• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shrouded hammer or exposed hammer is the question???

So looking at a carry gun and wanted some input on what people like /dislike about the hamerless vs the exposed hammer like on the S&W airweight 642 vs 637

thanks

Like the exposed hammer... unless I'm pocket carrying. In which case the 637 sports a set of Bianchi Lightning grips, which shroud the hammer (mostly) by themselves.

I have a M640 that is hammerless and completely snag-free.
Great for pocket carry (in a holster) as it comes out quick.
Chances are that you would use a PDW double action anyhow, and that is how you should practice.

Jack

I used to have a 637 with an exposed hammer, and now have a 340 M&P shrouded. I used to think I "needed" the single action for fun shooting, but have ended up doing 99% of revolver shooting double action anyways.

As far as carrying, I found really no difference. The hammer on the 637 never cause an issue drawing from a pocket or IWB. Perhaps if I'd been drawing for real it'd been a different story though.

I used to have a 637 with an exposed hammer, and now have a 340 M&P shrouded. I used to think I "needed" the single action for fun shooting, but have ended up doing 99% of revolver shooting double action anyways.
+1 - I have been consciously trying to only shoot my wheelguns in double action the last year or two, and it's surprising to me how accurate I can be with them. I used to shoot single action... not so much any more.

As requested...

DSC00927.jpg

DSC00929.jpg

Why yes, indeed I have shot 357 out of mine. Does wonders for the onset of carpel tunnel.
I made it through 12 rounds before I had enough of that nonsense. I then handed it to my best friend he fired 1, gave it back. But in a real situation I'm sure I won't feel a thing. For
accuracy, can't hit the broad side of a barn past 20 feet.(without a lot of trying)

The _42 models with the internal hammer are about the most snag-free pocket guns you'll ever find. If needed, you can also fire these while they're in your pocket.

I own a 340 M&P, which is about 1.3 oz heavier than the PD. I really can't for the life of me figure out what the big deal is with these. I found they're a LITTLE harsh the first 100 or so rounds you put through them, than the recoil doesn't seem so bad at all. For me, at about 50 rounds, I developed a blood blister on my trigger finger while firing as fast and accurately as I could with 158 grain .357's (10 grains of Blue Dot). After I got through that, the recoul of the gun really seems pretty mild. I had the same perception when I shot the .500 S&W for the first time, and it doesn't seem as bad as its reputation now either.

I greatly prefer hammerless or shrouded for pocket carry. For holster carry, I'm carrying something a lot bigger and easier to shoot than a snubbie. YMMV.

Any of you guys firing the 357 out of these. Whats the recoil like and accuracy?

The recoil is definitely worse with .357, but it's manageable for 15 or so rounds, which is probablly what you'd have with you if it's your carry piece.

When I first got the gun, I shot a whole brick of .357 one day at the range, & my palm bled. [smile] Now, I shoot mostly 38spl at the range.

I agree totally. Excellent firearm to carry, and with .357's in it even if I miss the bad guy he'll think he's dead. (Lots of muzzle flash and extra boom over .38's)

I was shooting last week, & a guy a few stalls over came over to see what sort of giant noisemaker I had. He was surprised to see the little snubby.

Back
Top Bottom