SHTF Ammo

As a whole why would you look to head out on foot? Head out to your bug out location and secure the area. If you need to double back to a vehicle with supplies make sure you have enough of a force to secure both locations while setting up. As for fire fights... It's nice to not have to use ammo but lets face it in a protracted event you will bleed ammo. Be it on hunting, defense or what ever. It will happen and having enough mobile can be a huge asset. Those that talk about not being able to mOve with a couple cans have not set up well enough in my book. The other key is to do EVERYTHING at night.

Caching is a good idea. But day or night shouldn't matter if you can't be seen from the road, or if you are backing a truck into a garage bay, etc.

On foot? Roads are blocked cant carry mich ammo on a bike,

What if you bug out location burns down or is comprmised

How are roads going to be blocked? There isn't enough man power for a ton of check points and as for other shit I'm planning on running with the plow on. The whole point of having enough people is to maintain a perrimiter and keep it from being compromised. It is also a matter of knowing the terrain and having it in a good spot. Burnt is always a risk but isn't that always?

The guys who can afford to lay down suppressive fire are in a much better position than those who are running light and attempting to capitalize. But if you have perrimiter teams rotating throughout and highly trained dogs you stand a chance. There is a reason I have a west german blood lines Shepard coming from the czech republic in a week or so. My buddy also has 2 dobermans that are ready.

To each their own but I'd rather be planned heavy with supplies and a convoy that can run at night and have to scale back then be the guy who needs to run light and end up screwed.

OK, so to be real--I think when the "experts" say 9mm will be plentiful, they are referring to the long term post-SHTF barter type stuff and not the "OMFG Rawlsian Apocalypse". My 2 cents on what to keep should the SHTF: at least 1k rounds for each handgun you own, 2k for each long gun and as much 22lr as you can find. YMMV.

running your convoy where? Are you planning on over running or 'requisitioning' someone else's place? Going Mad max?

Isn't the whole goal to have it pre-positioned? On your own land?

A predetermined location we have. It's our place so unless someone tries to claim it before we get there and we force them out it won't be a problem. Living in Westfield isn't a wise place to hunker down. It is too populated and where I live is in too close proximity to surrounding houses to properly secure. We will take our chances getting out at night running the truck using nv.

I agree with rlbreton for minimum amounts. But of course I only have a box or two of each caliber. The good thing is my garage is big enough and set up to drop my 275gal waste oil tank in to the bed of my truck. My truck can run off that and we could fit and load supplies in to three trucks at the same time and roll out all at once. Fuel is something that also needs to be seriously looked at and diesel/waste oil is far better than e-10 gas.

A predetermined location we have. It's our place so unless someone tries to claim it before we get there and we force them out it won't be a problem. Living in Westfield isn't a wise place to hunker down. It is too populated and where I live is in too close proximity to surrounding houses to properly secure. We will take our chances getting out at night running the truck using nv.

I agree with rlbreton for minimum amounts. But of course I only have a box or two of each caliber. The good thing is my garage is big enough and set up to drop my 275gal waste oil tank in to the bed of my truck. My truck can run off that and we could fit and load supplies in to three trucks at the same time and roll out all at once. Fuel is something that also needs to be seriously looked at and diesel/waste oil is far better than e-10 gas.

Can this truck with a plow on it make it down the street filled with abandon cars! And debris

As far as gas, it will much easier to find seeing as almost every car runs on it and they all have a plastic fuel
Tank which can be punctured and drain, most people own more than one car, so there will plunty of abandon cars in driveways and on streets,

Last edited:
Can this truck with a plow on it make it down the street filled with abandon cars! And debris

As far as gas, it will much easier to find seeing as almost every car runs on it and they all have a plastic fuel
Tank which can be punctured and drain, most people own more than one car, so there will plunty of abandon cars in driveways and on streets,

Think about what the roads look like during or before bad snow storm blocked and jamed

I guess time will tell. I've pushed 2 cars in the way while plowing. You make it out to be every open place will be blocked. Every road, sidewalk, and yard. I had to get around when the tornado rolled through. You find places to cut through or make your own.

Gas doesn't last and everyone runs it and will be going after the same thing, just like food. Prove me wrong here. If you're out scrounging for 5-20gal at a time you're screwed.

I guess time will tell. I've pushed 2 cars in the way while plowing. You make it out to be every open place will be blocked. Every road, sidewalk, and yard. I had to get around when the tornado rolled through. You find places to cut through or make your own.

Gas doesn't last and everyone runs it and will be going after the same thing, just like food. Prove me wrong here. If you're out scrounging for 5-20gal at a time you're screwed.

All depends on what causes the SHTF really I have. A cottage in maine in a fresh water lake with nothing around, thats where I would go, but its 4 hours away so it all depends on scenrio

Think about what the roads look like during or before bad snow storm blocked and jamed

I plow in them. During the oct storm I had to push trees to get down streets. During the big one last year I had to plow a few streets in spfld loaded with cars to get to accounts. It happens but I'm not seeing everyone barracaiding every ounce of road for the hell of it. Most will hide inside until it's too late.

