• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shotgun training

Hey guys I had a quick question. I was thinking about trying some multigun/3 gun competitions so I bought a stoeger m3k shotgun. Every range I find or come across only allow slugs to be shot unless shooting trap. So how and where does everyone train/practice with a shotgun? I would go broke and hurtin if I only practiced with slugs at $1 per round. I was thinking maybe try trap even though I know it's not the ideal trap gun. I just want to get some trigger time with this firearm.

You'll spend more time reloading a shotgun than actually shooting it in 3G. So just practice that at home...or find a range that does allow it

Hey guys I had a quick question. I was thinking about trying some multigun/3 gun competitions so I bought a stoeger m3k shotgun. Every range I find or come across only allow slugs to be shot unless shooting trap. So how and where does everyone train/practice with a shotgun? I would go broke and hurtin if I only practiced with slugs at $1 per round. I was thinking maybe try trap even though I know it's not the ideal trap gun. I just want to get some trigger time with this firearm.

What kind of ammo does one use for 3 gun competitions? If it is #7.5/#8 then just shoot some trap and that should give you some trigger time. At a minimum it will give you plenty of practice mounting and shooting.

(I know nothing about 3 guy but trap is fun, and plenty of people shoot trap with regular field guns so "ideal" isn't a problem)

Between that and hitting the patterning board you should be able to get a good idea of how your gun handles.

Last edited:
My club doesn't restrict what you can shoot out of your shotgun, they just restrict what you can shoot at club-owned target stands. I would just bring old pizza boxes and 1"x3"s and set up my own targets.

This is outdoor - our indoor ranges do not allow shotguns at all.

What kind of ammo does one use for 3 gun competitions? If it is #7.5/#8 then just shoot some trap and that should give you some trigger time. At a minimum it will give you plenty of practice mounting and shooting.

(I know nothing about 3 guy but trap is fun, and plenty of people shoot trap with regular field guns so "ideal" isn't a problem)

Between that and hitting the patterning board you should be able to get a good idea of how your gun handles.

Trap and 3 Gun are nothing alike

May or may not help you. I took the Defensive shotgun course at MFS. Gave me a good handle on my scattergun. It was 75rds of buckshot. Might be worth it just to get used to your rig, reloading and handling. After that I just ordered a set of dummy rounds and run reloading drills around my apartment.

The last indoor range I visited seemed to allow slugs and 00 buckshot, no birdshot though. I think it has to do with the ricochet produced by birdshot. AFS in North Attleborough.

As a side note, I found it to be a pretty nice indoor range if that's what you're looking for. Only negatives I have heard about it is the fact that you can't rent guns if you are alone unless you bring one of your own. I think it has to do with the fact that a few people who didn't own a gun had showed up, rented one, and committed suicide inside the range [sad]

Last edited:
Trap isn't going to teach you anything about 3 gun. I suggest finding a range that doesn't restrict your ammo as much and training there.

I was thinking maybe try trap even though I know it's not the ideal trap gun.
Don't let the double-barrel FUDDery keep you from enjoying trap, skeet, sporting clays, or five stand. It's always fun to beat the old guys with an el-cheapo pump gun [wink]

Back
Top Bottom