• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Should I apply to register my Pre Ban Mac 11 as a SBR?

I've been debating this choice to myself for quite some time but before I make a decision I have a few questions I'm hoping a legal expert or someone with experience in this can chime in

1. If I were to file a form 1 to make my MAC 11 a SBR it's perfectly legal for me to leave it fully assembled in its pistol configuration and bring it to the range until I get my stamped form back?

2.Once I make it a rifle it can't ever legally be a pistol again right?

3.final question where it's a pre ban pistol lower when I make it a SBR it will still be considered pre ban and I can put a folding stock on it? Or will it be considered a newly manufactured rifle and be subjected to the AWB?

1. correct.
2. not right. You can have items removed from the registry, its really as simple as writing a letter to NFA branch explaining how the item is no longer an NFA device, they ussually send you back a confirmation letter that your item has been removed from NFA (you do NOT get your $200 back).
3. it remains "pre ban", you can keep/add as many evil features as you want.

4. you didn't ask, but now a little "opinion time"... If it is really what you want to do go for it, but I wouldn't waste $200 to SBR a MAC psitol. I've owned MAC SMG's as well as their pistol cousins. Stocks on MAC SMG's allow a "bullet hose" to become somewhat effective, you aren't fighting the same "controlability" with a MAC pistol. There are lots of pistols out there that benefit from SBR-ing, MAC's aren't really one of them...

1. correct.
2. not right. You can have items removed from the registry, its really as simple as writing a letter to NFA branch explaining how the item is no longer an NFA device, they ussually send you back a confirmation letter that your item has been removed from NFA (you do NOT get your $200 back).
3. it remains "pre ban", you can keep/add as many evil features as you want.

4. you didn't ask, but now a little "opinion time"... If it is really what you want to do go for it, but I wouldn't waste $200 to SBR a MAC psitol. I've owned MAC SMG's as well as their pistol cousins. Stocks on MAC SMG's allow a "bullet hose" to become somewhat effective, you aren't fighting the same "controlability" with a MAC pistol. There are lots of pistols out there that benefit from SBR-ing, MAC's aren't really one of them...

what about requirement as far as just MA law not federal

will I have to file an Efa 10 online registering it as a rifle instead of a pistol like it currently is?

also I understand you can have items removed from he NFA registry but isn't there a law in MA that you can convert a pistol into a rifle but it's illegal to convert a rifle into a pistol? I thought that's why those rifle uppers for glocks arnt MA legal.

also I understand you can have items removed from he NFA registry but isn't there a law in MA that you can convert a pistol into a rifle but it's illegal to convert a rifle into a pistol? I thought that's why those rifle uppers for glocks arnt MA legal.

There's nothing like this in MA law. Federal law is that something that began life as a rifle cannot be converted into a pistol. However, something that began life as a pistol can be converted into a rifle and back into a pistol however many times you want.

The relevant ATF determination letter can be read here: https://www.atf.gov/file/55526/download

And rifle uppers for Glocks are perfectly legal in MA, as long as the resulting rifle is AWB legal.

There's nothing like this in MA law. Federal law is that something that began life as a rifle cannot be converted into a pistol. However, something that began life as a pistol can be converted into a rifle and back into a pistol however many times you want.

The relevant ATF determination letter can be read here: https://www.atf.gov/file/55526/download

And rifle uppers for Glocks are perfectly legal in MA, as long as the resulting rifle is AWB legal.

Must've got some bad info on that then. What about filing an EFA 10 after the conversion? Is that required?

Back
Top Bottom