• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

show me your Enfields!!!

show me all your SMLE's!!!

lh1.jpg

aussie lithgow 1920 no1 mk3

31170024.jpg

1942 no4 mk1 BSA

31170020.jpg

1918 BSA no1 mk3

heres a video of two of them
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKbs31kfIFQ

Last edited:
Just got the one. An Ishi Enfield 2A. Stipped off the crappy paint refinished the metal and wood. Not a bad shooter. Thing still leaks cosmo when it's warm outside. It's probably so soaked with the stuff it will leak long after I'm gone I'm thinking.

100_1555.jpg

Very nice, how much is the NATO 308 usually?

I bought a 200 rnd can of the Indian Surplus from Milsurps 4 Me for cheap. It's absolute crap ammo and I would never use it in my semi auto and modern 308 rifles. But, in the Ishi if works just fine. It's actually fairly accurate as well.

I bought a 200 rnd can of the Indian Surplus from Milsurps 4 Me for cheap. It's absolute crap ammo and I would never use it in my semi auto and modern 308 rifles. But, in the Ishi if works just fine. It's actually fairly accurate as well.

thats the story with a lot of the British and Indian surplus.

You have to look around but you can find some good deals on them. I got the 1918 no1 mk3 for $400, the no4 mk1 for $175 and the Lithgow no1 mk3 for $150. Look on gunbroker.com for the current prices there fetching for online and call around and ask local shops.

Are there any problems with the "cheap" ones? It'd be my first rifle and 2nd gun, so the purchase would be purely out of the "hey, it'd be nice to have a rifle to shoot every now and then and not have to pay $600+ for a tack driver" variety.

The main thing that can go wrong with Enfields is the recoil lug of the forestock and bore condition. The Lee-Enfield has a two piece stock so there is lots of vibrations on the rear recoil lug area. Its not uncommon to see cracking of the wood back there but its nothing you cant fix or order another stock.

Enfields are still in reserve service today in some former British Commonwealth nations so these guns have been used forever. As a result shot-out bores are not uncommon to see on Enfields. Some Enfields saw service in the far east fighting the Japanese so you should also look for pitting below the wood line.

Their was nothing wrong with my $175 no4 mk1. The only issues with my Lithgow $150 was cosmoline(almost the rule with milsurps).The forestock recoil lug area was badly cracked. I sent it away to a guy who specializes in stock repair on surplusrifleforum.com and should have the forestock back in a few weeks.

Last edited:
I found that a couple of my Enfields had more Cosmoline than any Mosin I had. I'll have to get some pictures of mine to post. I have a No 4 Mk1* made by Savage, a Number 4, Mk II, a No 5 Jungle Carbine, and a No. I Mk III BSA "Disbursement" rifle made in 1943.

Great rifles, all of them.

I found that a couple of my Enfields had more Cosmoline than any Mosin I had. I'll have to get some pictures of mine to post. I have a No 4 Mk1* made by Savage, a Number 4, Mk II, a No 5 Jungle Carbine, and a No. I Mk III BSA "Disbursement" rifle made in 1943.

Great rifles, all of them.

I'm curious how hard does the jungle carbine kick? I have heard some horror stories about wondering zero and the recoil. I weigh in at 200lbs so its not like I'm small framed or anything and the recoil wont really hurt me.

My $149 Century FAZ #4 Mk1

After I cleaned it all up
DSCF0980.jpg

And once my son got hold of it after Christmas
DSCF1117.jpg

He's waiting on a scope [thinking]

I know sacrelidge (sorry on the spelling) but it can always put the wooden suit back on.
In the mean time it is a blast to shoot, accurate as heck as it is (I actually can't wait to scope it out too) and I picked up an 800+ round case of the POF 303 and haven't had a dud or hang fire yet...just lucky I guess [banana]

Last edited:
I'm curious how hard does the jungle carbine kick? I have heard some horror stories about wondering zero and the recoil. I weigh in at 200lbs so its not like I'm small framed or anything and the recoil wont really hurt me.

I haven't shot it yet, but I'd guess it's about the same as a M-N 91/59 or M38. Although the No. 5 has a much smaller butt. It's on my list of rifles for the next shoot I go to.

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH THE HUMANITY OF IT ALL!!!!!!!!!. JK looks like the rifles not altered too bad. Please tell me its a no drill mount for the scope?. they do make a no drill one you can order that uses the safety screw and ejector screw.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/cadtechnikno4/index.asp

It's a no drill...I told you...I can always just put the wooden suit back on to restore it!
I picked up the scope mount from Midway for $24 a couple of weeks ago on sale!

After a 3 or so month wait I finally have my Aussie Lithgow together. The sling is a repro leather sling, slings like these were found on S.M.L.E.'S used in British Commonwealth nations and during early world war 1. The stock was very badly damaged and a guy from surplusrifle forum fixed the forestock up nice for me. The buttstock was too badly damaged so I got a "new original" coachwood buttstock from Springfield sporters. I had to do a lot of fitting to get the buttstock to fit.

lithgowre1.jpg

lithgowre2.jpg

After a 3 or so month wait I finally have my Aussie Lithgow together. The sling is a repro leather sling, slings like these were found on S.M.L.E.'S used in British Commonwealth nations and during early world war 1. The stock was very badly damaged and a guy from surplusrifle forum fixed the forestock up nice for me. The buttstock was too badly damaged so I got a "new original" coachwood buttstock from Springfield sporters. I had to do a lot of fitting to get the buttstock to fit.

lithgowre1.jpg

lithgowre2.jpg

Looks good. Did you get the sling from IMA? I have on on my No.1

Back
Top Bottom