Show me your watches. :)

silversquirrel

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My wife's Christmas present to me finally showed up yesterday...mailing/shipping snafus. Note to self...never ship or order anything via FedEx "Smart" post. They are two for two screwing things up.

It's a Luminox...I know, not a lot of love here for these but it was in one of my searches a month or so ago and my wife saw my searches and bought it. Seikos were another I was looking at but at almost 2x the price. My wife stretched her budget buying this for me. She purchased it from GovX, an authorized Luminox dealer.

Before this watch, I had been wearing a Garmin Forerunner 25 for several years. I liked it but some of the stuff I do almost requires a second hand. I'll keep the Garmin for when I am out hiking, etc.

View attachment 322610

...and the Garmin:

View attachment 322618
Thats a sharp looking Luminox!
I really like my luminoxes (2 now, because dad didnt like the NRA special I bough him).
I would like to find one with a swiss automatic movement, in titanium, but they are pricey.

Roland Deschain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Anyone have a Speedmaster? Getting the itch to get one for a bday gift to myself!
I don't have one... but when I expressed the interest, a good friend of mine said to be very careful of which model you buy. He basically said that many of the movements in the various models of Speedy were overly complicated in terms of pulling them apart to maintain. There were a few variations that he said weren't retarded for maintenance. I wish I knew them off top of head, but might be worth googling.

ProGun

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I don't have one... but when I expressed the interest, a good friend of mine said to be very careful of which model you buy. He basically said that many of the movements in the various models of Speedy were overly complicated in terms of pulling them apart to maintain. There were a few variations that he said weren't retarded for maintenance. I wish I knew them off top of head, but might be worth googling.
I've heard this, too. I believe the Speedmaster Reduced has a modular movement for the chrono and is harder to work on and less reliable (?).

PappyM3

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Anyone have a Speedmaster? Getting the itch to get one for a bday gift to myself!
Do it. It's such a classic design and I can throw it on pretty much any strap. The design detail of the domed acrylic against the dished bezel doesn't get old. And the acrylic is pretty easy to keep scratch free by using polywatch every now and then. Another plus is that the acrylic doesn't leave smudges/fingerprints the way sapphire does. I will say the one downside I've found is that the chronograph hour is not directly linked with the rest of the chronograph, and therefore doesn't line up exactly on the hour when it should. It's always just slightly offset. But, that's been my only annoyance.

IMG-8165.JPG

IMG-3535.JPG

IMG-2271.JPG

IMG-8154.JPG

If you can afford it, go for the new steel model with the original style 321 movement in it. But I have a feeling those will go for much money. Mine is the standard professional model with the 1861 movement.

Last edited:

PappyM3

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I've heard this, too. I believe the Speedmaster Reduced has a modular movement for the chrono and is harder to work on and less reliable (?).
The Speedmaster Reduced has an automatic movement with a chronograph module on top, yeah.

It's an ETA 2892, which is a rather robust movement, with a Dubois-Depraz chorongraph module on top of it. Because of this, the chronograph pushers aren't actually on the same level as the crown. They're offset slightly.

As far as servicing, in some ways its actually easier to service than the 1861 handwind in the Speedmaster Professional. They can just take the chronograph module off and service the 2892 like any other normal automatic three hand movement. However, generally Dubois-Depraz modules are hard to service if there's an issue with the chronograph mechanism.

PappyM3

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
While I'm posting pictures, I just recently built this watch which functions as my field watch. It has a Seiko NH35 movement in it and has a crystal times case. I wanted to have the crown at the 9 o' clock position, but the dial's center was just ever so slightly off and I will need to use a file to remove a tiny bit of material to make sure the post doesn't rub at all. Currently, there is no rubbing with it at the 3 o'clock.

IMG_2276.jpeg

IMG_2273.jpeg

IMG_2274.jpeg

Executive

NES Member
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Do it. Find a new old stock model. The newest release is no longer as authentic to the original. Closer to the original movement, but with sapphire crystal front and back. And every year they get more expensive.
IMG_1754.jpeg

Chris

Roland Deschain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
While I'm posting pictures, I just recently built this watch which functions as my field watch. It has a Seiko NH35 movement in it and has a crystal times case. I wanted to have the crown at the 9 o' clock position, but the dial's center was just ever so slightly off and I will need to use a file to remove a tiny bit of material to make sure the post doesn't rub at all. Currently, there is no rubbing with it at the 3 o'clock.

View attachment 327725

View attachment 327726

View attachment 327727
I've been VERY happy with all of the NH35 movements I've had over the years. Just a nice solid workhorse movement

PappyM3

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I've been VERY happy with all of the NH35 movements I've had over the years. Just a nice solid workhorse movement
Yup. I still need to regulate this one, but it's not too bad out of the box. Also, since it's a little on the fast side, just pulling the hacking stem for those few seconds gets it back on track without having to reset it. Easy peasy.

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do it. Find a new old stock model. The newest release is no longer as authentic to the original. Closer to the original movement, but with sapphire crystal front and back. And every year they get more expensive.
View attachment 327729

Chris
Man, if I could just go a year without buying bang-bangs, I'd have one of these already. I've been dying for one for a while.

PappyM3

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Lots of great watches in the "not quite crazy expensive" price level. Tudor is producing some interesting and stylish watches which you can actually find for sale unlike their parent company.

Chris
Nice. I've been looking at Tudor for a "dive" watch for for weekends and when I don't want to get the Speedy wet. I'm eyeing the Black Bay 58, but if they come out with a Pelagos in the BB58 size then I'm putting a deposit down that day.

Top Bottom