1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Show me your watches. :)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Roland Deschain, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Skeeter

Skeeter

I've been waiting to see what the new wave dial would look like. Now that I see it I like the first wave dial version much better.

2. ccm75

ccm75 NES Member

About two years ago a friend of mine asked me to hold some money for him.

He had been battling many demons for many years and asked me to dole cash out to him slowly over time as he could not have free access to it. He told me that if anything happened to him I was to keep the money and spend it on my family and myself...."Don't pay any god damn bills....fishing gear and the wife and kids..."

He died suddenly but not unexpectedly about a year ago. He left me his money. And when I say he left me his money I mean he left me a fat envelope of cash.....I put a good portion of it into two family vacations and I bought a new BP rifle of which he would have approved although he was not a shooter or hunter. I would occasionally dip into for some ammo or something my kids needed.....

I spent the final chunk of it today.
    I will think of my old pal every time I put this on.
    He liked nice things but definitely had champagne taste on a Budweiser budget.....I can hear him laughing and saying "Good for you - you deserve it for putting with all my shite over all those years....!" RIP Bill. I hope the fish are biting and thanks for the watch...............

untitled.png untitled1.png untitled3.png untitled.xpng.png

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    icyclefar, Palladin, kalash and 10 others like this.
  3. watchman

watchman

Very good choice CCM75

ccm75 likes this.
  4. SERE

SERE NES Life Member NES Member

[halfmast] and [cheers]

5. chindogg

chindogg NES Member

6. boilermaker

boilermaker NES Member

Does anybody have any recommendation on used watch dealers? Looking for a nice watch as a present to myself but looking for a bit of a discount too. Looking for the "only half a box down the pipe, never carried" equivalent for watches.

kelton likes this.
  7. LuvDog

LuvDog NES Member

8. jasonj84

jasonj84 Dealer NES Member

The Watchmaker in Stoneham MA has a small amount of of preowned. They currently have a nice, freshly serviced Submariner for $6200. Pearsons in Amherst, NH has a large assortment of preowned (no sales tax). Royal Jewelers in Andover, and European Watch Co. in Boston. You can check them out on their websites. For online Chrono 24 and Jomashop are good trusted sellers, and good barometers for used pricing.

SERE, yogi and boilermaker like this.
  9. new guy

new guy NES Member

Define "nice."

I've purchased from European Watch Co. on Newbury street in the past and have been happy with them. Don't be afraid to haggle.

yogi likes this.
  10. 45collector

45collector NES Member

I stopped wearing a watch when I got my first cell phone in 1999, but my wife got me this for a wedding gift and I wear it occasionally. Mostly when we're going out somewhere nice or if I'm dressing up, which is rare.
    002.JPG

11. Moderator

Moderator Moderator NES Member

This was my dad's old watch, I lost him back in 2009. It sat in his night stand when I was a kid and then was in the basement for many years after.

A while back I was thinking about it and wondered what happened to it. I had some old boxes in Mt garage from when I moved to my house back in 06. I don't know why I botherd even looking in the boxes, but to my surprise I found his watch. It was missing the bezel (I broke it when I was a kid) and badly beat up. I lightly polished it the best I could and found a donor watch (in France only one I could find being sold in a long time) for a new bezel. I just got the new band in this week and drooped it off today for a new crystal. I'll post new photos when I get it back next week.

The name brand is Dynasty which went out of business many years ago. The real magic is the movement. The Valjoux 7734. This movement was used in many watches by brands that have been long forgotten. It was the top dog for many of these companies, but it was also used by big brands such as Zodiac, Tissot, Heuer, and even Breitling. I'm looking forward to wearing my dad's watch on a semi regular basis.

IMG_20180501_103516.jpg IMG_20180430_183153.jpg IMG_20180402_130711.jpg IMG_20180406_110002.jpg

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  12. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman NES Door Greeter

Don’t have a better quality photo...maybe Ill bring out the presentation box and my gift from the dealer at another time to reshoot. Wife’s wedding gift to me a Rolex Oyster Perpetual with white gold bezel.

Attached Files:

Mass-diver, ProGun, yogi and 2 others like this.
  13. kalash

kalash

14. yogi

yogi NES Member

Nice! And it's got the "roulette" date wheel which I think is totally cool.

Dirtypacman likes this.
  15. jasonj84

609E7965-5C5F-4C7D-A3DF-6D54243F6F80.jpeg Have been looking for a new watch for awhile. Wasn’t looking at JLC, but this came up at too good of a deal to pass on.

Mass-diver, yogi and ProGun like this.
  16. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 NES Member

My Victorinox broke this week. I went to change the date, and pulled it out too far to change the time. When I pushed the wheel back in the seconds hand started sticking. It will sit for 5-7 seconds, then jump to where it should be, then stick again.

I dropped it off at the jewelers. Hopefully it isn't anything major, it's a great every day work watch.

17. MRE

MRE NES Member

You may just need a new battery.

From the Victorinox FAQ:

Q. How do I know when the battery needs changing?
    A. In select models, the battery end-of-life indicator signals that the battery should be replaced within two or three days. When the battery is low, the second hand stands still for 2-4 seconds, then speeds up to the correct time. This indication will last for approximately one week, then the timepiece hands stand still. -SA

18. fshalor

fshalor NES Member

This thread needs hotlinks to watchuseek forum.. and I need to check out.

Need to source some orings for a few seikos in my hands .Nothing more. No .don't buy another watch .Don look .no .no.

19. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 NES Member

That's what I was hoping! The woman who received it in put it as a probable battery replacement as well. I want sure given that it happened immediately after adjustment

20. yogi

yogi NES Member

image.jpeg The latest:

Skeeter, Palladin, pj150 and 3 others like this.
  21. watchman

watchman

You have a mono collection you need to add an Omega or Breitling :emoji_smiling_imp:

22. yogi

yogi NES Member

Funny you should say that....I flipped a Breitling (the Transocean chrono with their very nice in house movement)....I miss it....Omega just doesn't do it for me....next up is a Seiko PADI....have two kids in college this year and watch funds are at an all time low.

23. LuvDog

LuvDog NES Member

Nice collection but I agree a nice speedmaster would look nice in that group

yogi likes this.
  24. watchman

watchman

The Seiko Padi is a very nice watch I have the similar looking older 009. That will give your collection some color too [cheers]

yogi likes this.
  25. yogi

yogi NES Member

I have come so close to pulling the trigger on a speedy...but something always stops me.

26. yogi

yogi NES Member

Thinking a little red, white and blue for the 4th

watchman likes this.
  27. jasonj84

Nice collection!

28. Roland Deschain

Roland Deschain

I became obsessed with the NY0040 series of citizen watches a while back. I'm not sure if I posted this here, but this is the 09w, full lume dial version of the watch. I have managed to find all of the dial variations now, and am a happy camper. I'm not sure if I posted this one here or not.

Also.... Kanji... :emoji_couple_mm::emoji_couple_mm::emoji_couple_mm::emoji_couple_mm::emoji_couple_mm::emoji_couple_mm::emoji_couple_mm:

I'll post some of the other variants if I remember. This isn't very rare. It's discontinued though. The whole series is.

MVIMG_20180626_225137.jpg

Attached Files:

73BLow, yogi and kelton like this.
  29. sgeary

sgeary NES Member

Picked this up from an estate sale yesterday.

Attached Files:

bgoum and yogi like this.
  30. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman NES Door Greeter

Estate sales, as I get the time and cash Ill be visiting more of those