• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shotgun under $500 for deer.

Hi guys,

I will be a new deer hunter this fall. I'm looking for a shotgun, rifled, under $500 new (may buy used), and with wood furniture. Pump or semi is fine.
Any recommendations?

Thanks

Those both look real nice.

I like bolt action rifles. I had no idea 1MOA @ 200 was even possible with a shotgun.

Just browse the used rack at your lgs. I'd look for A5s or their copies, buy that's just my taste. My smoothbores do fine to 75 yards with sluggers.
I like old shotguns more, they do fine and have more character.

870 along with a rifled barrel I bought off here. No problems consistently hitting a paper plate at 100yds.

For the most part hunting in MA you don't get to many open area distance shots.
All but a few of the hunters in my circle growing up ( I have not actively hunted in 15+ years) used buck shot and I would say most deer where taken at 50 yards or less.

Just consider this if your going to buy a full rifled barrel remember you need to shoot the correct ammo.
Shooting the berneke style or foster style slugs are a waste of time and money in a rifled barrel.

The savage bolt shotty is very good. My friends son has proved its accuracy. Put a 5 shot group at 200 yards at 4.3" with 3 shots about 1/2" apart. Used hornady 20g SST. With the savage 20g bolt gun and a leupold shotgun scope. Shot supported from the bench He has shot some impressive groups at 100 with several different brands although he seems to do best with hornady and some other brand I can't think of blackmagic ?
I know he was complaining about the cost of the other sabot ammo?

Each gun smooth or rifles will have ammo it likes.
My 870 will shoot remington sluggers out to 50 yards to about 4" group
or MOD.
My Winchester 1400 prefers federal and shoots a tad better at 50 yards.
Most of my time in the field we used buck shot. Thick brush and about 30 yards of visual distance.
Good luck

It's $499 at dicks and it's a sweet setup.
View attachment 173364

You can also get a used wingmaster and buy a barrel for about the same amount. (I got a '63 wingmaster for $250 on Wednesday)

Just throwing out an alternative that gets to the same general thing. (Only can do 2 3/4" shells but also head and shoulders above an express made today)

any serviceable 12 or 20 GA will work. i have an Ithaca 37 featherweight pump from the 70's that was chopped down to 18.5" for home defense, kicks like hell but is plenty accurate with slugs at 100 yds to take a deer. you don't even need a rifled barrel, don't overthink it, deer are not tough skinned, get some trigger time, don't go crazy, eat some venison. its about that simple.

Last edited:
My old mossburg 500 is basic, smooth as glass and does the job.
the new ones cycle like they are full of sand. Find and old one .

My solution a few years back was to go up to Kittery Trading Post. Bought the 870 express combo with 26" VR barrel and rifled deer barrel, USED. It's very accurate with the Remington Premier Accutip sabot slugs out of the rifled barrel. The 2 3/4 do just fine. The 3" just has more recoil but no better ballistics (functionally).

This gun does triple duty, as I got a (Mossberg) 18.5" smoothbore home defense barrel. Lots of fun shooting buckshot out of that thing.

www.ktpguns.com

Last edited:
The big shops like Cabelas and Bass Pro should be having their fall sales in the near future.

Bass Pro has some good deals on 870's but I still rock my Mossberg 500 with rifled barrel. The Savage 220 is a really nice gun, but I don't like it for deer hunting if your on the move.

Back
Top Bottom