• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Should I work on me or the gun first?

scatter

NES Member
Bone stock 10/22 with a cheap Weaver 9x scope. 90 yards. CCI lead standard velocity rounds. Prone. No wind.

I want to get better groups but I don't want to keep shooting up my stash if this is about as good as it gets with my setup and ammo, and I could get more improvement faster with a trigger or barrel or scope or something. What say you NES?

Yes I know I need to adjust the scope but I'm looking for consistency right now, not POA.

20161107_165029_zps6ddpkxom.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

90 yards? That's impressive grouping at 90 yards for sure. If you stay consistent like that bone stock, then like already mentioned I would try some decent match ammo first and see how that goes. Sky's the limit with the 10/22 though. Is that a stock tapered barrel or stock bull barrel? Just curious.

90 yards? That's impressive grouping at 90 yards for sure. If you stay consistent like that bone stock, then like already mentioned I would try some decent match ammo first and see how that goes. Sky's the limit with the 10/22 though. Is that a stock tapered barrel or stock bull barrel? Just curious.

Stock tapered I guess. I didn't intentionally buy a bull barrel. How would I tell?

That's really good. Try some match ammo to see if it tightens up. Maybe a match trigger too?

Thanks. I do have some match ammo (the green label CCI stuff) but I didn't want to just start throwing it down range if I wasn't getting near the limit of the gun/scope/me yet.

I can't imagine it gets any better than that with a stock semi 22 and that scope.
Even that is behind impressive. I can get about that with 4x12 scope on my savage 223 at 100 yards. And bolt action is supposed to be more accurate.

Pretty darn good.... Quite while your ahead. Don't touch anything!
IMHO I would say no wind conditions if you can do this constantly play with some different ammo. Just remember it may take a few rounds for the new ammo to "take" to the barrel.

I have a stock mid 80s 10/22 also that shoots better than others I shoot with. I played with take down screw tightness and 15inlbs seems to be the sweet spot for mine.

Although right now the way yours is shooting I would put a few thousand rounds down range and see just how well you can shoot before doing anything.

Last edited:
How fast were you shooting the group? Also, what about breath control? Do you hold your breath or are you breathing normally throughout the shot.

Holding my breath; breathed a couple of times during the ten round mag and then settled in again. Shooting slowly, maybe a round every 5 seconds.

Try some standard velocity ammo.
But be prepared to adjust for the added drop in height group wise.

Other than that check your rifle rest and rear stock bag support.

Make sure the barrel is clean as well.

Relax get proper sight picture.
Breath out and squeeze the trigger on the pause.

Last edited:
a stock 10/22 at 90 YARDS and target ammo? You're good. Dial in the scope as mentioned above, and MAYBE practice on your breathing a little.

I think with very few changes you'd shoot rifleman @ an Appleseed

He should be able to smoke the rifleman target... it's a 4moa target.

the few changes would be to zero the scope for ^ + >

honestly he would probably still splash onto the target even with those settings. The target he has I believe is pretty close to 4" outer circle ? hes shooting just under 1.5 moa at 100 yards. and only needs about 1 min of correction to get centered?

This is good shooting for CCI SV and stock 10/22 and inexpensive scopes... there as plenty out there that spend 1K plus on their 10/22s and struggle for MOA.

ammo is huge... find the ammo your gun likes and buy as much of that same lot number as possible. Doesn't always have to be expensive ammo either.

here is just a few examples shot from my 1942 Remington 513t with target sights prone with sling. 100 yards. 20 shots in each group. As the OP did I was shooting for groups not the center of the target. Aim poit was the center. Once I find the ammo I want to stick with for the next 3-5k rounds I will proper zero. you can see even just changing your ammo can change point of impact a lot.
top group is RWS rifle target

RWS rifle target 10$/50
eley target 8$/50
SK standard plus 6$/50

this gun runs well on wolf match extra and eley match also but my skills kind delete the overall gain. I also run this rifle at 200 yards and still like how it performs.
Aguilla super extra also does well and shoots sub 2 moa most days.

Last edited:
Leave the rifle alone man. I had a Rem700 VLS in .223 and out of the box this thing shot .25MOA, being as that I can't leave a good thing alone, I free floated the barrel, had the trigger worked, and the a few other things, but it never shot the same. Opened up to 3/4moa. I should be happy with it but I know what it was capable of. Any bullet between 40-60gr doing 2,800fps and seated 1.90 base to ogive would shoot lights out. It's still an accurate gun but I messed with it and the magic is gone.

Point is, that's a good group, and considering it's a stock 10/22, pushes it into the OMG don't touch anything category. Different ammo only for sh!ts and giggles is about all I would do.

Stock tapered I guess. I didn't intentionally buy a bull barrel. How would I tell?

The 10/22 comes in 2 different barrel configurations. Tapered or Bull. Tapered goes from full thickness at receiver end and tapers down toward the other or sight end to save some weight. Bull barrels are the same thickness from chamber to end. Bull barrels are typically found on "target" variety rifles or pistols are generally speaking they can be more accurate.

07-19-13-02-10-22-bull-barrel-with-standard-barrel.wdp.jpg

Look for a CMP clinic in the warmer weather - they'll turn you into a dead-eyed marksman!
https://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index....coming&filter=designation&filter_value=CLINIC

shooting 1.5 moa if he can put them in the X ring hes shooting high master scores(NRA) Distinguished expert (CMP)

I love shooting 22lr at distance.
here is 20 round prone match shot a while back. The 5 shots not included in the group are my sighters. This was a fun local match. the old guy with the 40x rifle whooped us good with a 200/200 18X !

Also shot a few 200 yard matches this year scored 195/200 198/200 and a windy day kicked my ass 180/200

Last edited:
Holding my breath; breathed a couple of times during the ten round mag and then settled in again. Shooting slowly, maybe a round every 5 seconds.

Unless you are working on rapid fire or a timed event, slow down. Treat every shot as an individual event. When it comes to breathing, take a breath, let half out, hold and make your shot.

Don't hold your breath just breath and work on squeezing off the round at the pause in your breathing.
Holding your breath is a controlled act and is just one more thing you need to do.
You will see this pause in the cross hairs or front sight.
Working on Natural point of aim and trigger control along with breathing will have its rewards.... also try focusing on the crosshairs like you do with front sight.
Before long you will start to really see your pulse through the cross hairs....

That's good shooting. If you're going to change anything at all, perhaps the glass.

As at least two other people have said, don't HOLD your breath; there's a natural pause in your breathing rhythm that comes after you exhale. If you squeeze the trigger during that pause, it's when your body is the most at rest. If you're not ready to shoot during that cycle, don't shoot, just keep breathing steadily and take the next pause, or the one after that, or the one after that....

No matter what I ever did, no matter the gun, the amount of practice, the ammo etc etc I was always, always about a half inch high and a half inch to the right. It was aggravating, frustrating, all the practice etc. Asked "experts", guys at the range offered advice, Navy Seal I shoot with suggested this, that, etc....Still the same... Practiced more and more... No matter what I did/tried, I was a little low and a little left. (just a "smidgen" as my late Dad would've said)...

Then one day I realized "Y'know what? To hell with it" and started aiming just a hair to the left and a hair lower...just ever so slightly...
Bingo. Bulls eye.
Maybe my friggin brain is just sitting low and to the left or something? .. I have no clue. But now, when I practice, both stationary and "tactical", plinking or serious whatever, I aim that half inch low and half inch left and people I know think I'm some sort of marksman or whatever.
Little do they know...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom