Should I move to RI or NH from MA (because of gun laws)

I work remotely now so I could technically live where ever and I used to live in NC/SC and Florida but when I live in America I want to live near MA because most of my family lives around here. I have my FID/LTC in MA but which of those 2 states is better for me / closer to Boston? From what I can tell I can carry across into MA right? From google maps it seems Woonsocket is the closest for RI? I also read that Woonsocket is one of the worst cities in America so maybe I won't live there. Nashua?

Gun laws also take priority over distance if the distance is only like 10 minutes longer.

I grew up is Nashua and left in the late 80’s. It was nice then, but it has gone far down hill since. I would look at more rural towns.

I lived in RI for 20ish years and escaped about 4 years ago. It is a liberal cesspool of stupidity and corruption.

I don’t think NH is a long term solution as ma**h***s will destroy it. I expect it to last less than 20 years. Just my guess.

No. Really. Stay. It will be Glorious!

When you work remotely, then working from New Hampshire is like getting a ~5% pay raise.
I have my FID/LTC in MA but which of those 2 states is better for me / closer to Boston?
I was living in or commuting between NH and RI for about two years; I would not want to go back -- not just for "gun rights", but overall tax burden, QOL, weather, COL,etc.

New Hampshire is regularly ranked as one of the least corrupt states in the union, while Rhode Island has a long history of government corruption (when I lived in RI Buddy Cianci was my neighbor), but has improved somewhat.

If gun laws are a priority, NH wins by a country mile over RI. In fact, NH is arguably the very best in the entire country when it comes to gun laws.
I wouldn't go so far as the entire country, but arguably the very best in all of New England.

Thanks for replying so quickly. Is it legal to conceal carry from NH to MA? If I have the MA FID/LTC
New Hampshire doesn't care about your MA FID/LTC. Means nothing here, we are constitutional carry.

Last edited:
Anybody waving the NH freedom flag cures all is blind or a fool.

I’ll be blackballed for that truthful statement but so be it. Might not be in 18 but my money is on in 20.

Anybody waving the NH freedom flag cures all is blind or a fool.
I’ll be blackballed for that truthful statement but so be it. Might not be in 18 but my money is on in 20.

Yeah, we're sliding down the slippery slope here...
  • 2003 - HB415 statewide firearms law preemption (§159:26)
  • 2004 - HB 1309 Range protection amendment to §159-B
  • 2010 - Knife law preemption added to §159:26
  • 2011 - HB291 passes without Gov. Lynch's signature. Fireworks laws relaxed, repealing §160-B:16-a
  • 2011 - SB88 Expanded Castle Doctrine (Veto Override)
  • 2012 - HB1551 Landowner Liability protection
  • 2013 - Court case NH v Dor (Definition of "loaded")
  • 2015 - As additional states expand their reciprocity acceptance, NH resident P&R covers 25 states
  • 2016 - [thread=310850]Non-resident P&R administrative rules overturned[/thread].
  • 2016 - HB500 Suppressor Hunting
  • 2017 - SB3 amends RSA 654:2 to clarify domicile, (a start towards vote fraud prevention)
  • 2017 - Governor Sununu signs SB12, establishing constitutional carry. P&R now optional, "suitability" is removed from the law.
  • 2017 - SB 23 relaxes fireworks laws, repeal of RSA 160-B:16-b
  • 2018 - HB 1313 continues the work started by SB116, loaded firearms on an OHRV or snowmobile (Pending Senate vote, will repeal §215-A:20, 215-C:35)
  • 2018 - Martha Hennessey's attempt to amend SB357 to tack on GFSZ is blocked

Read my sig -- None of the above is a claim that NH can't swing the other way, or is perfect, or immune to new restrictive national laws. I'm just pointing out the legislative changes over the past 15 years.

Last edited:
I say this as a property owner in NH and a hopeful transplant when my sentence is up in MA....but blinders off.....

Democrat Governor Hassan until she went to the Senate
Democrat Senator Hassan elected in '16
Democrat Senator Shaheen RE-ELECTED in '14 for second term
Democrat Congressman Porter elected in '16
Democrat Congressman Custer elected in '12, '14, '16
Democrat Barack Obama won NH in 2008
Democrat Barack Obama won NH in 2012
Shrillary won NH in 2016...so maybe those same-day voters with MA plates should be watched more carefully

That said, RI is worse.

Last edited:
I say this as a property owner in NH and a hopeful transplant when my sentence is up in MA....but blinders off.....
<Whole bunch of NATIONAL races deleted>
That said, RI is worse.
All politics is local, and NH voters tend to be more fiscally conservative when it comes to town, state politics than worrying about Washington.

