• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Shotgun sling & pistol grip

Bought an IAC Hawk 982 which is basically a remington 870 clone, now im looking to throw some extras on it. Tried a search but didnt find much, looking for ideas on a good sling. Also what do I need, if its not included with the sling of course, to install either some D rings or another means to attach the sling to the shotgun. Its going to be more or less a home defense shotgun I would also like to hunt with in the future, though im sure ill pick up a few more shotguns that may be more suited towards that need.

Secondly, anyone have experience with this TAPCO pistol grip with adjustable stock? From what I understand its MA legal under the AWB being that its a shotgun.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=254811

Thanks.

No AWB issues with an 870 at all. For a singlepoint you'll want to connect to the back of the reciever. You could do a 2 point too.

I personally like to have a stock and hasty sling on my shotties, you know, so I can hit the broad side of the barn.

If it is going to be a home defense shotgun, I'd skip the sling and pistol grip. A sling would just add to the chances of getting hung up on a doorknob or piece of furniture. If you run dry, just drop it and transition to your handgun. A straight stock will make it far easier to shoot with some accuracy.

not to jump the thread but are these new ? Only asking because there was a place in mass that sold alot of norinco clone cway back. I do believe they had a "hawk" model clone of the 870. Interesting. Like to know where theses are manufactured or even where the parts are made then shipped to to be assembled for import.

2nd are there any guns comeing out of china to the usa ?

personally I would keep it the way it is....is it steel or aluminum reciever?

not to jump the thread but are these new ? Only asking because there was a place in mass that sold alot of norinco clone cway back. I do believe they had a "hawk" model clone of the 870. Interesting. Like to know where theses are manufactured or even where the parts are made then shipped to to be assembled for import.

2nd are there any guns comeing out of china to the usa ?

personally I would keep it the way it is....is it steel or aluminum reciever?
Holy thread resurrection!

I'm picking one of these up, so I did some digging. They are imported by Interstate Arms Corp, which is based in Billerica - IAC was started by the guys who ran Ivanhoe in Watertown - they closed Ivanhoe to focus on imports and the police market.

As for the receiver, they are steel, and they use less plastic parts than the 870 express. In addition, a bunch of the small action pieces that are MIM on the express are machined steel on the hawk.

If it is going to be a home defense shotgun, I'd skip the sling and pistol grip. A sling would just add to the chances of getting hung up on a doorknob or piece of furniture. If you run dry, just drop it and transition to your handgun. A straight stock will make it far easier to shoot with some accuracy.

You're probably right, but military training for close combat involves shooting from the hip, ignoring sights altogether. Hence the Pistol Grip.

(or at least it used to)

You're probably right, but military training for close combat involves shooting from the hip, ignoring sights altogether. Hence the Pistol Grip.

(or at least it used to)
Shooting a shotgun from the hip can actually be less comfortable with a pistol grip than a stock, depending on the grip angle.

Shooting a shotgun from the hip can actually be less comfortable with a pistol grip than a stock, depending on the grip angle.

Yes, but comfort may not be a factor in a firefight.

If confronted in my home, or yard, it's going to be a very close encounter.

(or at least it used to)

With the shotgun? Maybe. I haven't really received any in depth training with shotguns in the military, but with all other handheld weapons I've never had any from the hip training. Which branch?

With the shotgun? Maybe. I haven't really received any in depth training with shotguns in the military, but with all other handheld weapons I've never had any from the hip training. Which branch?

Aimed point shooting employs humans' innate ability to point accurately at targets in such a way that the shooter can use that ability to hit targets with a firearm.
The following is from Chap. 2, Sect. II, US Army Field Manual 23-25, Combat Training With Pistols & Revolvers:
When a soldier points, he instinctively points at the feature on the object on which his eyes are focused. An impulse from the brain causes the arm and hand to stop when the finger reaches the proper position. When the eyes are shifted to a new object or feature, the finger, hand, and arm also shift to this point. It is this inherent trait that can be used by the soldier to rapidly and accurately engage targets.[SUP][32][/SUP]
Walter J. Dorfner SSgt VSP, the Vice Chair of the Use of Force Committee of the Vermont Criminal Justice Training Council at the Vermont Police Academy in Pittsford, VT, wrote a paper that details his experimentation with using that method of aiming and shooting. He also was the lead firearms instructor for the VSP.
The one thing that point shooting methods have in common is that they do not rely on the sights, and they strive to increase the shooter's ability to hit targets at short range under the less-than-ideal conditions expected in close quarters, life-threatening situations, self-defense, and combat situations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_shooting#Rifle_Quick_Kill

1966 US Army Infantry School

http://pointshooting.com/qk.pdf

"methods of teaching individual soldiers to hit a targetinstantly at short ranges with a rifle without using sights"

The bottom line is if you are up against a Trained Point Shooter, in close combat, you'll be dead before you can even aim through Iron Sights.

The first time I read about it was during the Vietnam Era, which makes sense. Much of that war was fought very close, in heavy vegetation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom