• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Should I move to RI or NH from MA (because of gun laws)

Just in case that wasn't sarcasm. VT went from one of the best in gun laws to the back of the pack in a year. Door is open, it is going to get a lot worse quickly. VT libtard's pride themselves on outlibtarding all the other states. Plus they'd get their 10k back in taxes pretty quick.
As per another thread, the newest push in VT will be for a 2 day waiting period (to start, of course). Not to mention the recent magazine ban.

Last edited:
I voted for NH. 2h(buffer) away from all my family. 1h25min from Boston. 30 min from Merrimack area. Closed in middle of Nov and already have my Federal paperwork in and the clock started.

I work remotely now so I could technically live where ever and I used to live in NC/SC and Florida but when I live in America I want to live near MA because most of my family lives around here. I have my FID/LTC in MA but which of those 2 states is better for me / closer to Boston? From what I can tell I can carry across into MA right? From google maps it seems Woonsocket is the closest for RI? I also read that Woonsocket is one of the worst cities in America so maybe I won't live there. Nashua?

Gun laws also take priority over distance if the distance is only like 10 minutes longer.

NH starting to look more and more like MA now. Did you move yet?

I lived in both NH and RI. Happy to answer any questions about either or both in comparison to each other. Totally different cultures, economies, and lifestyles. Each has trade-offs.

Are you a 2A Activist? If so, live in MA, preferably in Boston, Brookline, Cambridge or one of the other reddish towns, to help move the ball.

If not, matters not. We need people who will engage the public and public officials, instead of hanging around echo chambers.

LOL

Your life is shorter than you may think and wasting it in MA is a lost time which you will never get back again. OP should pack the entire clan and move out of New England. RI is a complete no-sense and NH is going to be MA North once development in Salem, NH, is completed.

LOL

Your life is shorter than you may think and wasting it in MA is a lost time which you will never get back again. OP should pack the entire clan and move out of New England. RI is a complete no-sense and NH is going to be MA North once development in Salem, NH, is completed.
Run, run away! THAT will make things better.

I'm down here in the east bay of RI, which isn't that bad. Taxes suck, so do the the politics but we've been able to turn the keep the stupid at bay. Where I live I'm an hour from Boston, right down Rt24 and getting a carry permit in my town is quite easy. We have great beaches, surfing and fishing.
Last week, I cross country skied on my way to go surfing:

Howdy, neighbor! We have a home in Portsmouth right down the road from Second Beach, that we hope to be moving to full time in the next year or two. We love it there. Would you happen to know how easy it is in Portsmouth to get a permit? I'm thinking of trying to get a non-resident permit for the time being so that I can transport guns back and forth between there and our home in MA, and hopefully join a gun club there on the island. I already have a blue card, but I'm not sure if that really helps me at all, as a long as my permanent address is still in MA.

Frank

Rhode Island is seeing some pushback:
ProvidenceJournal said:
A gun-rights wave is swelling on R.I.‘s western front: 6 communities are considering or have passed ‘Second Amendment sanctuary’ status.

It isn’t on the scale of revolutionaries burning a British tax ship, or even West Warwick’s secession from Warwick a century ago. But dissension is brewing in western Rhode Island over gun rights and the region’s resentment of Smith Hill urbanites.

Following the lead of jurisdictions in eight other states, a handful of Rhode Island’s rural communities are considering declaring themselves Second Amendment sanctuary communities — places where the constitutional right to bear arms won’t be infringed no matter what state lawmakers pass this session.

If you want to stay in New England then Maine might resist the liberals a little longer than New Hampshire. Where ever you go, you must get a Ma non resident license to carry here because Ma doesn't recognize anyone else's license. That license must be renewed annually and is at the discretion of the state police.

If you're comfortable with and skilled at the practice of greasing palms, RI all the way. It's the Mexico of New England.

I'm going to caveat this some.

If someone were to leave Mass (or CT) for RI as a 2A supporter, for whatever reason such as having a job in say Uxbridge or Worcester or Fall River or Seekonk, there are towns out in the western and southern part of the state that are largely clean and I would argue better than NH. If you live in West Greenwich or Exeter or Hopkinton or Burrillville, you're largely fine. Newport County is also an option and while Aquidneck Island is pricey, Tiverton is a solidly pro-2A town and inexpensive. Little Compton is very expensive but would be a great place to live.

I've read two books about RI political corruption and the first is "Scoundrels" by Paul Caranci of North Providence:

Scoundrels

In Scoundrels, Caranci states that RI has lower corruption prosecution and arrest rates (including by the Feds) than other states like Mass, IL, TX, etc. With RI, the state is so small and everyone talks to each other so what corruption there is becomes more newsworthy and talked-about. RI's towns historically are more than just bedroom communities (looking at you, southern NH) and are very close-knit. So when a member of the town council uses his influence to get his half-witted brother hired to the town transportation department, everyone's going to talk about it.

The areas I would suggest a 2A supporter to move to, unless you have to live in a city, are generally absent of overt corruption. Small, indirect forms of corruption are present everywhere and in many different contexts as Caranci states in his book. NH is no different.