Or maybe it's just easier to get away with vote fraud on the national races (by busing folk up from MA to Hanover and Manchester where they can blend in) than it is to try to swing local elections, especially as just about every office in NH is up for reelection every two years.

Last edited:
All politics is local, and NH voters tend to be more fiscally conservative when it comes to town, state politics than worrying about Washington.

Or maybe it's just easier to get away with vote fraud on the national races (by busing folk up from MA to Hanover and Manchester where they can blend in) than it is to try to swing local elections, especially as just about ever office in NH is up for reelection every two years.

How local are they going to be when the Shaheen and that libtwat Hassan vote for the next SCOTUS justice when RBG finally kicks it? Or Kennedy retires, or Thomas goes on a hunting trip to the same place Scalia went?

Kevin_NH said:
All politics is local
How local are they going to be when the Shaheen and that libtwat Hassan vote for the next SCOTUS justice when RBG finally kicks it? Or Kennedy retires, or Thomas goes on a hunting trip to the same place Scalia went?
That's a bit off-topic for this thread -- nowhere in the US is a safe haven against the Feds.

Even the wackadoodle states like Kansas and Idaho where they've passed some variation on the Firearms Freedom Act (aka 2A Preservation Act, or more accurately Commerce clause? I don't see no commerce clause.) aren't going to blockade BATFE at the state line when push comes to shove.

Last edited:
RI is worse than MA in some instances. Sure, you can buy a Glock, whoooopeee - you can’t take it anywhere because it’s much more difficult to get an LTC in most towns. They’re going to ban AR15s soon, no doubt. Seriously, was that a trick question?

Last edited:
Yeah, we're sliding down the slippery slope here...
  • 2003 - HB415 statewide firearms law preemption (§159:26)
  • 2004 - HB 1309 Range protection amendment to §159-B
  • 2010 - Knife law preemption added to §159:26
  • 2011 - HB291 passes without Gov. Lynch's signature. Fireworks laws relaxed, repealing §160-B:16-a
  • 2011 - SB88 Expanded Castle Doctrine (Veto Override)
  • 2012 - HB1551 Landowner Liability protection
  • 2013 - Court case NH v Dor (Definition of "loaded")
  • 2015 - As additional states expand their reciprocity acceptance, NH resident P&R covers 25 states
  • 2016 - [thread=310850]Non-resident P&R administrative rules overturned[/thread].
  • 2016 - HB500 Suppressor Hunting
  • 2017 - SB3 amends RSA 654:2 to clarify domicile, (a start towards vote fraud prevention)
  • 2017 - Governor Sununu signs SB12, establishing constitutional carry. P&R now optional, "suitability" is removed from the law.
  • 2017 - SB 23 relaxes fireworks laws, repeal of RSA 160-B:16-b
  • 2018 - HB 1313 continues the work started by SB116, loaded firearms on an OHRV or snowmobile (Pending Senate vote, will repeal §215-A:20, 215-C:35)
  • 2018 - Martha Hennessey's attempt to amend SB357 to tack on GFSZ is blocked

Read my sig -- None of the above is a claim that NH can't swing the other way, or is perfect, or immune to new restrictive national laws. I'm just pointing out the legislative changes over the past 15 years.

All I can say is enjoy it while you can.

I'm down here in the east bay of RI, which isn't that bad. Taxes suck, so do the the politics but we've been able to turn the keep the stupid at bay. Where I live I'm an hour from Boston, right down Rt24 and getting a carry permit in my town is quite easy. We have great beaches, surfing and fishing.
Last week, I cross country skied on my way to go surfing:

Attachments

• 2nd beach.jpg
    2nd beach.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 38
If gun laws are a priority, NH wins by a country mile over RI. In fact, NH is arguably the very best in the entire country when it comes to gun laws.

Curious why NH is "best in Khazakstan." Missouri? Alaska? I would argue the best in the Northeast. But the whole country is a BOLD statement. I'm more curious than anything. And no, I ain't moving to Alaska. Goshno!

Curious why NH is "best in Khazakstan." Missouri? Alaska? I would argue the best in the Northeast. But the whole country is a BOLD statement. I'm more curious than anything. And no, I ain't moving to Alaska. Goshno!
Depends on what facets of the law matter the most to you. His criteria:
Constitutional carry, no binding signage, no alcohol-related gun laws, no mag restrictions, etc. It's as good as it gets, imho.
I'd add "In what locations is carry prohibited by state law?" to that list.

Texas, Alaska and Missouri all have more banned locations than New Hampshire, binding signage, and alcohol-related restrictions.

Back
Top Bottom