• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shotguns for Leftys

I find most O/U shotguns are tricky to operate as a lefty. If the break lever only swings to the right it takes some getting used to. I have no problem with Semi's and pumps however, I did put a left safety on my Ithaca 37.

If your sold on a pump, there are only a few Port side shotguns made:
Remington 870
Browning - Bottom load and bottom eject.
Ithaca - Bottom load and bottom eject.

I'm a true lefty. Left eye dominate. From that point I'm pretty ambidex on. I spent my entire youth fighting the right sided people. My dad "your on the wrong side of the gun there son"
Only gun I ever shot that brass hits my head shooting lefty is a M1 Carbine.
The left eject 870 sucked.
Few things to consider. Rifles or shotguns with the safety located behind the trigger(870 for example) can be a pain and activated by your trigger finger shooting left handed.
You need to find shotguns with neutral stocks or straight.
Or you can do what I did....I grew tired of crappy fit for lefties got one of these

http://www.precisionfitstocks.com/

If you even notice the shell ejecting your missing your target.
Eyes should be on target or front sight if shooting slugs or sabots with rifle sights

You're gonna want an O/U anyway for shooting skeet or trap. I'm a lefty and use a standard (right-handed) O/U. The key is to make sure that you get one with a neutral cast or cast-on. or a stock with adjustable comb.

You're gonna want an O/U anyway for shooting skeet or trap. I'm a lefty and use a standard (right-handed) O/U. The key is to make sure that you get one with a neutral cast or cast-on. or a stock with adjustable comb.

Not everyone does. I shoot an auto - I like the recoil attenuation. My A5 is set for heavy loads, and generally won't eject the empty - almost no felt recoil. My kid uses an 870 (or 1100 as the fit takes him) and does reasonably well [laugh].

The important thing is to try as many different guns as you can. That's the only way to find the one that will fit you, physically and mentally. Don't get hung up on a right-eject, as it may not be an issue.

try and try before you buy

Lefty 1100s? Do you remember where? Always wanted to pick one up, saw one and passed, went back and it was gone.

It seems to me when I was looking for one the lefties were showing up all over the place. I know Alstead Gun Shop in NH had at least one, maybe 2, but this was a little over a year ago. ETA I just called them and they don't have it any more. I was so excited when I saw the profile on the other side of th rack from across the room. Walked over and snatched it. Then realized something was oh-so-very-wrong.[laugh] Hmmm... I want to say Riverview sales *May* have had one. And another shop out by Amherst had one (so I was told over the phone, but I've never been there, so I cant say for sure, and cant remember what shop it was) All in all, I'd say through my calling every shop around here (Western Mass, NH & CT) I ran across at LEAST 5 of them. All the right handed versions were slug guns, and I wanted a 28" interchangeable choke barrel. The lefties were all 26-28" bbls, but the whole shells in the face thing was a bit of a turn-off for me. [laugh]

Last edited:
Lefty 1100s? Do you remember where? Always wanted to pick one up, saw one and passed, went back and it was gone.

They are all fixed choke models. You can send the barrel to briley's and have thin wall chokes installed.

I'm a lefty and if I shoot a right handed semi I end up with a bunch of unburnt powder and crap all over my cheek and shooting glasses. I have a left hand ejecting Benelli but prefer over/unders.

I find most O/U shotguns are tricky to operate as a lefty. If the break lever only swings to the right it takes some getting used to. I have no problem with Semi's and pumps however, I did put a left safety on my Ithaca 37.

I'm a lefty and shoot a Lamber O/U,no issues what so ever.

I'm right handed but left eye dominate. For slugs I shoot a Browning BPS. I've shot thousands of rounds on the trap range and hunt birds in the fall with my Beretta 391 Teknys. I never got hit or was ever burned by it before placing a shell catcher on it.

For a pump, I prefer my Mossbergs. With the safety top center of the receiver I don't have an issue like I do on 870 style guns. I also shoot lefty, but try to practice righty, more for tacticool reasons.

I am a lefty and so are a few of the competitors I shoot with,,,,I shoot a Krieghoff K80 with adj comb,,that seems to be the first choice among left handed shooters that are serious,,one guy has a 687 SP5 with adj comb

Been shooting a 391 for over 10 years. Left eye dominant and shoot shotgun (and rifle) left handed. Many thousands of rounds without an issue of powder or shells. Just my 2 cents

Back
Top Bottom