New Hampshire gets D- grade in 2015 State Integrity Investigation – Center for Public Integrity

Gill defamation case goes to NH Supreme Court

New Hampshire Has a Confidential List of Officers With Credibility Problems

New Hampshire’s impeachment crisis of 2000 - NH Business Review

Twelve Years Ago in New Hampshire Judicial Branch Corruption …

Rochester loses Supreme Court fight on housing park

Supreme Court hears Rochester housing park case, again

Those last two links are about Rochester suing its own zoning board and a husband-and-wife pair of developers. I found an article last summer about how the developments were filthy and unmaintained and falling apart but I can't find it now. NH has its fair share of corrupt sh*thole cities, just like everywhere else. Just in RI, people know better before moving there. People outside NH largely aren't aware of how crappy places like Rochester, Laconia, Franklin, Manchester, Nashua, and Berlin are.

OP's post is originally from last year so I doubt he's seriously considering this thread still. Like I said, I'd be glad to explain the pros and cons of each state if someone has a realistic question about both RI and NH. Both states have their ups and downs and each person has their own individual needs in life.

Howdy, neighbor! We have a home in Portsmouth right down the road from Second Beach, that we hope to be moving to full time in the next year or two. We love it there. Would you happen to know how easy it is in Portsmouth to get a permit? I'm thinking of trying to get a non-resident permit for the time being so that I can transport guns back and forth between there and our home in MA, and hopefully join a gun club there on the island. I already have a blue card, but I'm not sure if that really helps me at all, as a long as my permanent address is still in MA.
Frank
Portsmouth issues permits, check out the state law, RI 11-47-11. There really isn't a resident/non resident permit it's just a permit: http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/Statutes/TITLE11/11-47/11-47-11.HTM
As for the application, all you have to do is ask the PD

Cheers, Mike

If you're moving "only cuz gun laws" you're doing it wrong. Find someplace that results in a multiple-front-win. Further, if pressured, gun laws can be
ignored or bypassed in a lot of cases. A lot of other things cannot, taxation, overall quality of living, job prospects, local climate, crime rates, institutional corruption in local government (or lack thereof) etc.

As an MA resident I'm more pissed off at the fact that moonbats run everything here- to the extent that non moonbats are almost completely disenfranchised at the polls, with gallons of corruption and set cash on fire while doing it. The gun laws are terrible but relative to the other problems with this state, are merely an annoyance.

-Mike

If you're moving "only cuz gun laws" you're doing it wrong. Find someplace that results in a multiple-front-win. Further, if pressured, gun laws can be
ignored or bypassed in a lot of cases. A lot of other things cannot, taxation, overall quality of living, job prospects, local climate, crime rates, institutional corruption in local government (or lack thereof) etc.

As an MA resident I'm more pissed off at the fact that moonbats run everything here- to the extent that non moonbats are almost completely disenfranchised at the polls, with gallons of corruption and set cash on fire while doing it. The gun laws are terrible but relative to the other problems with this state, are merely an annoyance.

-Mike

Gun laws should be one (major) factor in moving. More important stuff includes taxes, the local economy, job availability in someone's field (or educational options for young people), and dangers (New England is a pretty safe place re: natural disasters and violent crime in comparison to Tornado Alley or FL or CA or the southern border).

Gun laws should be one (major) factor in moving.
I moved to New Hampshire for tax purposes, the positive prognosis for gun laws was just one of many other factors influencing my choice.

I had a spreadsheet of counties in low-tax states, ranking everything from the cost of shipping, airport access, water issues (drought, flooding), etc, and broadband availability (I can work from anywhere if Internet is reliable and reasonably fast).

How's the property taxes compare between RI vs southern NH in the suburban and rural/country areas outside the big cities?

And what's the % annual increase lookin like on a $350kish home? Are there "real" limits not the prop 2.5 joke in MA.

What kind of property acreage and home does 350k get you between the two areas?

I see NHerites posting about their backyard shooting range, how about in certain areas in RI?

How's the property taxes compare between RI vs southern NH in the suburban and rural/country areas outside the big cities?

And what's the % annual increase lookin like on a $350kish home? Are there "real" limits not the prop 2.5 joke in MA.

What kind of property acreage and home does 350k get you between the two areas?

I see NHerites posting about their backyard shooting range, how about in certain areas in RI?

1) Here's the RI 2018 tax rates per municipality:

http://www.municipalfinance.ri.gov/documents/data/taxrates/2018-Tax-Rates-12-31-17-FINAL.pdf

2) Beyond my knowledge

3) Depends on which town in RI you want to live in. $350k can buy you a condo in Providence or an entry level house in Newport, a triple decker in CF, Pawtucket, and Woonsocket, or an above average house in western RI. Use Zillow to examine properties and filter by vacant land, developed houses, etc. In western RI, $100k buys about 5 acres of undeveloped land

4) Most people in RI who shoot are members of clubs due to the large number of clubs and, coincidentally, the clubs organize 2A activism. Building a backyard range in RI could probably be done as long as a new buyer smooths things over with the neighbors first. I wouldn't expect to buy a 5-acre lot and then open fire all weekend undisturbed without first asking around

Employers are desperate for new employees in NH. Second-lowest unemployment rate in the country. Anyone in NH who wants a job, has one. Anyone who wants to work, has more than one job.

That's not true at all. Tech jobs aren't great in nh right now. I'm itching for one to avoid state income tax

Back
Top Bottom