Should I re-blue or something else?

Pilgrims Pride

NES Member
I found an old .22 rifle that was very badly rusted on the exterior.
Spent days with oil and steel wool. But it wasn't improving much.
So I used naval jelly.
We all know what that did.
Now it needs to be refinished.
What would you do?

Personally, it depends on the wood that goes with it. Flat black paint goes a long way, but only if it "matches" the wood shade. Other factors would be is there any sentimental value to the rifle. Do go painting a family treasure. Or use it to learn how to blue.

If the bore is good there are two ways to go
1. Spray can of flat black or gray rustoleum, heck they even have textured paint that works cool.
2. Learn how to duracote the thing.
Either way you'll have fun and find your efforts gratifying to some degree

Bluing will not come out right unless you can get the steel polished up to a shiny smooth finish. It will look dull and show every imperfection. I woukd duracote or cerakote it. If you prep it right, maybe use a light coat of self etch primer, Wurth satin black auto trim paint can also hold up very well and has the right finish for a gun.

I did the same thing to a rusty 22 in the mid 90s. The pitting wasn't too bad so I sanded it smooth, washed it with dish soap then acetone, then a few applications of Birchwood Casey Super Blue. Today you wouldn't know it was ever stripped.

I've done a couple musket kits lately and learned that there is such a thing as too polished. Going to 600 grit doesn't leave anything for the finish to stick to and it will polish off with a scrubbing from a cotton rag. I also learned the gel stuff is impossible to get even and it leaves streaks, stick with the liquid.

Grit blast and get it parked or black oxide. Jack.
This would be my option if not afraid to spend some $$
i painted a old rusty 22 years ago , blasted it with 180ish grit aluminum oxide to help hide the minor pitting. Used 3m self etching primer and black high heat paint cured with a heat gun the best I could. Its held up well . Be careful as "regular" spray paint and build up pretty thick and result in part fitment issues.

Pics please

Back
Top Bottom