I have already stocked more ammo than anyone is going to find on a whole bunch of dead bodies.

And : Yuck , planning to be the first guy to find dead bodies to rob is kind of a bad plan when you think about it. Buy some ammo now instead.

I make sure I don't use all that I buy.

E.g. buy 1,000 rounds of 5.56, maybe use 250 or so. Next month, buy another case of 1K, use maybe 200 or 250. Only way you'll have enough for a "rainy day".

I buy 9mm whenever I see it for >$15 a box. I just switched over from an AR15 to an AK47. I can stack it deep for cheap. I can buy 2 cases of ak ammo for the price of 1 case of ar ammo, no brainier. Girlfriend still has an AR she is most comfortable with that.

Also 2 of my range buddies and my brother primary riffles are the ak so there will be ammo to share with good reliable people.

A predetermined location we have. YODA IS THAT YOU?

Huh????
I buy 9mm whenever I see it for >$15 a box. I just switched over from an AR15 to an AK47. I can stack it deep for cheap. I can buy 2 cases of ak ammo for the price of 1 case of ar ammo, no brainier. Girlfriend still has an AR she is most comfortable with that.

Also 2 of my range buddies and my brother primary riffles are the ak so there will be ammo to share with good reliable people.

Agreed. Commonality of ammo between all in your circle is important. Nothing like interchangeable mags and rounds when it counts.

Nah..I buy in bulk [smile]

0205B592_zps694551c5.jpg

Just remember: >1000 you need the FD permission slip :)

I have plenty of 9mm, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

If you're planning for a SHTF gun right now, being a little late to the party, I'd immediately go by a few SKS's and a Mosin or two. There's plenty of Russian ammo around, Cabela's never ran out of 7.62x39.

Remember a pistol is a terrible self defense weapon in relation to a rifle. Your sidearm is a SECONDARY weapon. Should you be proficient and well supplied to use one, yes. Should you be planning on your 9mm being your doomsday go to gun? NO.

Last edited:
6 rifle mags and 2 pistol mags on my PC. That is fine if you're away from your supply but you better have a source to resupply if needed. But I agree a couple mags[laugh] I hope that's all everyone else has.

That's a heck of a PC. How many Mhz? What does your laptop hold? [rofl]

P.S. What the heck is a "PC"?

That's a heck of a PC. How many Mhz? What does your laptop hold? [rofl]

P.S. What the heck is a "PC"?

PC = Plate carrier.

FYI Kyle Lamb, you know the badass special forces guy, trains in all of his classes that One mag equals one kill. Not one MA cripple mag, one standard capacity 30rd AR mag.

One mag per kill was his units average in Mogadishu. That's one mag per person for a group of hardcore fighters with lots of experience.

If you have only six mags you're way under prepared unless you've got a bunch of other guys with you.

PC = Plate carrier.

FYI Kyle Lamb, you know the badass special forces guy, trains in all of his classes that One mag equals one kill. Not one MA cripple mag, one standard capacity 30rd AR mag.

One mag per kill was his units average in Mogadishu. That's one mag per person for a group of hardcore fighters with lots of experience.

If you have only six mags you're way under prepared unless you've got a bunch of other guys with you.

How many mags do you think you can carry on you with other supplies while leaving your hold position? I'm not going to say on an open forum what I may or may not own. At the same time a few guys with 6 rifle mags plus a few pistol mags as back up each better be enough to allow you to retreat and rearm. If not I feel you're doing it wrong.

The barrel of M855 in the basement

I'd be picking up some of those cans from the classifieds of I were you.

I'm not saying six isn't fine on a PC, just saying six is not a lot, especially if you're alone. I always bring up the magazine quantity in these ammo threads because how much ammo you have means jack shit if it's not preloaded in mags ready to use. You're better off with 100 mags fully loaded than 10,000 rounds of ammo and only 6 mags.

People spend thousands of dollars on ammo, $300-$500/case, but they won't buy 30 PMAGS at a time for some reason despite the fact you can get them for $10 each.

And yes even if you live in a state with a ban you should own Pmags. Take a drive, buy them, load them and store them somewhere.

Personally I carry eight on my PC. Pistol I carry with two spare mags, not on carrier.

I'm not saying six isn't fine on a PC, just saying six is not a lot, especially if you're alone. I always bring up the magazine quantity in these ammo threads because how much ammo you have means jack shit if it's not preloaded in mags ready to use. You're better off with 100 mags fully loaded than 10,000 rounds of ammo and only 6 mags.

People spend thousands of dollars on ammo, $300-$500/case, but they won't buy 30 PMAGS at a time for some reason despite the fact you can get them for $10 each.

And yes even if you live in a state with a ban you should own Pmags. Take a drive, buy them, load them and store them somewhere.

Personally I carry eight on my PC. Pistol I carry with two spare mags, not on carrier.
Right?!? When SHTF, the stupid MA and NY laws wont mean shit!

StevensMarksman

Back
Top Bottom