• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shotgun toe-resters...ouch!

Fudds doing fudd shit, nothing to see here. An incredible percentage of skeet shooters are seriously unsafe. I'm sure trap is the same but that's too fuddy even for me so I don't bother with it.

Edit: why in the world don't shooters use slings? It's sooo nice to have one when I'm out on the skeet field.

I only do this when my action is broken open... but it's probably not a good habit either way. Thanks for reminding us.

Safety is no accident.

Does anyone manufacture some type of puck to rest the muzzle on? Seems like a better idea, although a ND straight down is probably still a hazard.

I wouldn't fret the safety of a foot rest with a break action open and empty chambers especially when surrounded by trap shooters that
routinely close their guns with the barrel pointed at people's head just before they rack it . . .
. . . or struggle with their trigger locks
. . . or snap caps

I wouldn't fret the safety of a foot rest with a break action open and empty chambers especially when surrounded by trap shooters that
routinely close their guns with the barrel pointed at people's head just before they rack it . . .
. . . or struggle with their trigger locks
. . . or snap caps
Nowhere have I been muzzled as much as on a skeet/trap field. It's crazy how many of those Fudds think it's perfectly fine to point a gun at me because "it's unloaded".

An incredible percentage of skeet shooters are seriously unsafe.

I've noticed this too - not an indictment of trap/skeet guys as a whole (many are very safe, great shooters, very talented) - only that it seems that particular shooting sport tends to attract people who are casual, careless, ignorant, or otherwise just plain unsafe. I've also noticed a large volume of what I'd call "libfuds" - guys who think like Joe Biden and would reduce the 2A to shotguns or even just break-barrel shotguns, and tend to be very concerned with "gun safety" but know nothing of gun safety.

Open break action? Not an issue. Anything else? Not smart.

The muscle memory can bite you when you do it in some other similar circumstance.

I learned to handle firearms in the British Army and toe resting, muzzle covering (with the palm of your hand) and leaning a weapon against anything - tree, wall, etc. - were all severely discouraged. If you put a weapon down it goes where it can't fall - i.e. flat on the ground.

Real men hold their shotgun in their hands while shooting trap. They do not rest their gun on the ground or on their foot between shots.

Rub some dirt on it and finish the round suger britches.
I should save that one for the "Don't worry ,it's not loaded" dopes.

I shot trap for 10 years went all over shooting ATA. Did not see anything worse in those 10 years vs any other shooting sport.
Some rules need to be in thought or they don't work.
Never point the muzzle at anything you don't intend to destroy. I laughed a little when mentioned above about laying the gun on the ground. My father used to go all bonkers if he seen us leaning a gun on the truck or tree.
"Just put it on the ground so it won't fall" he rather us trip over the gun so we don't forget it.
I never understood the toe rest though. Often clubs I went to had thick rubber pads already on the ground.

One thing that might come of this is the club this happened at might ban toe rest.

He must have been Infantry.

I wonder if it whistles when he walks...

(H's a Fudd and he doesn't even know he's a Fudd.)

Ya. That's the ticket when you got nothing else to add.

Lets beat up the choke tube a little on that nice concrete station. They screw in to be easily replaceable. Some clubs have the rubber horse stall mats cut into squares. Maybe I should have stuffed the muzzle into the turf and filled it with dirt instead.

It really doesn't "look" that bad. I've seen much worse, but not much stupider...

Pat has the answer.

1) I shoot Trap
2) I do this. It's my foot.
3) Who carries? Who carries with a round in the chamber? When you're carrying, where is the muzzle pointed (appendix carry anyone?). Who carries with the hammer back, or a striker-fired gun, that does not have a Glock-style "add a little" action?

It's all a balance - I'd not feel comfortable carrying a 1911 withe the hammer back and a round in the pipe - too little metal holding the tension on the mainspring back. That's why a DA/SA is more my speed.

