replenish stocks when there are others out there hording goods? with out bartering power you either do 1 of 2 things, steal/fight or start....well you know the rest lol

I think one of the big challenges with silver and gold is that they aren't easily recognized. You hand most people a pre 65 quarter and they see a quarter not a silver piece. Look at that video where people were asked to pick a candy bar or a silver bar. Most picked a candy bar. I think the same would be true in a disaster. For example, I am at a market after TSHTF and am trading honey. Get approached by 2 guys. One with silver and the other with a pair of shoes. I would take the shoes over the silver. Why because I can inspect the shoes and know that they are good. I can try them on to see if they fit. They are something I may be able to trade for something else I need. Not so with the silver. I am going on faith that the bar is real and what you say it is. THen I have to turn around and be able to use it to trade for something else and convince someone else that it is worth it. It would be a lot less desirable. I may take a chance on it but it would be worth far less than the shoes. If I cant eat it, drink it, wear it etc it would be worth little in a disaster.

I look at PMs as an investment for the long term like stocks or mutual funds but something that I have direct control of but not as a lot of use in a post TSHTF world.

You need some US dollars on hand and some in at least one other currency that you think will survive the banking downfall.

See the thread here on Argentina and Bosnia to learn from their financial crises. Also, Google stable (fiat) currencies in the world today (governments that basically are more fiscally responsible that the US and the EEC). Some say Canada, but YMMV.

The hope would be to cash in the stable fiat currency at the US Banks and trade it for inflated US dollars in a crisis. But, everything you try would be a crap-shoot in an economic meltdown scenario.

Do your homework!

Last edited:
agreed but what if you have none of that? how do you replenish stocks when there are others out there hording goods? with out bartering power you either do 1 of 2 things, steal/fight or start....well you know the rest lol

Instead of buying silver, buy goods that would meet the eat it, shoot it, etc criteria or put some of that money away in cash!!! Or learn a skill that would be useful for trade. It is funny that if someone is more prepped they are hoarding...

i dont see a shtf scenario lasting longer than a month unless it is a infectious virus. we all have most of what we need in our homes except enough fuel and milk. zombies and endless civil unrest probably is not in the cards.

Instead of buying silver, buy goods that would meet the eat it, shoot it, etc criteria or put some of that money away in cash!!! Or learn a skill that would be useful for trade. It is funny that if someone is more prepped they are hoarding...

im not saying your basic every day mom and pop as being a horder im talking about the companys who horde clean water or food rations from the public, if you deny that that will go on your nuts. is buying Metals a fool proof plan, no of course not, thats why i started this thread to see what others had opinions on and to start up a conversation. do i think a world crippeling event is going to happen, unlikely. but there is a chance something does happen to change our way of life, theres a good chance. every one has their methoods i guess. as far as skills go i think thats going to be the biggest asset someone will have if something happens, but now a days most people are too reliant on tech.

lol good call on the 5.5, at least one person on here didnt go all walking dead. do you go through a broker or freelance when buying metals?

I just buy from a couple of the most reputable places on Ebay (APMEX, MCM). I could buy direct from the same shops but Ebay lets you use CCs, get Ebay bucks etc, discounted Ebay gift cards etc. You just have to wait for deals.

im not saying your basic every day mom and pop as being a horder im talking about the companys who horde clean water or food rations from the public, if you deny that that will go on your nuts. is buying Metals a fool proof plan, no of course not, thats why i started this thread to see what others had opinions on and to start up a conversation. do i think a world crippeling event is going to happen, unlikely. but there is a chance something does happen to change our way of life, theres a good chance. every one has their methoods i guess. as far as skills go i think thats going to be the biggest asset someone will have if something happens, but now a days most people are too reliant on tech.
fuel is what we use every day, yet only have a weeks supply on average except for heating oil/wood/propane. gasoline will get you what you need: travel, electricity, water from well or even use as a weapon. i usually have 30 gallons stored that i rotate constantly by using five gallons every week in the truck. 22lr ammo is something i would think is good to have: cheap and in common use. canned/dry foods. what else do you need?

I think one of the big challenges with silver and gold is that they aren't easily recognized. You hand most people a pre 65 quarter and they see a quarter not a silver piece. Look at that video where people were asked to pick a candy bar or a silver bar. Most picked a candy bar. I think the same would be true in a disaster. For example, I am at a market after TSHTF and am trading honey. Get approached by 2 guys. One with silver and the other with a pair of shoes. I would take the shoes over the silver. Why because I can inspect the shoes and know that they are good. I can try them on to see if they fit. They are something I may be able to trade for something else I need. Not so with the silver. I am going on faith that the bar is real and what you say it is. THen I have to turn around and be able to use it to trade for something else and convince someone else that it is worth it. It would be a lot less desirable. I may take a chance on it but it would be worth far less than the shoes. If I cant eat it, drink it, wear it etc it would be worth little in a disaster.

I look at PMs as an investment for the long term like stocks or mutual funds but something that I have direct control of but not as a lot of use in a post TSHTF world.

So then SHTF is the time to BUY silver!

I will stock up on comfortable women's shoes.

22lr ammo is something i would think is good to have: cheap and in common use

I see this stated a lot - I assume it's for shooting squirrels and rabbits when food is scarce? I don't get that, cause if people get desperate enough to start hunting, the animals will all be gone in 24 hours.

^^THIS^^

While the complete SHTF scenario is unlikely, not preparing for it is foolish. That said, the above is the same approach I have taken - cash on hand for short term issues, silver and gold as a hedge against inflation\currency collapse, and ammo for when and if the zombies come.

I buy silver and I have ammo to trade. I have it from 1/10 coins to 1kilo bars assorted. Also medical supplies to trade also. I think if you can make your own ammo and booze you're well off.

Once SHTF Michael Jackson is coming back from his hideout on Mars and making his ultimate comeback. There will be a new king, the King of Pop!

Back
Top Bottom