shtf ammo

Yo, toastie. Not sure where you got the expert from but, what the hell. Are you ever going to pick just one? One. I'll take a 12 gauge.

FAL with M80 ball and some 150 gr soft points is my current go to gun and set up. As I said I dont intend to use this for hunting much as I prefer traps and snares.

To answer Bloodhounds original question for .223 I would pick one or two bullet types and stick with them. I prefer the heavier types like the Sierra 77s and Hornady 75s match HPs. I am currently working on a load using the Hornady 75s. Realistically you are not going to be able carry more than a few hundred rounds if you are on foot so dont worry about buying thousands of rounds of expensive ammo. The 75s will take care of just about anything I will encounter including deer. As I stated earlier I do not plan on relying on a firearm for food but rather traps and snares , a garden and my own food stores. For practice I have 55 gr reloads. The point of impact is close enough at the ranges I feel are realistic and I can load them for about $85/1000.

Actually most of this thread has been irrelavent because the original question was what should Bloodhound use for ammo in his AR-15 in the event he needs to bug out.

Bloodhound- check the major ammunition manufacturers websites and they will probably list a 55-60 gr Soft point. Just make sure it is designed for medium game and not varmints. Hit up the local shop and buy a box of each. Find the one that matches your chosen BO load for point of impact at 100 to 200 yds. Buy a few boxes of it and you should be all set.

Last edited:
Which leads me to Zen. Don't get me wrong Zen, I can appreciate your adventure but your still walking around with an amory. The question is which is your one pick. If you want a 22 then that's fine. I'd still take a 12. That's my pick for just about any situation that I can think of. I edited this to lose story time.

Actually, I did pick one: the 30-30. Hard hitting enough, light, available everywhere - gun shops, department stores, mom and pop country stores. It's still the round that takes more deer in this country year after year than any other. .308's and 30-06 are fine I suppose, but heavier. If I'm picking just one (and I can't imagine ever wanting just one), I'll go with the lighter, reliable choice. The SKS is a solid weapon, but I'd worry about finding ammo in the long run.

As to my adventure, I wasn't carrying all those all the time. I just had them with me in the cabin. They were just what I calculated I might need for four months with very little human contact and no resupply. I only mention it to put the three options in contrast to one another. All Rambo illusions aside, I was surprised how important a role the .22 played.

To me, though, what's most important to this discussion isn't only the ballistics of one choice over another. If you're going to bug out with just one round, you should know it inside and out and have confidence in it, and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Back
Top Bottom