• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shotgun Slug Starts Fire @ Fireworks Store

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
This incident happened in September, they've only now set an arraignment date for the 75 year old guy.
How did this story elude us ???

Winchester man, 75, charged with firing gun, causing massive fire at local fireworks store

WINCHESTER -- A 75-year-old Winchester man faces seven charges, including four felonies, after state and local law enforcement officials said the wanton discharge of his shotgun set off a massive fire in September in a nearby fireworks store that caused up to $1 million in damages.

the probe confirmed that Champagne had shot off his 12-gauge slug-style shotgun and that the shell traveled through the exterior wall of nearby 156 Keene Road and went across Route 10 and into the Stateline Fireworks store, setting off the immediate ignition of fireworks stored inside.

Here's how I interpret this, the guy was fumbling with his shotgun inside his house, N/D's one though the wall, outside and across the highway, into the fireworks store, starting the fire.
I feel something is missing here, what's the probability a slug would start a fire ???
I'm pretty sure they're not red-hot in flight.

This incident happened in September, they've only now set an arraignment date for the 75 year old guy.
How did this story elude us ???

Winchester man, 75, charged with firing gun, causing massive fire at local fireworks store

Here's how I interpret this, the guy was fumbling with his shotgun inside his house, N/D's one though the wall, outside and across the highway, into the fireworks store, starting the fire.
I feel something is missing here, what's the probability a slug would start a fire ???
I'm pretty sure they're not red-hot in flight.
It may have been a hardened steel sabot slug that he handloaded. Those things have phenomenal penetration and range. If a steel slug struck a metal object in the store, like a steel or aluminum wall stud, rack or display case, it could indeed have caused a series of sparks. Some of those exotic shotgun loads that are available through mail order have also been linked to fires.

I tried to set a gasoline-soaked shed full of old wood and old bales of hay ablaze with explosive shotgun shells. It didn’t work. I had direct hits and booms on gas soaked bales of hay. Still no go. Wish dragons breath was available locally. Had to use an aim-n-flame. She went up good.

This sounds real fishy.

How could one ND result in four felony charges??

Consumer fireworks often contain a powder very similar to that in the exploding targets that are deflagrated by bullet impact. Ditto for tanerite (different powder composition though). It's not inconceivable that a gunshot into a case of fireworks could set them off.

I'd love to know how a slug that penetrated two sets of exterior walls set off all the fireworks as well....

This smells of insurance fraud to me....

A shotgun slug will easily penetrate multiple light construction walls. I don’t have any opinion on whether that could start a fire.

Accidentally shooting a fireworks store and burning it down kind of funny. Stealing a guy's guns then burying them in the backyard when the cops come knocking not cool, not cool at all.

fireworks-.jpeg

Rob's right flash powder which is used in fireworks is an impact explosive way more sensitive than tannerite.

Back
Top Bottom