Shotgun Shell Reloading

Can you use your standard press for shotgun shell reloading? I've seen "shotgun reloading presses" out there. Not sure what the deal is there.

Eric

There may have been a "die sets" made here and there to run on some of the pistol/rifle presses out there? I think though with the compition of the shotshell press manufactures the die sets never really took off.

There are many presses out there for shot shell
lee makes the most affordable, I have not had much luck with the lee's
entry level and for my submission MEC offers the best bang for the buck. If You look really hard you can find used MECs for a great price.
Dillons shotshell machines are nice but prices start to climb
I had a RCBS grand which runs 600ish new. I had a early model that was a real PITA to set yup and I had to get some updated parts from RCBS. I never got it running right before someone made a great offer to buy it.
SPOLAR GOLD WITH all the gizmos is the best I have ever seen, just shy of a commercial reloader. The spolar is very expensive. I got see one in action when I went to ATA shoot in CT.

As with any loader some like others better than others. Some are a bit easier to use and adjustments are simple and quick while others are a bit more mechanical.

I prefer mecs.
I have the jr,versamec,sizer,650,9000 all are good and easy to use. The 9000 can be a bit quirky but I have 3 of them. I purchased all mine used from yardsales,estate sales and from fellow shooters getting out of it.

Eric......ditto to what the others say. MEC is IMO amongst the least expensive with unlimited parts, easy to find, and totally function. I have a couple 600 Jr.'s Mark 5 and a 9000G and have had no problems with them. MEC customer service is excellent in what little I've dealt with them. All but one 600 Jr bought used.

Fast answer: You can't reload shot shells on a metallic cartridge reloading system. Too many dis-similar things going on.

I also have a MEC shot shell press for sale. Less than $100, and I'll split the shipping with you. Let me know. It's a manual press (manually index the stations), but it works fine (I used it until I bought a progressive press), and it comes with the owners manual.

Best way to find out the basics is to ask around your club - most "serious" trap shooters reload to save $.

but beware....everyone has a "pet" load that is the "best"....[laugh]

It's a pretty simple operation once you get the basics down, though there are a few pitfalls - components are generally not interchangable, and one does not "work up" loads as with metallic cartridges - get a manual, and go by it!

Another vote for the MEC.
I have a 600Jr that I've been using for nearly 30 years.
Still works great and they're not a lot of money.
I saw a used one for sale at the Holbrook show a few weeks ago for $60.

Eric,
Shotshells require a different type of press. While I have a MEC Versamec, there are a number of others available.

Not altogether true.

RCBS used to make 1" 12ga shotshell dies that could be used on a RockChucker press - after you removed the die bushing.

I use a MEC Versamec 700 press. But you won't go wrong with any MEC or, if you have the coin and plan on loading for skeet shooting, a Dillon.

If you are interested in a Hornady shotshell press, send a PM and I will put you in touch with the guy. It has seen VERY LITTLE use and you might be able to get it for short $. I have no idea what the setup goes for new but this one certainly looks like it just came out of the box.

mec,rcbs,dillon,hornady,spolar,PW all make great presses. For thier respective price points.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyP0LL43Jws theres a lot going on on this machine mechanically. If your not mechanically inclined it can probably drive you nuts when it goes bonkers on you.......Same with the PWs

If I was going to spend the big bucks I would go for the hydro or alectric operated rather than the manual pull handle.

Back
Top Bottom