SHTF Ambulance

Hey NES,

Has anyone ever thought of having an ambulance for a SHTF scenario?? It could be the ultimate SHTF vehicle. Fairly rugged, Lots of storage, places to treat wounded. They are fairly cheap at municipal surplus auctions.

They serve many purposes after retirement. Good for trades (plumbers, etc). I had a former TV news remote van I used to tow around a race car for a few years. Somewhat similar to an ambulance in setup.

Good vehicle, but in a SHTF scenario, fuel might not be available so it might not be such a great choice since it's a guzzler.

when I was in college my friend bought a hearse. One of those big old caddy wagons.....very cool. Not the same thing but it was still cool.

One thing to consider about ambulances is that they often have the snot beat out of them by the time they are retired. Plus, they have been used thoroughly (inside) in disgusting ways. Source: my brother in law was an EMT for a while.

th

57cb60b0d78e25d3b179825dafc33639.jpg

th

when I was in college my friend bought a hearse. One of those big old caddy wagons.....very cool. Not the same thing but it was still cool.
Did you go to U-Mass in the mid/late 80's? My best friends neighbor had a Caddy Ambulance too. They lived at the Swiss Village aka Swillage. Now I think it's called The Alpine Commons

In many states ambulances have to be registered commercial. YMMV. Motorcycle racers buy them all the time, lots of old Ford diesels.

Last edited:
They're usually pretty beat to snot, as mentioned, and have gotten their full use. You'd be amazed at how expensive a new one is, vs what they're worth when they're taken out of the fleet.

HOWEVER... If you could find a solid one, clean, it could make a serious SHTF ride. Tons of room for storage, sleeping quarters if needed.

Buy an army surplus one. Old school diesel 4x4 and one of the few trucks with ac.

Came here to suggest this.
You'd have to look at what you're wanting from the vehicle to pick the appropriate model
I don't think I'd want an old commercial ambulance
Most if them get run pretty hard before they get retired, unless you find one like one of the local rigs that went up for sale when the ambulance service shut down due to a lack of volunteers

Back
Top Bottom