Should I just wait to get my permit

So I w as wondering if it would be sensible to buy a holster and belt while I wait for my LTC, or should I wait in case it's restricted. I can't see any reason why it would be but it seems from reading thatf you never really know for sure, also been looking at guns and I'm torn between Springfield armory xds 9mm or the M&P 9mm, thoughts?

So I w as wondering if it would be sensible to buy a holster and belt while I wait for my LTC, or should I wait in case it's restricted. I can't see any reason why it would be but it seems from reading thatf you never really know for sure, also been looking at guns and I'm torn between Springfield armory xds 9mm or the M&P 9mm, thoughts?

Northbridge
Well if you get a restricted LTC you won't be alone. One other person got a restricted LTC in Northbridge in the last 5 years.

Get the belt. That can be used anytime. Don't buy a holster for a gun you don't own yet. Find out if you like the gun first.

This. You don't even know what gun you want, how can you possibly buy a holster?

A quality gunbelt is an excellent investment no matter what. I wear mine even when I'm not carrying IWB, or when pocket carrying. Get a Hanks or Amerihide. Both are excellent.

I don't think you need to rush and buy something before you even get your LTC. You can certainly start your research and keep a list of things you might be interested in. As for the gun recommendation... I carried a Shield for a while until I switched to a Glock 43. I enjoyed the Shield but wanted a Glock and ended up sticking with the G43. Get to a range where you can rent some different pistols and see what you like, what fits your hand the best, what you can shoot better with, etc. Everyone is different. Have fun and good luck with the process [mg]

I would say do some research, maybe go and rent somewhere that will let unlicensed people (with safety cert) rent, and figure out generally what you like. Then when you know what you want to get for a gun (and buy it) you will be in good shape to figure a holster.

Keep in mind frequently you may end up with more than one gun or more than one holster for that gun. Its a process and your taste, along with what is available can evolve over time.

Also as others said, a good belt is never a poor investment. I used to wreck belts wearing them for a year or two, when I started wearing a carry belt they last much longer because they are a quality item rather than a cheapo department store belt that starts to look bad after a couple months of use.

^ listen to those two. Do research, try out a few. You'll probably go through several guns before finding one you can carry and conceal in comfort.

I guess I'm just antsy to start loading up lol. I've been researching options. Belts are first on the list but I'm not the greatest online shopper. I have a few I'm gonna try out, I've wanted to do this for a long time so I'm just impatient I guess, thanks for the options,

I guess I'm just antsy to start loading up lol. I've been researching options. Belts are first on the list but I'm not the greatest online shopper. I have a few I'm gonna try out, I've wanted to do this for a long time so I'm just impatient I guess, thanks for the options,

I get it buddy, I have been there multiple times. I also see it a bunch with people starting off in shotgun shooting and buying something that doesn't fit them well. In the nicest possible way, half the time when you are buying your first gun you make a poorly informed choice. How do you buy your first of something and not screw it up a bit? It is really easy to get full info on other people's opinions and then find out that you totally suppressed your own taste.

If you are that antsy start planning out what you are going to buy and put it in a sheet with the price, source, etc. Just buy it in your mind. Its written down. Its settled. Just have to "close" the transaction once its time.

Just beware that as things progress you start working harder and harder to get that excitement of buying a new gun. It starts with just buying one, then you need a different type (caliber, shotgun v. handgun v. rifle, carry v. range), then you can't settle for something that every other guy (or gal) has in their safe so you look for used classics or something custom.

All good advice above. I remember that feeling of impatience while waiting for my first license to arrive. The whole process is an adventure. Treat it as fun and learning. There are no mistakes, only positive learning experiences as you learn to know what you like and dislike. Many have strong opinions about this stuff and part of the fun, at least for me, is figuring out for what works for you. Best wishes on your journey.

Welcome to the fold and to NES! Send me a PM with your contact info and I will send you 2 new XDS holsters (L-gat slide) and an alpha concealment owb) that are sitting in a bin in my basement. The XDS was sent to a family member on the west coast for carry after a laser was added and won't be making the trip back. I was going to karma them off in a few weeks, but a new member, getting a new permit, with the intent of carrying is the best kind of karma winner. I'd ask that if you end up not getting an XDS, put them up in the karma section here and pass them along.

Well eventually I'm sure I'll acquire a Glock and possibly a HK. Going for affordability for now lol

The worst thing you can do is have an idea in your head what you want to buy. It's like walking into a car lot knowing you want to buy a Ford Pinto before ever driving one just because it looks cool (it doesn't).

Try different guns of different sizes, like a Glock 43, 26, 19, & 17. Then buy the 26.

j/k (well kind of)

Back
Top Bottom