show us your designer, tacticool, $$$ bug out bags [BOB bag]

Something that's important to note is probably put thought into is the bag geared for access to shelter or not. Because in NH/ME/VT winters or hell, even FL in the summer without shelter what's inside that pack will change or u ded.

Best way to learn how to pack. Go for a 3 day hike, all the sh*t you didn't need and weight you down, take it off.

Then go for another 3 day hike, if possible on a rainy day.

Rainy because you will learn to appreciate having an extra pair of dry socks and a dry t-shirt. You can also test how waterproof all your "waterproof" gear really is and how much it s*cks to set up a tent fast, with no overhead cover, without getting the interior wet.

One major design flaw of backpacks that come with a cover (and people think that is enough), is the part that touches your back. There is no cover for that and the water running down your back will soak it and soak what is in the bag. You won't learn that unless you take it out when it is wet.
**made a note to move poncho to an easily accessible position**

I have a GHB that is probably too heavy and some stuff in a cargo box in the SUV. I figure I can customize what I need depending on circumstances and ditch the rest if needed. My back is older and more tired now. :(

Last edited:
Best way to learn how to pack. Go for a 3 day hike, all the sh*t you didn't need and weight you down, take it off.

Then go for another 3 day hike, if possible on a rainy day.

Rainy because you will learn to appreciate having an extra pair of dry socks and a dry t-shirt. You can also test how waterproof all your "waterproof" gear really is and how much it s*cks to set up a tent fast, with no overhead cover, without getting the interior wet.

One major design flaw of backpacks that come with a cover (and people think that is enough), is the part that touches your back. There is no cover for that and the water running down your back will soak it and soak what is in the bag. You won't learn that unless you take it out when it is wet.
Ooh yeah. Those pack rain covers just help in quick and light rain storms.

Major items in your pack should go in a dry sack inside your pack. And spare shirts/socks or other quick access items go inside ziplock bags inside your pack. I personally like to wrap zip lock bags in 100mph tape to add durability/tear resistance. Having additional smaller dry sacks would work too I suppose. But zip lock bags and duct tape are a great field expedient method of you’re raiding a CVS.

**made a note to move poncho tp an easily accessible position**

I have a GHB that is probably too heavy and some stuff in a cargo box in the SUV. I figure I can customize what I need depending on circumstances and ditch the rest if needed. My back is older and more tired now.

Yup. A poncho was always in an outside pouch on my ruck. Along with long and thin bungee cords for quickly tying the he tarp down. Made setup a breeze.

I definitely have to get some spare socks and a hoody or something in my GHB. I went non-tacticool and I feel like I'm just lacking space and/or exterior attachment points. Can't imagine it'll be better with water bladder full.

I definitely have to get some spare socks and a hoody or something in my GHB. I went non-tacticool and I feel like I'm just lacking space and/or exterior attachment points. Can't imagine it'll be better with water bladder full.
Bladders take up space and if they break you are f*cked. 2 or 3 small plastic bottles (not the fancy hard plastic sh*t people use, but regular supermarket bottle) are better and can be crushed when empty to save space. Soda bottles are great for this (dump the soda).

Sweatshirts are too heavy. Get light jackets and layers of t-shirts instead. They will weigh less and probably take up less space when properly folded.

Mine and my wife's BOBs have everything we need, and each weigh nearly 80lbs. They are excellent quality bags, well balanced, and have good support straps and belts. We have practiced hiking extensively with them and are experts at hiking them from the house to the car. With some team work, we can even lift them in to the vehicle. I'm thinking of pairing ours down a bit. The inflatable hot tub and heater might need to go.

I definitely have to get some spare socks
It’s a necessity to have spare dry socks and foot powder if you’re moving on foot or staying outside for more than a day. More so if it’s winter months.

For those that may not know, you don’t want to get caught out there with your everyday cotton socks or those little short business type dress socks. Once that material gets wet and is under heavy moment or stress movement it will shred the skin on your feet bloody.

Also a good idea if you’re keeping a bag in your vehicle, to also keep a good, broken in set of boots or hikers right next to it. Dump the business shoes or whatever people wear these days and go right to your boots and good socks. I’d rather give Maura Healy a foot rub w/Breakfree than get caught somewhere in the shit wearing low quarters during any kind of movement.

