Should The Beef Jerky Guy Be Allowed To Sell @ Near-Fest ?

Should The Beef Jerky Guy Be Allowed @ Near-Fest ?

• Yes

Votes: 43 93.5%
  • No

Votes: 3 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
why not who doesnt like jerkey... let capitalism prevail if people decide he shouldn't be there they won't buy his jerkey. people stick around more if they have a snack to eat.

I just posted this on the NF forum:

Some of you may be familiar with the fine locally made smoked meat and cheese products of Andrew and Libby Smith.

http://logsmokehouse.net/

These people have been a popular staple of the New England gun show circuit for over 20 years.

I've been telling Andrew and Libby about Near-Fest for a few years now and urged them to check into it.
I spoke with them yesterday and was informed of the cold reception they received by the NF people.
After having many info requests completely ignored, they finally received an answer of "we don't want you here", with no further explanation.
Why would the NF staff turn away a paying commercial vendor who's products have proven to be a big hit with the public?
I realize that their wares are not radio related, but there's tons of stuff being sold at NF that has nothing to do with radio, and those folks aren't being turned away.
They wouldn't even be competing directly with the other established food vendors because their products fall into the luxury snackfood catagory.
If there's a good reason why they're being shut out of NF, I'd like to hear it.

Scott.
=============

Let's see if it get's me banned too.

Last edited:
OK, who are the Wisenheimers that voted NO ???

[laugh]

Must vegetarians.

Wedgie.gif

Last edited:
I just posted this on the NF forum:

Oh sweet jesus, they have an online store. Congratulations zappa you have placed the final peg in my coffin, 30$ minimum order is a lot of jerky and once I start I know I wont be able to stop eating it.

If there's a good reason why they're being shut out of NF, I'd like to hear it.

Indeed. I'm hoping to make a major buy this coming weekend at the BigE If it turns out that there's some ideological basis for the Smith's rude reception, it needs to be aired at some length.

Zappa, it may be possible that Mr. Mike and his crew at Near-Fest are constrained by the terms of the property lease. I am thinking that there may be a clause in the contract forbidding them from bringing in outside food and beverage concessions. I say this, not because I have any specific knowledge, but because I have noted at prior Near-Fest's that the only food and beverage vendors were those with existing stands within the fairgrounds.

Zappa, it may be possible that Mr. Mike and his crew at Near-Fest are constrained by the terms of the property lease. I am thinking that there may be a clause in the contract forbidding them from bringing in outside food and beverage concessions. I say this, not because I have any specific knowledge, but because I have noted at prior Near-Fest's that the only food and beverage vendors were those with existing stands within the fairgrounds.

If that's the case, then that's understandable, but the Smiths at least deserved the courtesy of hearing this explanation rather than the rude brush-off they received.

In general, if the location and event rules allow a non-event vendor to set up and sell their wares, and if other similar non-event vendors have been allowed also, then I would vote "Yes". A lot depends on the specifics of the event contract and such.

In general, if the location and event rules allow a non-event vendor to set up and sell their wares, and if other similar non-event vendors have been allowed also, then I would vote "Yes". A lot depends on the specifics of the event contract and such.

If that's the case (and we're only speculating here) then that's fine, I won't argue with it.
My gripe is more about the way the Smiths were snubbed by the NF officials.

Yesterday afternoon @ Wilmington the wife and daughters had stacked up a bunch of tee shirts they wanted. After I paid the man I turned around and the girls had vanished. I found them at the Jerky Guy, just like last year. They never miss the Jerky Guy.

OK, here it is, I just got a reply on the NF forum, FPrice and N1OTY are correct.
It's a contractual thing with the fairground operators, they're only allowed three food vendors to operate on premise during this event. Adding another one would incur an additional $350 fee for the event organizers.

If the Libbys were told that up front I wouldn't have gotten all riled up over it.

Resume Normal [wink]

OK, here it is, I just got a reply on the NF forum, FPrice and N1OTY are correct.
It's a contractual thing with the fairground operators, they're only allowed three food vendors to operate on premise during this event. Adding another one would incur an additional $350 fee for the event organizers.

If the Libbys were told that up front I wouldn't have gotten all riled up over it.

Resume Normal [wink]

Sounds like it is time for some guerrilla marketing... have them park just outside the confines of the fairground, on the street. Maybe near the entrance!

Resume Normal [wink]

vacum pack the jerkey and market it as "survival rations" !!!

If that's the case (and we're only speculating here) then that's fine, I won't argue with it.
My gripe is more about the way the Smiths were snubbed by the NF officials.

I cannot argue with you there.

PS: Just saw your last post. You are absolutely correct.

I love the beef jerky guy and now that I know they have a website I see myself ordering a pound a month from this fine establishment.

Back
Top Bottom