Shotgun Safe and home defence??

What is the best way to keep a shotgun safe (two kids) in the house while still having it easily accessible for home defense? I don't own many guns, so these huge safes are too much.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

First off I wouldn't "just" hide it because kids find everything. My girlfriends dad had a hidden compartment on his bed and she still found them when she was 5 or 6. I'd run a cable lock through the mag well in the bottom and out the ejection port. Then find a combination lock that is easy to remove, or a key lock as long as you have the key on you at all times and they can't get to it. I like these more than trigger locks because you can grasp the lock in your hand to open it, which I think is less clumsy than trying to line up the whole gun to a key to get off the trigger lock. Plus, with a cable through it they cant even close the bolt.

Additionally, I'd make it somewhat of a pain in the ass for them to get to. Maybe put some hooks on the inside of a bedroom closet door up by the ceiling, so you can reach up and grab it, but they can't.

Mike

Last edited:
How old are the kids? The most important thing you can do is teach your kids proper firearms safety. Don't make the gun a mysterious taboo.

Otherwise, what's your budget? A tall key coded safe would be best ($500), but a Stack-On gun locker (<$100 from Dicks) bolted to the wall is better than nothing. Kids are really good at finding keys, and keys are difficult to manipulate in an emergency - might want to consider unlocking it before going to sleep (so long as your disciplined enough to lock it again in the morning).

Either way, if you're going to keep the gun for home defense, you really need to keep it loaded (and no trigger locks or cable locks through the action). An unloaded shotgun is just an awkward club.

If you're not comfortable with that, reconsider your home defense firearm. It's easier to maniupate a handgun (and a second hand is free to hold a flashlight). Perhaps a revolver or semi auto pistol in a gun vault (<$100) near the bed?

Last edited:
My son is 3 and a girl in the oven. $500 isn't bad, but it would be just for one maybe two long guns. Kind of a waste. Do they make any small keyless (code) safes? Kinda like the Microvault but for long guns?

Don't forget the first rule of gun storage - consider how much room you THINK you need, then double it. Just because there's lots of empty space now, doesn't mean you won't fill it over the years. Plus you can store your handguns in it, and anything else of value.

Check out FS's selection:

http://www.fsguns.com/safes.html

Maybe put some hooks on the inside of a bedroom closet door up by the ceiling, so you can reach up and grab it, but they can't.
Kids are far better climbers than you think...

You'll find out when they can reach it in an unfortunate incident years before thought it was possible if you are relying entirely on height...

Putting it up by the ceiling is not a be all end all solution, but if he is storing a loaded shotgun, say even only un-securing it at night, at least he'll notice his three your old climbing up the wall, where is if it was under the bed...

I disagree that if he has a trigger lock on it it may as well be a bat. Yes it is an extra 10 seconds which many will argue he might not have, but if he gets the right lock and practices opening it a bunch he won't necessarily be unable to get to it otherwise. One could also argue that if it is ready to go, even with kids, if there is a lock on it he can keep it closer to him because even if a child accesses it (say sneaks into the room and goes under the bed) he can't shoot it. Thus, that 10 seconds is negated. In boot camp we had our rifles locked to our beds with cable locks and a combo, and even under the "stress" of the environment with enough practice it was off in 5-7 seconds of when the drill instructors wanted it off.

The biggest factor here is that he is alerted that someone is in his house. Unless he's sleeping with a gun in his hand if they make it up to his room without him knowing it's over.

Mike

Putting it up by the ceiling is not a be all end all solution, but if he is storing a loaded shotgun, say even only un-securing it at night, at least he'll notice his three your old climbing up the wall, where is if it was under the bed...

I disagree that if he has a trigger lock on it it may as well be a bat. Yes it is an extra 10 seconds which many will argue he might not have, but if he gets the right lock and practices opening it a bunch he won't necessarily be unable to get to it otherwise. One could also argue that if it is ready to go, even with kids, if there is a lock on it he can keep it closer to him because even if a child accesses it (say sneaks into the room and goes under the bed) he can't shoot it. Thus, that 10 seconds is negated. In boot camp we had our rifles locked to our beds with cable locks and a combo, and even under the "stress" of the environment with enough practice it was off in 5-7 seconds of when the drill instructors wanted it off.

The biggest factor here is that he is alerted that someone is in his house. Unless he's sleeping with a gun in his hand if they make it up to his room without him knowing it's over.

Mike

I wouldn't rely on trigger locks with kids in the house. Here's why: http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/13/the-lockdown-gun-locks-unsafe-at-any-caliber/ Be sure to watch the video.

Any lock can be defeated, I was surprised how fast some of those were, however. I'm sure there are models out there which are more difficult to defeat. For example:
PCSRifleLock.jpg

Also, instead of the conventional cable locks, we used a cable with the ends crimped (probably better ways to do this) and a regular master lock around it.

Mike

I understand GunVault has a shotgun Breech Vault that is a keyed lock that fits into the breech for $20. I haven't seen one yet (maybe Marlboro?) but am interested in a couple.
Could keep a fully charged tube, run the pump back and lock it open but ready to go.

I have no suggestions, just wanted to point out the fact that your location says you're in MA and some of the storage ideas discussed here would be illegal for those of us not in a free state.

I could be wrong about this part, but even the homemade cable lock (cable with two crimped ends and a normal master lock) may be illegal in MA. Whichever storage method you use, make sure that it will keep your kids safe (both from an unsecured firearm, and from the threat of an intruder), and keep you out of jail, so you can protect them.

Well, my fear would be, theoretically you or someone else could run the slide forward then over ride the slide lock (like on my 870), chamber a round and wind up with a live round in the chamber and a lock that may need to be hastily removed on the trigger.
Which is why I like the idea of the Breech Vault, but still need to check them out personally.

Last edited:
Ive used hard shell cases with a regular Pad lock. Key hidden somewhere well with only THAT key on the ring. Honestly, with kids you cant be too Careful. The best thing to do is to Practice with what ever you choose. Give yourself a drill every once and a while. Just like some guys can take down a gun blind folded, I cant see how using a key could be much harder. Practice practice practice, sounds silly but every thing goes out the window when one of the little ones your protecting somehow gets a hold of something and gets hurt. I never underestimate the kids, I was one of those kids. I got out of everything, even the little baby jail my dad made around my sand box, earning the title of Houdini [laugh]

Why not just one of these and leave the slide open?

triggerlockcombo.jpg
The whole crux of heller was that such devices render your gun useless for hd.

A gv gets closer to being useful, but if you have ever tried to use it in a hurry, you will see its limitations as well.

Hd guns need to be cocked and loaded. Trigger locks are insane on such a gun...

What is the best way to keep a shotgun safe (two kids) in the house while still having it easily accessible for home defense? I don't own many guns, so these huge safes are too much.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Educate them on firearm safety. Tested and proven for hundreds of years.

Back
Top Bottom