They said you could outfit an army with the shit on the side of the road of an armies first mile in pre ww1
Can I interest you in a used Army Blanket?
Never slept-in/only dropped once.

Mine and my wife's BOBs have everything we need, and each weigh nearly 80lbs. ... I'm thinking of pairing ours down a bit. The inflatable hot tub and heater might need to go.
(Why is it always the chicks that need to sluice off?)
81X1XmfhCVL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
what-is-a-solar-shower.jpg
2bbe79ba-cac6-4bf1-ab1a-ed36093088ff_2.1a1dcb4d3fac631fef54d6841bf57701.png
solar-heated-portable-camping-shower.jpg
(Actually, Very Fake News. But I would have to Karma gallons of
Coghlan's Camper's Eye Bleach to NES
if I posted any of the down-page guy photos
).

I think for most people it’s just a good excuse to buy some cool gear and toys to learn about and play with. Hobby-ish but also serves a purpose.
Except most dont learn, they buy them and throw them in a closet, that is how you end up with some of those terrible bags weighing 40lbs+, they are not water proof, they keep everything in one bag, they don't have proper straps and so on.... but it almost always has a cool patch. Priorities.

Then they go online and tell everyone how they will carry a rifle with 200 rounds + a handgun with 200 rounds + their bag full of useless sh*t and maybe their 16lbs plate carrier. [rofl]

If they attempted hiking just once with all that junk they would realize how stupid they sound.

Yep, do stuff in layers, when I was going in the office I carried a sling bag, it contained first aid, flashlight, small prybar and some lock picks, water. it's purpose was strictly get me to my car, in the car I had a get home bag, it contained shelter spare clothes, compass, fire and water purification basically enough to last me overnight. once I get home I have packs for other stuff but unless we get a 400' Tsunami I'm staying put at home.
Use the blood pressure cuff looking thing sold at home depot to break into cars. Used to move heavy stuff, also good for gapping car doors without f***ing the paint up

Except most dont learn, they buy them and throw them in a closet, that is how you end up with some of those terrible bags weighing 40lbs+, they are not water proof, they keep everything in one bag, they don't have proper straps and so on.... but it almost always has a cool patch. Priorities.

Then they go online and tell everyone how they will carry a rifle with 200 rounds + a handgun with 200 rounds + their bag full of useless sh*t and maybe their 16lbs plate carrier. [rofl]

If they attempted hiking just once with all that junk they would realize how stupid they sound.
Ya I get it. No sweat off my back though. It’s the old horse and water thing.

Where are you guys lugging that thing through? Looks very 'tacticool' even a civilian can see the molle straps on the policeman SWAT backpack and the IFAK med kit attached to the side of it screams operator, aka 'hey everyone this guy is ARMED!!!!!' Even tacticool companies like 5.11 and Maxpedition are jumping on the grayman/covert packs now. A good North Face or REI hiking pack would pack your stuff and people will think you voted for Bernie and don't question the dozen Sub2Ks you packed in it.

20220405_174241.jpg
This is what I leave in my car now. I thought that outer pouch would be good for first aid but it's actually kinda small. I also don't really get the design of having it separate but also permanently attached... It's a Teton Oasis 22. I also keep paracord and some other random stuff in the car that could then go on/in the bag. Though I need a replacement tarp/shelter.

View attachment 599656
This is what I leave in my car now. I thought that outer pouch would be good for first aid but it's actually kinda small. I also don't really get the design of having it separate but also permanently attached... It's a Teton Oasis 22. I also keep paracord and some other random stuff in the car that could then go on/in the bag. Though I need a replacement tarp/shelter.
That smaller outer pouch would be perfect for a packable rain jacket if it will fit. Keep the wet weather gear handy and not buried inside with a bunch of other items. 👌🏻

That smaller outer pouch would be perfect for a packable rain jacket if it will fit. Keep the wet weather gear handy and not buried inside with a bunch of other items. 👌🏻
Maybe that inexplicable permanently-attached smaller outer pouch
is supposed to have something like rain gear jammed behind it and cinched down
with all the Inexplicastraps?
(Not talking about the outer bungee cords).

Back
Top Bottom