It's a personal choice, first to carry (or shoot), and then to balance the risks with regard to your sport/activity. People from the steel plate range that bash Trap people for this should stick to throwing metal at high velocity at other pieces of metal. What's that rule about shooting at hard, flat surfaces? [laugh] I was telling someone new to the game about the rule for dealing with a missfire/hangfire - wait 30 seconds, then check - and someone piped up, "I shoot IDPA (or some similar acronym), and I don't do that - that would cost me time!". Is he an idiot, or not? His choice.

As for slings, I use one, and I'm almost unique. Of course I don't run a specialized Trap gun, I shoot with field gun. On the line, a sling is pointless, as you're shooting once every 10-20 seconds on a well-run squad. Walking to the field, though....yeah, that's why I do it. But, if i'd spent $3,000+ for a nice Trap gun, I'd probable not want to spoil the lines with a sling. Like a Corvette with a utility trailer behind it.

Every activity has its "official" rules, and what's accepted, in practice. It's accepted in practice because, over time, the negative outcomes have been seen to be acceptable, overall

Nobody needs to skateboard, or ride a motor cycle, or skydive, or SCUBA dive, or ride a bicycle, or shoot for sport. At least in the opinion of somebody, that can point to injuries/fatalities in that activity. We do it because we want to. Or, we don't.

We should NOT tell others not to do things that we don't like, that don't affect us. That's something that Antis do.

Oh, as to the term "Fudd" being used....Yeah, there might be some on the Trap field - and, some of them might shoot more that Trap. Remember, when you want to spend $$$ on an Action Pistol Pit at your Club - you're spending money that the Fudds contributed. If it's like many Clubs, Trap and Skeet are probable the only self-funding committees (other that the bar) there. How many people at your club pony up $3 just to shoot at targets on the pistol range? How many threads are there on here, about target frames getting shot to hell? [laugh]

Stop the hatin'. Live and let shoot.

Pat has the answer.

1) I shoot Trap
2) I do this. It's my foot.
3) Who carries? Who carries with a round in the chamber? When you're carrying, where is the muzzle pointed (appendix carry anyone?). Who carries with the hammer back, or a striker-fired gun, that does not have a Glock-style "add a little" action?

It's all a balance - I'd not feel comfortable carrying a 1911 withe the hammer back and a round in the pipe - too little metal holding the tension on the mainspring back. That's why a DA/SA is more my speed.

It's a personal choice, first to carry (or shoot), and then to balance the risks with regard to your sport/activity. People from the steel plate range that bash Trap people for this should stick to throwing metal at high velocity at other pieces of metal. What's that rule about shooting at hard, flat surfaces? [laugh] I was telling someone new to the game about the rule for dealing with a missfire/hangfire - wait 30 seconds, then check - and someone piped up, "I shoot IDPA (or some similar acronym), and I don't do that - that would cost me time!". Is he an idiot, or not? His choice.

As for slings, I use one, and I'm almost unique. Of course I don't run a specialized Trap gun, I shoot with field gun. On the line, a sling is pointless, as you're shooting once every 10-20 seconds on a well-run squad. Walking to the field, though....yeah, that's why I do it. But, if i'd spent $3,000+ for a nice Trap gun, I'd probable not want to spoil the lines with a sling. Like a Corvette with a utility trailer behind it.

Every activity has its "official" rules, and what's accepted, in practice. It's accepted in practice because, over time, the negative outcomes have been seen to be acceptable, overall

Nobody needs to skateboard, or ride a motor cycle, or skydive, or SCUBA dive, or ride a bicycle, or shoot for sport. At least in the opinion of somebody, that can point to injuries/fatalities in that activity. We do it because we want to. Or, we don't.

We should NOT tell others not to do things that we don't like, that don't affect us. That's something that Antis do.

Oh, as to the term "Fudd" being used....Yeah, there might be some on the Trap field - and, some of them might shoot more that Trap. Remember, when you want to spend $$$ on an Action Pistol Pit at your Club - you're spending money that the Fudds contributed. If it's like many Clubs, Trap and Skeet are probable the only self-funding committees (other that the bar) there. How many people at your club pony up $3 just to shoot at targets on the pistol range? How many threads are there on here, about target frames getting shot to hell? [laugh]

Stop the hatin'. Live and let shoot.

/Thread

Back
Top Bottom